Notices

Not sure where AA stands in my life

Old 11-09-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Tom: how did he explain himself? What were you saying to him that would make him think that? I’m well aware of how sneaky this addiction is and checking myself a lot to see if my thinking is in order, because I know it works on you behind the scenes....behind consciousness, then people “suddenly drink” but that relapse was in motion for awhile.
welp, he really didnt have to explain himself as i was aware of what a pre meditated drunk resembled-slipping into old habits- ways of thinking and acting.
and i was getting extremely arrogant,cocky, sarcastic....prolly a few other old habits were kikin,too. it wasnt just one thing i said or did- it was a group of actions and words over time that he saw,but i couldnt.
a wee bit of denial there.
and he saw and heard it in me over a couple of months.
which i didnt know until after i caught it,then called him to say,"i didnt drink, but you were right- ive been on a pre meditated drunk." later that day,after a meeting, we had a talk and he told me what he had been seeing and hearing.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

p.s.
that fear of relapse,imo, can be a healthy fear and an asset if used properly.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Sigh. Why does the mention of AA cause so much conflict? I think that's an interesting question to pose: since we are all here for the same reason; to free ourselves from the prison of alcohol.
My feeling is this has always been the case. When I got sober those who didn't like AA simply stopped showing up. But today in the age of the internet people are able to share their views on-line.

Here at SR posters like SS can weigh their concerns without worrying about being potentially judged or ostracized by some in a meeting.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
If I were gonna go the AA route, I'd commit to it fully and "work the program". But then again, going the AA route would only be a last resort for me.
As a long time AAer I completely agree with this. Going to AA was the last resort for me as it was for most AA members I know. Who would want to work with dirty smelly drunks if they didn't have to? The only reason I went was because nothing else worked and I was out of options. I think this is the best way to approach AA, as a last resort, not a first resort.

As it was the last resort I was more than willing to make the effort. I committed fully and worked the program and got the promised result.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really believe this

Do whatever it takes.
'Whatever it takes' will vary from person to person.

What I really like to see in threads like these is people sharing their own experiences on what's worked for them, not their opinions on what doesn't work.

D
Old 11-09-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I posted the original post because I do not have a long period of sobriety behind me. I feel determined, but I am also concerned about relapse. Knowing my personality, I feel like I am equally likely to relapse after committing completely to AA as I am to relapse while just using it as a support rather than a lifestyle. I easily rebel against anyone or anything that tells me what to do. I'm really not a "believer." I'm a "questioner." I guess you could use the word "skeptic." I require proof.
I can relate to the skeptic though I was too beaten up to question anything. There is research (Crapes) and probably others that clearly shows the chances of staying sober increase exponentially if we help others. My experience supports this. The research showed that the greatest success was among those who sponsored (gave support) so the trick seems to be to learn how to be a sponsor, which involves committing to the program. There was no difference in outcome between thos sponsored (supported) and those not sponsored (taking support or not). The takers don't do that well it seems.

I didnt believe two things when I started AA. First, I didn't believe it would work for me, but it was the last resort. Second I had no belief in a god. I wanted proof about that.

Proof that the program worked was provided initially by the recovered alcholics I met who gave their testimony. It was enough to get me started. When I came to steps two and three, I was willing to believe and hand over my will and life, if I got some proof. That was enough to get me through the next two steps, then I got my proof.

The big book is AAs text book and also its prospectus. It tells me what happened when the authors and early members adopted the principles contained in the program. The promises for each step are there clear as day. The trouble for me was I couldnt see them because all the good stuff was beyond my experience, so whatever I read in that regard was just words. It didn't mean anything.

The only way to overcome the skepticism is to take the action and experience the result. Action comes first and is followed by understanding. The AA program cannot be understood in advance.
It is not a prospectus for a business venture or a travel itinerary. I have heard people use the anology of sex. It can be read about, talked about, but until you do it, you have no real idea what it is like.

I don't know how to manage the risk of relapse, for an alcoholic of my type, other than having the alchol problem removed completely, which is what AA has done.

There is much talk about reading the signs and having strategies, but this approach is unreliable. There are points at which the relapse process can be observed. It goes a bit like this. Pre relapse the people around you will see the signs. One treatment centre called it "budding", building up to drink. The relapser will only get to know about this when the drink is down their neck. The second point of observation is post relapse. The relapser will see how all the signs were there, but it is not much use because the fatal first drink has already been taken. Then comes the bafflement of how could that happen?

The problem for me pre AA was that I only discovered the flaws in my plan when a drink appeared in my hand. Up to that point I thought I had it beat.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Mel, you didn't offend me.

I don't know how I can better explain the "take what you want and leave the rest" than I did in my two posts where I addressed the steps and program.

Again, I have to stress that "people with hidden agendas" and basically, having their own junk that thy spread around meetings and such - are exactly why AA tells us it must focus on the program, not personalities. That means the program comes before you or me or anyone and how we behave.

I am also confused about your comment about "spending the weekend" away. AA mtgs are an hour (usually) unless you are going on a retreat, you wouldn't be away from anything for a wkd. Lots of us find it hard to fit meetings into our schedule because we do want to be with our families at night, etc. We all juggle life commitments and values related to how we spend our time. I decided that meeting attendance was important enough to me to find times it will work, now I am at 4-6 a week at almost 21 mo sober, and rarely get below 3. The truth is I CAN ind time for them.

Lastly, I am sad that people have "impressions" or "convictions" about AA that include things like "its a hierarchy" with the most sober telling others what to do, to paraphrase you. That's again not what the program is about, and again, an example of how SOME people in the program (the personalities) might behave....but actually, the TRUTH about AA is that the Newcomer is the most important person in the room if the program and its members are running correctly.

