Notices

Drinking to help sleep

Old 11-07-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking to help sleep

Hi guys.
I am new to the forum and I just wanted to hear your thoughts on this. Out of the blue I have had a lot of problems with insomnia over the past couple of months which led to me dreading going to bed worrying that I would not sleep so I spent lots of time staring at the ceiling because I was worried I would not sleep! one of the only things that helps me sleep quickly and take my mind off it has been alcohol. I don't drink a lot (maybe 2 or 3 glasses of wine or 2 cans of beer a few times a week) So what are your thoughts on this & do any of you "drink to sleep"?
Old 11-07-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to think alcohol helped me sleep. Wrong. Alcohol-induced sleep is not sleep at all, but just being unconscious. It actually ruins sleep, causing you to wake up when the alcohol wears off.

It took me a few weeks after I stopped drinking, but my sleep gradually got better. Now I sleep like a baby and wake up feeling good.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2/2016

Alcohol interfers with REM sleep, when I stopped drinking boy did I have dreams. You do not dream because you are not in deep REM when you drink alcohol. That is not good for the brain, at least for me. Alcohol woke me up with heart pounding, feelings of remorse in the morning. I passed out a lot, and my sleep was bad, nevermind the hang-overs.

Today, I sleep great. No problems. No weird dreams either, no sweats.
If I cannot sleep and it is rare, I take 3 mg of Melatonine.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have to admit that I don't dream when I sleep after drinking alcohol so I guess that is a sign that I am not in REM sleep?
Anyway thanks guys for the replies much appreciated, maybe I should try and quit the booze and find other ways to sleep & try to relax but I am such a worrier about not being able to sleep
Old 11-07-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What things are you worrying about? Alcohol is not a good way to get to sleep, because soon you will start drinking more to go back to sleep, or stay asleep (passed out).

I would work on whatever things you are ruminating about. When I can't sleep it's because something in my life needs attention/fixing. Therapy or maybe some prescribed sleep medication?

Is it that you can't go to sleep or you don't stay asleep?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can't go to sleep that is my problem, takes me hours to feel drowsy. Sometimes anxiety is a factor ( worrying about not getting to sleep) I need to calm down but I am worrier, always have been. Maybe I need to see if my doc can give me something to stop me worrying?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, anxiety does cause ruminating and worrying. So does depression and some other disorders.

Alcohol intensifies anxiety, though. Once it wears off, the anxiety ramps up.

Have you read anything on sleep hygiene? Here: WebMD Sleep Hygiene
Old 11-07-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have just drunk 3 glasses of wine and feel a bit intoxicated to say the least, surprised I can type as good as this, but no I haven't really tried sleep hygiene but I will try it see if it can work for me. Other than alcohol I have tried antihistamines like Promethazine Hydrochloride which seem to work sometimes for me, it makes me drowsy enough to sleep but it takes about an hour to kick in.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gaz

I used alcohol to help me sleep for years.

The trouble was I needed more and more alcohol as the years went on.

I would see a Dr - there's got to be a more effective solution, without the pitfalls of alcohol.

D
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have suffered from being unable to sleep due to anxiety in the past. It is a vicious circle.
The things that work best for me are pretty standard, but I am sleeping better than ever at the moment.
A good long walk really helps. I didn't associate physical fatigue with sleep in the past, but it definitely helps.
I also try to short circuit the whole thing by going to bed super early. That way, the anxiety is lessened by the knowledge that even if you miss an hour or two, you'll still get enough.
Everything has improved beyond recognition after stopping drinking. I'm just naturally tired at night and my residual anxiety has all but disappeared.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with all the comments here Gaz. I am diagnosed with GAD and I used alchohol as a failed attempt to treat it as well as a "sleep aid". Eventually it made things much worse, both in regards to my anxiety and my sleep. Since i've quit both areas have drastically improved. It was difficult at first because your body and mind have to adjust, but it will improve.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Relied on alcohol to sleep, then more alcohol, then alcohol + ambien, then ambien with a nice big glass of Stoli right before bedtime just to kill as many brain cells as possible. Still woke up at 3am heart pounding and angry. Only cure for me was getting off the sauce, regular sleep schedule, lots of exercise, and general de-stressing of the adrenal glands.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

i'm better off not sleeping at all then i am drinking and sleeping.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

weird, my hotlink didn't work...

Here: https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorder...leep-hygiene#1
Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I used to think alcohol helped me sleep. Wrong. Alcohol-induced sleep is not sleep at all, but just being unconscious. It actually ruins sleep, causing you to wake up when the alcohol wears off.

It took me a few weeks after I stopped drinking, but my sleep gradually got better. Now I sleep like a baby and wake up feeling good.
My experience was similar. In the long run I sleep a lot better w/o alcohol in my system. Can't say I sleep like a baby but it's certainly better w/o booze.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies guys, I certainly slept last night about 6 hours after 3 glasses of wine. But it looks like I should stop using alcohol for sleep. Just the thought of giving it up gives me some anxiety that I won't sleep. Maybe I need to talk to my doctor? I am my own worst enemy and need to calm down
I think tonight I will have to take an antihistamine to make me drowsy instead of any alcohol or just try and sleep without any sort of help.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

I could rattle off a list of products and such i've tried to help me sleep some work some dont they all had adverse side effects and i jsut gave up.

I've learned i'm better off with no sleep then trying some wtvr to help with it.

But for what its worth a few hours before bed turn the lights down try not to watch some overly stimluatling tv (IE no horror movies or suspsense or the news to make you mad etc..) try to have a routine before bed thats calming and starts winding you down light some candles even etc...

In my house its near impossible I have 6 kids nothing ever gets calm here lol.

When i drank I used to drink 15-20 beers then i'd pop 2 sleeping pills and 2 ibprofin the sleeping pills where to help me stay down. the beer was to help knock me the frick out and the ibprofin was to keep the 3 am wakeup call for more beer from driving me nuts it woudl help the shakes ease and such so i could maybe stay in bed and not wake back up for the day at 3am.

that was my routine. it didnt work! I'm better off not sleepign at all then doing any of the above. I'm lucky i'm not dead the little get to sleep cocktail i'd cook up each day *sigh*
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
2/2016

Tell me what is so bad about not sleeping? why does that make you anxious? poor work performance? bad for your health? if you dont mind telling us i would like to know what the fear is.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just don't feel 100% when I don't sleep properly, I feel weaker and it makes me irritable. When I get a good sleep I feel happier and refreshed.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gaz1985 View Post
I just don't feel 100% when I don't sleep properly, I feel weaker and it makes me irritable. When I get a good sleep I feel happier and refreshed.
I can relate Gaz,
I had a fear of not getting enough sleep. I also suffer from GAD which doesn't help. At one point I was drinking, taking benzo's and sleeping pills just to knock me out. I alway's went for numb to sleep and always woke up feeling miserable.
I'm now 73 day's sober, on proper medication under the guide of my Dr. and some nights I sleep good, other nights not so much.

I agree with with everyone above, using alcohol as a crutch to sleep is a dangerous road, You'll end up needing more to get the desired effect. Plus alcohol increases anxiety, depression and you really don't get a good nights sleep with alcohol in your system.

If it were me, I'd go see my Dr. They can prescribe short term non addictive meds.

I hope you find a better solution.