Notices

Drinking to help sleep

Old 11-15-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
2/2016

A bottle of wine or 4 beers at a time are more than the recommended allowance. Every night that adds up to health concerns more than loss of sleep. just saying
Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
A bottle of wine or 4 beers at a time are more than the recommended allowance. Every night that adds up to health concerns more than loss of sleep. just saying
I know, just I have been so desperate for at least a few hours rest and the alcohol has given me it & I wake up feeling fine, I know I have a problem with drink but I just don't know else to do, I don't want sleeping tablets and I cannot seem to get to sleep by myself
Old 11-15-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Insomnia is a difficult issue to be certain Gaz. I dealt with it a lot in early sobriety, it took literally months for me to get back to anything close to a "regular" sleep routine. But it was absolutely possible without relying on alcohol or any sleeping aids, or any drugs at all for that matter.

A couple of things you'll need to accept if you really want to solve this once and for all

1. Quitting drinking completely is the only long term solution. If you continue to drink, your dependence will grow and eventually alcohol won't even get you any sleep - I have been there and it's not someplace you want to be.

2. Initially it's going to be rough. You will have to accept that you probably won't be getting much sleep at first. It takes time for your body to adjust, and not just a matter of a few days. Your body will eventually know that it needs rest and sleep will come. But long term the benefits will FAR outweigh all the damage that drinking will inflict.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Insomnia is a difficult issue to be certain Gaz. I dealt with it a lot in early sobriety, it took literally months for me to get back to anything close to a "regular" sleep routine. But it was absolutely possible without relying on alcohol or any sleeping aids, or any drugs at all for that matter.

A couple of things you'll need to accept if you really want to solve this once and for all

1. Quitting drinking completely is the only long term solution. If you continue to drink, your dependence will grow and eventually alcohol won't even get you any sleep - I have been there and it's not someplace you want to be.

2. Initially it's going to be rough. You will have to accept that you probably won't be getting much sleep at first. It takes time for your body to adjust, and not just a matter of a few days. Your body will eventually know that it needs rest and sleep will come. But long term the benefits will FAR outweigh all the damage that drinking will inflict.
Thanks for the advice, I'm in a bad place right now but hopefully I will get better & try to wean myself off the drink.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Gaz1985 View Post
Thanks for the advice, I'm in a bad place right now but hopefully I will get better & try to wean myself off the drink.
Don't rule out seeking some professional help with this. You mentioned anxiety issues too, that can definitely mess with sleep. There are counselors that deal specifically with addiction and issues like this that may be able to help you.

Tapering/weaning is rarely successful in situations like this just so you are aware. As alcholics, we are not in "control" of our drinking, and tapering is a form of control. Not to say that it's impossible, but based on the vast majority if situations/stories here it generally does not work.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Don't rule out seeking some professional help with this. You mentioned anxiety issues too, that can definitely mess with sleep. There are counselors that deal specifically with addiction and issues like this that may be able to help you.

Tapering/weaning is rarely successful in situations like this just so you are aware. As alcholics, we are not in "control" of our drinking, and tapering is a form of control. Not to say that it's impossible, but based on the vast majority if situations/stories here it generally does not work.
Yep I have terrible anxiety, sometimes for no reason at all, then when the insomnia started I began to worry about that so making my anxiety even worse, sometimes I take a Magnesium supplement which sometimes helps ease the anxiety but it doesn't completely stop it. I will try and get some help and talk to someone, my doctor just wants to throw pills at me and I don't think that's the solution. I was looking at some herbal teas the other day with things like camomile, passionflower, lemonflower in them. Designed to be drank before bedtime. They are supposed to be good for calming you down and relaxing you, so I may try those.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep I have terrible anxiety, sometimes for no reason at all, then when the insomnia started I began to worry about that so making my anxiety even worse, sometimes I take a Magnesium supplement which sometimes helps ease the anxiety but it doesn't completely stop it. I will try and get some help and talk to someone, my doctor just wants to throw pills at me and I don't think that's the solution. I was looking at some herbal teas the other day with things like camomile, passionflower, lemonflower in them. Designed to be drank before bedtime. They are supposed to be good for calming you down and relaxing you, so I may try those.
I would highly recommend speaking with a counselor. I agree that most medical doctors do just want to "throw a pill" at the situation. I think herbal/otc remedies fall in the same category though too - they just postpone/avoid facing the real problem.

