Notices

When will enough be enough....

Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will enough be enough....

Feeling so disgusted. I knew I should have stayed home friday. I went out and told myself just two. A whole bottle of tequila later. The next morning kept it going. I hate it. I become this sloppt drunk and there is no taking it slow. I drink rapidly, no social drinking for me! I dont drink everyday nor do I keep alcohol in my home. I drink every 3 weeks or so but I get plastered! Feeling so low and embarrased. I am 38 and when will I get it together?! This ugly cycle is killing my spirit. This vicious cycle. I get drunk and spend 3 days hating myself. Need some feedback, please!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi justme,
I had to believe with all my heart and soul that I just couldn't drink anymore. I had to change so many things in my life so I didn't drink anymore. It wasn't easy, there were so many failed attempts. I had to stop drinking forever. It's hard to accept it but it has changed my life. Just don't ever give up. Life is so much better
Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

only you can say when it's over. that can be liberating and terrifying all at once...one thing is for sure though. it gets much easier as time passes.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't drink everyday until it got really bad.
After I recovered, three days, from the last drunk it was off to the races again.
I didn't try and fool myself with just a couple. I drank to get drunk.
Walk to the liquor store at 8:30am and buy two shooters of whiskey and a twelve pack to get things going.
Drink the two shooters on the walk home. Real social drinking, eh?
Who knew where it would end from there.
Such was my past life.

You'll get it together when you decide, like I did, that you've had enough and want to change your life.
No one is going to do it for you, except maybe AA. I know I'd be dead or living under a bridge without AA.

It's up to you. Sometimes there are no softer, easier ways.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think enough will be enough when you decide it's enough, and not before. Not trying to be cute at all, it's just that only you have the power to change your situation - whether that's a solo effort, or using support groups, since you have to make the decision to use those supports. Maybe make a plan, next time you decide to get plastered on a binge, what will you do instead?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back justme. As others have said, the change can happen anytime you choose. Most of us needed support though.....once you decide to quit for good you will find a lot of it here.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Justme,
I really believe that we can pick the point at which we stop , without having to have some catastrophe happen.

If you really are sick and tired of this, what are you prepared to do about it?

D
Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I needed to recgnise that it wasn't the 5th or 10th drink that cause the problems, but the first one. If you don't take that first drink it won't end up in a binge. If you do, chances are it'll end up just like before.

If nothing changes, then nothing will change. And only WE can make those changes in our lives. Noone else.

At first those changes will seem uncomfortable, scary, and not very much fun. That's just the way of it. It took me some time to realise that there was never going to be a day when this stuff was going to be easy. I just needed to draw that line and lean into the discomfort. The good news is that the discomfort doesn't last forever, as long as we put some work into our recovery. Once we start to learn who we are minus alcohol, we invariably find that this is a more pleasant and all round easier person to live with and as.

But only you can decide when you are ready to stop full stop. To change your life and way of dealing with things and people (that's what it is - not just stopping drinking).

Are you ready for that yet?

BB
Old 11-06-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good comments above, and as usual I concur particularly with Berrybean.

"Lean into the discomfort" - "acceptance" [ that we cannot drink normally] - "change" [everything in our life, for many of us but especially our thinking and the idea of OUR will]

I promise you that it is far better on this side than I ever imagined, and i had to go through some years of loss and devastation to get to my stopping point.

"It takes what it takes" - and you are the only one who can end the cycle, pain, and horrible feelings. Best to you.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My question is, what makes you think you have any more chances to quit? It sounds like your a binge drinker. Bad things happen when this occurs. You could get seriously hurt. Blackout. Die of alcohol poisoning. Numerous drastic consequences could happen. The outcome will most certainly be negative.
If your given the chance to come to your senses about your disease then act on it. Time is short and precious. Don't waste it.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!❤️
Old 11-07-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You'll be done when...... Well, when you are done and ready to change that aspect of your life.

We all know its not easy. We all know the consequences.

How about reaching out here before you choose to throw all caution to the wind?

Call a friend. Call anyone. Do anything else but stay away from that first drink.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've come to learn that there are lots of people who cannot stop drinking when they start. I'm one and I now know a lot of others. In my case, it took me a long time to realize what a lot of folks on here are saying - I had to decide when I'd had enough. I used to think that was a smart *** response from people who were being condescending. I've come to learn that it isn't that at all. It's just simply a fact.

You said you are 38. I mention this because you also talk about the awful mental health effects of getting smashed. I can feel you there. In my case, those effects got exponentially worse once I hit my early 40s. I'm not saying this will happen to you, but physiological changes normal to aging seemed t have made my body's defenses against alcohol much weaker in those years.

I know exactly what it's like to sit there and feel disgusted by your actions. I dreaded the thought of a life without booze. But as so many on here have said, it becomes much easier over time. I now rarely think of alcohol and have absolutely no desire to drink. I have to do things to keep that status, but it is a HUGE relief.

God bless.