Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Hi allow me to introduce myself I am an alcoholic

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today I went t8 a meeting the. Drank anyone have this experience

I had five uesrs then drank. And I went to a newcomer meeting with people with ten days and it was a humbling experience I just don’t like this whole time taking thing I understand it’s a point to make newcomers feel better l I love my ho egroup buti felt insecure telling them my day count I guess it was pride doe anyone have any advice
Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

I think the best thing is to be honest. Put your pride aside and get some help

D
Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went through the same process by myself without help and I'm now 62 days sober. I know some of the things that caused me to drink (anxiety, depression and bewilderment). These 3 emotions are what made me feel without a foundation. I'm still figuring out what is causing me to want to pickup the bottle so I can fix it myself or ultimately seek help for the right reason. I've been to therapists in the past for help and they only made things worse for me. Telling a stranger very personal things that are bothering me or things that could land me in jail doesn't sit well with me. This is why I've avoided AA and any programs thus far. I KNOW the programs help lots of people but I'm not everyone and frankly I'm told quite often I'm unusual or out of the ordinary sometimes in a good way or bad.

You need to be honest with yourself and others to get help being sober and getting out of being a drunk if that's your plan. Meetings aren't going to work probably if you just sit and listen to everyone else talk. You gotta spill the beans and throw out that number so you have some form of obligation. You are likely not wanting to tell a number because you aren't willing to accept you need to start counting days.. I was in denial and not wanting to count days either in my back to back relapses over the last few years (Never made it more than 5 days). Figure out what is making you drink and either come to acceptance with it or figure out a way to solve it other than drinking alcohol and just hiding it away temporarily.

We believe in you!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I don't know...
I needed to stop drinking before I could identify what was really bugging me.

Camronjim9,
I'm glad you posted. Yes, I've been to a meeting and then went home and got plastered. Done the same immediately after attending my outpatient treatment.

And I identify with the shame of reporting days or hours. You don't have to do that if you don't want to. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking (using)." And with the chip thing, you know the deal, "We do this not to pat ourselves on the back but to show that it works." So the days thing is a way to encourage the newcomer - you, the most important person in the room.

I agree heartily with Dee and Calvin that honesty is the best way to go. Even if, especially if, you are not 100% ready to stop (just like thousands of other struggling addicts), bringing that crap out of your dark closet can be enormously helpful.

O
Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ive been to meetings that have the protocol of everyone that shares tells their sober date.
even though ive been sober a while, i still say,"been sober since i woke up today."
saying how long a person has been sober is not a requirement.

i still remeber the day i was at a meeting early on and said,
'ive read the big book quite a bit and like what the program has to offer. im not a very smart man and dont know crap about living life on lifes terms nor how to work the program. but i want what it has to offer and am willing to put in the footwork."
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you!