Notices

Going To Prison Due To Alcohol

Old 10-25-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Divijata View Post
Yeah it was probably a mistake letting him believe that you keep the "bad" men in prison. You felt proud so it was more an act of ego to not correct his belief.

Perhaps a better approach would have been to explain the concept of crime and punishment.

I suppose it's like when a person tells a child they are bad (when they have behaved badly) instead of telling the child that their behavior was bad (but they are still loved and accepted and valued). The child never learns to separate their own bad behavior from their sense of self worth...

The interpretation becomes.....I AM BAD

I think you'll find this also becomes a common theme in addiction.

Unfortunately, a person who feels that they are intrinsically bad will struggle to make positive changes to their lives as they are not according to their inner believe and lack of self esteem.....worth it.

Prisons are full of people with low self esteem. You may find some highly confident criminals and people who are highly skilled manipulators who give the impression that they are kings of their world, but they are riddled with low self esteem......

You are correct as a former screw you'll probably be placed in protection with the nonces and informants.

You could stay sober while there, stay super fit, read extensively, reflect and write and use it as a reflective period....work on the anger issues..

...but then when you get it. Will you feel like drinking?

...if you drink again are the same behaviors likely to repeat themselves? The same experiences? The same anger and fighting?

....is the "benefit" from drinking worth the consequences...
Makes sense what you say about being bad/doing a bad thing. Never thought of it like that before. I'm no expert on those things.

Going to prison is bad enough but thinking about being on protection makes it worse and who I'll be mixing with. When I was a screw I got on well enough with the prisoners (looking back I realise that there was no real difference between me and them) and will be going to a different prison than where I worked a few years back but I will probably still go on protection. There was an ex police officer in the prison where I worked and he was on protection and I now he had a tough time.

I'm trying to be as positive as I can be and look at this as a chance to change things and make a better life for when I get out. I will be off the drink, try and get fitter and maybe get a few course that will help with getting a job after getting out. I have no idea will I be tempted to drink again after prison - I probably will be but hope I'll get help with dealing with that too. That seems like a long time away for now.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
So sorry for what you're going through right now.

You know, here in my area of the UK members of the AA go in and run meetings inside prisons for inmates so that the inmates can work on their recovery while serving their sentences. Is there a possibility that this could be the same situation for you?
BB
Yeah that happens here too, It will be a good use of time inside to deal with it and I think it will help me. I don't want to waste the next few weeks that I have starting it again but wont have much else to do in a few weeks,Only worry I have is that if I am on protection will I have the same access to courses and all that. I know and I've seen people who it has worked for while locked up
Old 10-25-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
This could be the beginning of a new bright sober life for you. I do understand the fear for I did time a couple of times due to my drinking and other sins. Yes, there was plenty of sinning when I was drinking.

The good news -- do this thing sober and stay that way.
Best for drunks not to drink -- that's me.

Good luck,
M-Bob
Thanks. Good to hear from someone who has been through this. I am only 29 so hopefully am young enough to get through this and hopefully come out a better person and still have a good life.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
I'm so sorry this is so horrible. My sister has six months left of a two-year sentence for assault on an officer while intoxicated as well. I go to see her when I can and it's just awful. You're not a bad person I hope that you will keep your head held high and I wish that you could write us here from prison. If you need a PIN pal go ahead and PM me your address and I'll keep in touch with you because I know how lonely it can be when you are incarcerated. My heart goes out to you and especially your child. You can get through this don't give up keep your head held high and make the most out of the time that you will be on the inside.
Thanks for the offer. Don't know what prison I'll end up in so can't give you an address or anything. I know how important it is when you are in prison and you aren't allowed internet. I wrote and got some letters when I was in the Army in Afghanistan but we had some internet time too. I'm ashamed especially with being ex military that I assaulted an officer who I know was only doing his job.

Dorry to hear that your sister is going through the same thing. Does she have kids and if she does do they visit her? Still not sure how I will deal with that.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've been 10 days now without a drink but am struggling tonight. I'm writing this almost as therapy at this stage.

I saw my son today and got to explain to him what is happening. It was probably the hardest and worse conversation I ever had. he was crying and I wasn't much better. It was harder than my police interviews and being in court. It made me feel so bad for him. I gave him the biggest hug before I left and told him how much i loved him and how sorry I was for making him sad.

He asked about visiting and I said I didn't know. Where this happened was away from home, so I will not be in a prison close to where he is at first. His birthday is just before Christmas and he asked me if I would still be around for them and had to say No. I don't even know if I get closer to home whether my ex will allow him visit with my Mum. He said he would like to visit so that's something but it will be hard to arrange.

Anyway it's done now. I have 2 weeks before I am back in court but will probably have another few weeks after that before sentencing. Anyway thanks for reading.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry David - but I thank you for sharing every painful moment - I really it just might help someone else to make a good decision.

D
Old 10-29-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I too have served time due to substance abuse - it's good that you are preparing for the worst, but like others have said, maybe this incident was meant more as a wake up call for you. I'm not familiar with British laws, but I know in the USA, simple assault, even on a police officer, is usually not call for a jail sentence of any length.

I encourage you to stick to sobriety, and even see a counselor that can provide you with documentation of your efforts that you can take to court with you. US judges anymore are trending towards leniency for addicts/alcoholics if they are making a genuine effort at recovery.

