Notices

Tough Emotions

Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I think nearly every addict uses/drinks to numb out and avoid depression, anxiety, and the painful feelings and distorted thoughts that underlie the anxiety and depression. Once our “medication” is no longer there, what’s left is the underlying depression and anxiety. Coupled with the physical effects of early recovery, where we are all basically a raw nerve, and it’s a pretty miserable place to be. Abstinence alone sucks, because we are not dealing with the underlying causes. Sobriety begins to address these deeper issues, so that healing our old wounds can begin.

To me there are seven stages of recovery, it’s an ongoing process, and there is a lot of overlap. This is of course an ongoing process.

1). Abstinance. This took inpatient rehab for me. Diet and exercise helped tremendously here. I’ve lost a ton of weight and built muscle. Endorphins and a more positive body image were crucial to me.

2). Dealing with physical anxiety and depression through finding the right psychiatric cocktail. I have bipolar disorder, which can absolutely be controlled with medication, as it has a biological component.

3). 12 step to find a fellowship, and realize that our ego and willpower isn’t enough to keep us abstinent. Some larger force, or at least a more visceral part of our psyche, needs to be engaged.

4). Cognitive/behavioral group therapy to manage cravings, as well as the distorted thinking that contributes to depression and anxiety. Google cognitive distortions if you don’t know what this means.

5). Individual deeper psychodynamic therapy to address the underlying causes mentioned above.

6). Working the fourth step. I don’t call them character defects, but rather old scripts, many of which started in childhood, that lead to thinking and behavior that no longer work

7). Finding a spiritual practice that works for me. Christian faith isn’t my thing, nor is traditional prayer. I don’t believe in a personal God, but I do sense a force that I can tap into with meditation, more of a Buddhist practice.

This is my journey. I threw every weapon available to me in recovery. In every step the Serenity Prayer played a major part.

What does your journey look like?
Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Huh. "Filling a void."

I'm impressed that you have awareness of a 'void'. I think many folks never slow down long enough to do that. So, take heart, dear. This void you're aware of....keep on working your recovery...meditate, pray....keep feeding on good things...and I think that will lead you in right directions...

Or maybe I should say: There are many people who feel a void in their lives and they try to fill that void with things that can lead them to destruction and onto unhealthy paths.

The 'void' doesn't feel good. So what do people often do? Hurry up and start doing things, like drink or any other escape-type methods, shop, spend money, overeat, gamble...anything that gets the dopamine fired up if only on a temporary basis...

I almost cannot stress enough the importance of feeding on good things- PHYSICALLY as well as mentally, emotionally, spiritually.

...be patient about "feeling better". Can't rush this....