Notices

First sickie in sobriety...

Old 11-05-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sickie in sobriety...

Woke up today severe back ache and unfortunately had to phone in sick as im a nurse and no way could have worked today . Brought back so many awful memories of when i used to wake up at the dreaded 4 am pounding heart ...with anxiety about how much i had drunk the night before and that i would still be drunk for my early shift and at best anxious and hungover.... so even though i felt still guilty about having to take a day off sooo pleased and so grateful to be 14 and half months sober and this my first sickie not at all drink related in sobriety 🤗
Old 11-05-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Samantha

It’s okay to call in sick when you actually are .
I always get nervous when I do it too, I think everyone does. It just feels weird not to go into work.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon warbywig
Old 11-05-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I remember the first times I got sick - last fall was between 7-9 mo for me and I got a number of serious colds and once, strep. I remember being so glad THAT was why I was sick. And also the restlessness and boredom I had to stop and turn into appreciation of time home (believing it was for a reason, which it turned out each time was!) with drs making me take 2-3 days off each time.

This fall, I haven't gotten sick - SO FAR - and appreciate that too!
Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I had my first sober cold I was shocked at how awful it felt since I hadn't been present for one in a decade. My least favorite AA saying is "life on life's terms". You did the right thing and I hope you call others for support. Congrats on 14 years!