Have you been treated for or diagnosed with PTSD from your service time ? That would certainly be a factor as well. I wish you well however this turns out.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you got to have that talk with him. You two will have many years to make up for your absence, if you do have to go away for a while. Nothing will change the love you have for each other. I'm sorry for the painful time you're going through, David. Congrats on 10 days sober.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi David. very sorry to hear about your situation.

Like you alcohol would often release an inner rage within me whilst in blackout, and I acted very violently whilst under the effects many times. About 4 years ago I committed a crime and was give a 2 year suspended sentence. 4 months later I did something even worse and was looking at 3 1/2 years. My solicitor asked for the sentence to be converted into a fine, and the judge went for that. It was huge and I am still not financially recovered from it. Do you think the same might apply to you? I am in Spain so the judicial system may be different, but you never know, you might get lucky. Also, when I was in rehab (in the UK) there were many people there who had been given the option of rehab or prison, naturally they choose rehab. Might that be a solution that your solicitor could push for? I would defo talk to him/her about it.

Just try and stay sober and do all that you can to show the judge that you accept that you have a problem with alcohol, and that you are 100% determined to change. Keep a diary of what you are doing and give it to your solicitor. Get professionals to write/sign letters stating that you are taking the bull by the horns and trying to get sober. Every scrap of evidence that you can provide will help your case.

Best of luck mate and stay super strong right now.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I'm glad you got to have that talk with him. You two will have many years to make up for your absence, if you do have to go away for a while. Nothing will change the love you have for each other. I'm sorry for the painful time you're going through, David. Congrats on 10 days sober.
11 days now. Thanks. It was tough but I'm glad it's over. I spoke to him on the phone a while ago and we had a good talk and he said he still loved me which was good to hear. It put a smile on my face.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shauninspain View Post
Hi David. very sorry to hear about your situation.

Like you alcohol would often release an inner rage within me whilst in blackout, and I acted very violently whilst under the effects many times. About 4 years ago I committed a crime and was give a 2 year suspended sentence. 4 months later I did something even worse and was looking at 3 1/2 years. My solicitor asked for the sentence to be converted into a fine, and the judge went for that. It was huge and I am still not financially recovered from it. Do you think the same might apply to you? I am in Spain so the judicial system may be different, but you never know, you might get lucky. Also, when I was in rehab (in the UK) there were many people there who had been given the option of rehab or prison, naturally they choose rehab. Might that be a solution that your solicitor could push for? I would defo talk to him/her about it.

Just try and stay sober and do all that you can to show the judge that you accept that you have a problem with alcohol, and that you are 100% determined to change. Keep a diary of what you are doing and give it to your solicitor. Get professionals to write/sign letters stating that you are taking the bull by the horns and trying to get sober. Every scrap of evidence that you can provide will help your case.

Best of luck mate and stay super strong right now.
Thanks. I've never heard of that before - converting a prison sentence into a fine, Don't really have cash but would do anything to stay out of prison especially with my former job but solicitor has been honest with me But like I said before I went through all that the last time I was in court for assault and was given a chance and got a 2 year suspended sentence. So I won't get another chance especially as this assault was on a police officer who was trying to arrest me and I wouldn't let him handcuff me and I used racist language too. I'm still doing all you say but in the hope of a shorter sentence instead of avoiding it. I know I will have to the 2 years suspended sentence just hoping for not much more than that.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have my court case on Monday and am pleading guilty so unless something crazy happens will be going into custody then. I'm as ready as I can be for it so I am just hoping things go OK for me. I am spending this weekend with my son - we are having an early Christmas and will do my best to make it special for him. Thanks for all the advise and support over the past few weeks. Hopefully i will get my life sorted out and start thinking about the future after prison
Old 11-16-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

David, We'll be thinking of you. If at all possible please let us know how it goes.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Stay strong David. I believe that you are doing a good thing by owning up and being responsibe for your actions, and I sincerely hope the judge feels that way when any action is taken on Monday. Enjoy the weekend and know that you will be able to do it again, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry David. I hope you have a great weekend with your son and Merry Christmas. I admire your strength.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Praying for you.
Main thing is that we learn from our mistakes.
Sure took me a while.
Bob
Old 08-21-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
David, We'll be thinking of you. If at all possible please let us know how it goes.
I ended up getting a 2 year sentence so over here that means 1 year in prison and 1 year on license, But I got out yesterday after doing 9 months due to good behaviour and am tagged and on curfew for the next 3 months.

Was probably the toughest time of my life in there especially with being an ex prison officer and being on protection inside but I got through it. Felt strange waking up this morning in a normal bed, getting my own breakfast and being able to put on my own clothes after having a long and private shower. Luxuries!!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David29 View Post
I ended up getting a 2 year sentence so over here that means 1 year in prison and 1 year on license, But I got out yesterday after doing 9 months due to good behaviour and am tagged and on curfew for the next 3 months.

Was probably the toughest time of my life in there especially with being an ex prison officer and being on protection inside but I got through it. Felt strange waking up this morning in a normal bed, getting my own breakfast and being able to put on my own clothes after having a long and private shower. Luxuries!!
Congrats, David! How do you feel after 9 months of sobriety? Any temptation to drink? Did you have a recovery programme while inside?
Old 08-21-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by David29 View Post

Ah, the simple pleasures in life when you are free.

You were literally locked up, but we are also locked up in a chemical prison when we drink.

Thanks for the reminder to enjoy life luxuries, they are hard to enjoy under the obsession of alcohol.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're out! Have you got any kind of ongoing support as it must be a big change after nine months!