There is no magic pill/herb/tea that can cure anxiety. Sure, some of them can treat the symptoms...but I firmly believe that it takes a combination of many lifestyle changes. Just as there is no magic cure for addiction...it takes work.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Drinking to sleep is NOT a solution. For me, doing this combined with prescription sleep meds led to disaster.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor, possibly with a psych consult with a psychiatrist. Insomnia is DEFINITELY a problem in early recovery, it's almost a given. Insomnia may also be a symptom of a number of physical and mental disorders. There are medications, some non-addictive, that can be useful in the short term. There are other non-medical treatments in the long term for anxiety, and cognitive therapy can be extremely effective.

A doctor is your best bet. In any event, using alcohol as a sleep aid is a terrible idea. Not only does it contribute to your addiction, it's a terrible sleep aid, as the effect on sleep structure does not lead to restful sleep.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

...I don't want sleeping tablets...
I hope it's not because you don't want to rely on drugs to help you sleep, because that's exactly what you're doing with alcohol.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I hope it's not because you don't want to rely on drugs to help you sleep, because that's exactly what you're doing with alcohol.
Funny thing is alcohol didn't work as well for me last night as I only got a couple of hours sleep, I drank 4 cans of cider which is popular drink here in the UK but I guess the 5 teaspoons of sugar and artificial sweeteners that they put in each can won't help sleep. I only realised that today after looking at the cans ingredients. No alcohol for me tonight.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Funny thing is alcohol didn't work as well for me last night as I only got a couple of hours sleep, I drank 4 cans of cider which is popular drink here in the UK but I guess the 5 teaspoons of sugar and artificial sweeteners that they put in each can won't help sleep. I only realised that today after looking at the cans ingredients. No alcohol for me tonight.
It quit "working" for me eventually too. And it might not have been the sugar - it could just be your body finally building up a dependence to the alcohol. Either way, I think you are making a wise decision to go without tonight.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Just thought I would give you guys an update on how I am getting on. I am sleeping better now compared to my last post a month ago. I don't "drink to sleep" anymore either. I have learned to relax more now and I have not had a completely sleepless night for about 3 and half weeks so that's great I have also stayed away from regular alcohol consumption. I am not completely tee total, I have a drink or two the weekend but that is it - none at all through the week. Overall I am doing a lot better now and my appetite is also improving a lot, I'm not a doctor but I guess that's a sign I am more contented & my overall health must be getting better.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear that things are improving for you Gaz, thanks for checking in.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi guys I have had major relapse over the past 3 weeks, my sleeping got worse and I started drinking 4 cans of beers every night for 3 solid weeks, they helped me sleep but I did not drink last night and did not sleep at all. Is this a common thing to happen when you suddenly quit? I have also had some minor muscle spasms in my arms and legs since yesterday, is that withdrawal symptoms?
Old 03-14-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia is very common in withdrawal Gaz - the trouble is if you drink again the process starts all over again.

For me it took about 10 days to 2 weeks for me to go from no sleep at all to a fairly unbroken sleep. Others have taken longer.

If you cant deal with a period of sleeplessness can you see a Dr and discuss it with them? Anything has got to be better than re- boarding the crazy train.

D
Old 03-14-2018, 08:57 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi guys I have had major relapse over the past 3 weeks, my sleeping got worse and I started drinking 4 cans of beers every night for 3 solid weeks, they helped me sleep but I did not drink last night and did not sleep at all. Is this a common thing to happen when you suddenly quit? I have also had some minor muscle spasms in my arms and legs since yesterday, is that withdrawal symptoms?
Yes, it's very common for your body to react adversely right after quitting -insomnia being one of the very common side-effects. Subsequent cycles of drinking/quitting can also cause the withdrawal symptoms to be worse each time - there is actually a term to describe it called "kindling"

As far as the spasms, they could be related to withdrawal but it's not possible to say for certain here - you'd need to see a doctor to confirm that one way or the other.