Notices

Update/Thanks

Old 10-21-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update/Thanks

First off,

Thank you to everyone (doggone, Hevyn, least, Dee, ScottinWY, Oblaid, stayingsassy, etc.). who has helped me get this far (5 days!). I couldn't have done it without you. Those first days were hell, but I feel great now. And really strong (although I know it will be tough).

Usually today I would be going to the Hunt. It's a NJ annual horse race event where everyone drinks from 10-4 and then we usually continue at a friend's home. Today, instead, I will be babysitting for my niece and nephew, taking them to do a junior ropes course they've been wanting to try out. I NEVER would have missed out on such a "fun" day like the hunt in the past, even though there was NOTHING fun about it but the drinking. And, had I been babysitting before, I would have been eagerly awaiting kiddo bedtime so I could make myself a drink.

Now, though? I'm up at 6:45am, cleaning my apartment a bit before leaving, heading out to a great fun-filled day with a 6 and 8 year old who love me, and am going to hit the hay this evening at 8:30 when they do after introducing them to one episode of Little House on the Prairie (my childhood favorite) on amazon. This is heaven.

Thank you all so, so much for your support thus far. It has meant the world, to me and to my family.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Sohard;6644426]First off,

Thank you to everyone (doggone, Hevyn, least, Dee, ScottinWY, Oblaid, stayingsassy, etc.). who has helped me get this far (5 days!). I couldn't have done it without you. Those first days were hell, but I feel great now. And really strong (although I know it will be tough).

Usually today I would be going to the Hunt. It's a NJ annual horse race event where everyone drinks from 10-4 and then we usually continue at a friend's home. Today, instead, I will be babysitting for my niece and nephew, taking them to do a junior ropes course they've been wanting to try out. I NEVER would have missed out on such a "fun" day like the hunt in the past, even though there was NOTHING fun about it but the drinking. And, had I been babysitting before, I would have been eagerly awaiting kiddo bedtime so I could make myself a drink.

Now, though? I'm up at 6:45am, cleaning my apartment a bit before leaving, heading out to a great fun-filled day with a 6 and 8 year old who love me, and am going to hit the hay this evening at 8:30 when they do after introducing them to one episode of Little House on the Prairie (my childhood favorite) on amazon. This is heaven.

Thank you all so, so much for your support thus far. It has meant the world, to me and to my family.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nah, you're doing the heavy lifting Sohard - congrats

D
Old 10-21-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sylvie83 View Post
Beautiful post WELL DONE!!
I'll tell you what...those two little ones will be happy to have their uncle around for the day. Sounds like you have some great plans for them too
Their 'aunt', but yes, it will be great! And thank you!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, that event sounds like one that none of us needs to go to, that would be triggering for sure. Your day today sounds so fun, I want to do a ropes course!! I’m getting mre into the concept of “play” since starting gym workouts a year ago, now that’s I’m sober the possibilities are limitless. I loved little house ...too, Anne of green gables is another great one. Congrats on your new sobriety!
Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Sohard. Hope you're hanging in there. Fighting my own fight, but know that we're not alone in this.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corriec View Post
Hi, Sohard. Hope you're hanging in there. Fighting my own fight, but know that we're not alone in this.
Thanks so much!!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Wow, that event sounds like one that none of us needs to go to, that would be triggering for sure. Your day today sounds so fun, I want to do a ropes course!! I’m getting mre into the concept of “play” since starting gym workouts a year ago, now that’s I’m sober the possibilities are limitless. I loved little house ...too, Anne of green gables is another great one. Congrats on your new sobriety!
Oh gosh, I bought my niece Anne of Green Gables for x-mas! It's interesting, bc the alcoholic side of me does not mesh at all with the corny, sappy and wholesome side of me who can recite every little house episode and all of sound of music by heart.

My sister came home WASTED from the hunt, definitely more drunk by FAR than I have ever seen her. I'm horrified, for multiple reasons: (1) she arrived stumbling from an after party down the street, and her awful husband had allowed her to stumble alone when CLEARLY blacked out..she fell down the stairs as I was putting her to bed and there but for the grace of god could have been a tragedy (2) I've sincerely never been around a drunk person without being drunk myself. NEVER. It was shocking to see how destructive and poisonous being drunk is. It's not living. My sister definitely has a drinking "issue", but she is nowhere near as bad as I was. But it was so disturbing to see what I have surely looked like millions of times. It's sad, actually, how much time I've wasted in that state. Shocking.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Oh gosh, I bought my niece Anne of Green Gables for x-mas! It's interesting, bc the alcoholic side of me does not mesh at all with the corny, sappy and wholesome side of me who can recite every little house episode and all of sound of music by heart.

My sister came home WASTED from the hunt, definitely more drunk by FAR than I have ever seen her. I'm horrified, for multiple reasons: (1) she arrived stumbling from an after party down the street, and her awful husband had allowed her to stumble alone when CLEARLY blacked out..she fell down the stairs as I was putting her to bed and there but for the grace of god could have been a tragedy (2) I've sincerely never been around a drunk person without being drunk myself. NEVER. It was shocking to see how destructive and poisonous being drunk is. It's not living. My sister definitely has a drinking "issue", but she is nowhere near as bad as I was. But it was so disturbing to see what I have surely looked like millions of times. It's sad, actually, how much time I've wasted in that state. Shocking.
🙁

Yeah it’s very different to watch from a sober perspective. I was pregnant with my first child when I married my husband (21 years ago!) and I remember watching people get trashed at my reception. It was uncomfortable to watch and frankly pissed me off, as you can imagine.

It was probably reinforcing for your sobriety no matter how disturbing that was, it sounds like your sister might have a problem too.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're doing well! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

Hope you and your sister are ok.
Enjoy your sober real life