And what those with longer sober time ARE supposed to do is share their ESH with the newcomers - their Experiences, what it was like; their Strength, what happened when they quit; and their Hope sharing what life is like now. This isn't telling anyone what to do. I statements ("I have found...") not you statements ("You really should...") are supposed to guide our contribution.

Last- and I am not in any way saying AA is for everyone- but these recent threads where folks use words like "cult" and "hierarchical" structure, and "dogma," make me sad that so many people run on assumptions or half-truths or complete misinformation and "share" it as what AA is.

Peacing out.
Yes, the newcomer is generally considered the most important person at the meeting. However, I don`t believe it`s wrong to suggest meetings often have pecking order usually based on sobriety date. I find this fairly common.

As far as members with hidden agendas Imo, the vast majority who attend meetings do so to help with their sobriety and/or enjoy the social aspect. They`re harmless and often helpful. Unfortunately, there are also those who get off on their status within the room and they often have a dominate personality to match.

But again… meetings vary which is why I always recommend the newcomer check out various meetings before deciding AA isn’t for them.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I was just thinking about the idea of AA as a support group. Support for what? AA most definitely is not a support group in the usual understanding, which seems to be "if I ever feel like drinking I can call on my support group to keep me sober" This never works for the real alcoholic. Once the obsession returns, the last thing they will do is call anyone who might get between them and a drink.
What is a "real alcoholic?"

Originally Posted by MelSober View Post
AA seems to attract or create some real fans and that is good, but it also can go too far if someone puts themselves in the position to judge what will work in someone else's recovery.
This.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:36 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
A person that obsesses about drinking when not drinking. And once this person begins drinking develops a craving to continue to drink.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

This.
Refer page 21- 22 of the book Alcoholics Anonymous for a rough idea.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

A “real” alcoholic is…well... an alcoholic. Not say the drinker who might be labeled an alcoholic but doesn`t necessarily obsess over a drink. They like to get smashed but don`t automatically crave another pitcher or bottle.

My uncle was told by a doctor to stop drinking. That he had damaged his liver. Fine. He stopped drinking. Just like that. He was done. Was he an alcoholic? Probably not as defined in BB of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I think this is meant for Tatsy- I fully agree that people who have actually tried AA, even if it means just a few meetings, can legitimately share their OWN experiences. It's better "data" if people actually try the program and then share. What I was trying to say is when people assert opinions or declarations about what AA is....based on hearsay or OTHER'S experiences.

Ex: I don't do SMART recovery, so I cannot comment on what I only know from listening to people around here. IMO, this COULD include saying "hmm, that sounds interesting and something I would like to understand better" but NOT "I hear it's not the way bc [x, y, z]."

Also, the BB describes "heavy drinkers" who might be able to quit for a reason like health issues, it being a phase of their life that they are done with, and such - this is not the same as a 'real alcoholic' who cannot drink safely like the former heavy drinker could decide (note that word) to do.

I know people who introduce themselves as "HI, I am Joe and I am a real alcoholic" - because it reinforces the reality to themselves.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I find it a bit weird when the subject of who is a real alcoholic and who isn't comes up.

If someone tells me they're an alcoholic they are an alcoholic

A real alcoholic.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

AA has been great for me. But I don't believe it is the only way. My grandfather was an extreme alcoholic who got sober and stayed sober the last 25 years of his life without AA. He was very religious and went to church on a daily basis. I think that was his recovery program.

One pet peeve I have in AA are the few guys who like to tell their stories about first coming in and being told to "sit down and be quiet" or "don't share for 90 days" or "take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth". I hate this because I believe it flies in the face of exactly what AA is supposed to be. Thank God Bill W. didn't tell Dr. Bob to keep his mouth shut for 90 days.

If a newcomer goes off on a tangent in a meeting, that is great as far as I'm concerned. It serves a couple of big purposes. First, the person is likely hurting. Going on a disjointed diatribe may be part of their process of coming to terms with their situation. Secondly, it serves as a great reminder as to what it is like to still be in the the throws of this addiction.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove.
The alcoholic may say to himself in the most casual way, "It won't burn me this time, so here's how!" Or perhaps he doesn't think at all. How often have some of us begun to drink in this nonchalant way, and after the third or fourth, pounded on the bar and said to ourselves, "For God's sake, how did I ever get started again?" Only to have that thought supplanted by "Well, I'll stop with the sixth drink." Or "What's the use anyhow?"
I looked up page 21-22 in the BB and found this on page 23. What they are writing about is Addictive Voice, they just didn't call it that back then. There is a defense against IT now! It's called AVRT. I have seriously wondered if the founding members of AA would have made it different if they knew back then what we know today. I am a "real" alcoholic, just because I didn't have a religious conversion to quit doesn't make my addiction to alcohol any less real. My brain worked just like how the BB of AA described above. They understood about the AV, what they didn't understand was how to arm themselves against that voice so they used religion which was understandable for the times.... times are different today though and so is our understanding of how the brain works. Sure AA still works for some, but it is failing for many, there are a lot of people out there who don't want to have a religious conversion or spiritual awakening yet still desperately need to quit drinking.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
nez

There are AA thumpers. There are anti-AA thumpers. In their zeal, thumpers don't get to fully experience all of the happiness, joy, and freedom that recovery offers. Recovery isn't a competition and recruiting drive about my way is the true way. Recovery is a broad highway, the key for the individual is to pick the right lane for them.

Whatever gets you to the party...
Old 11-10-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

And this thread is closed folks. This same tired/old argument is played out here over and over and over. I am not sure how many times we need to say it, but we are not here to compare how "good" or "bad" one recovery method is to another. We are here to SUPPORT each other in whatever recovery method we choose.