Notices

58 Hours Since Last Drink

Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

58 Hours Since Last Drink

I’ve been considering stoping drinking for a while now. I’m 26 and since getting out of college I’ve been steadily increasing the amount that I drink. I’ve never been a wake up and drink person but usually wait until I get home from work to start drinking. I don’t drink every day but maybe 4 nights of the week I have more then 6. If I haven’t had any symptoms by now is it likely that I will have any?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Joebags, and congratulations on your decision to quit drinking.

Withdrawal symptoms can come on several days into things, so it's really impossible for us to predict whether or not you might still have them. If you've never had them before and feel fine now that's a great start. If you have concerns about your health for some reason it wouldn't be a bad idea to speak with your doctor just to make sure.

You'll find a lot of support and understanding here on SR, I hope you can stick around and join in on some conversations.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you're way too young to have problems/symptoms, Joe, especially not with the amount you have been drinking. And here is a thing to keep in mind: in thirty years from now, you'll be able to sit down and do some calculations, and be amazed at the huge amount of money you've saved over the years, simply from not drinking...
Old 10-17-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October 24, 1997

Originally Posted by Joebags View Post
I’ve been considering stoping drinking for a while now. I’m 26 and since getting out of college I’ve been steadily increasing the amount that I drink. I’ve never been a wake up and drink person but usually wait until I get home from work to start drinking. I don’t drink every day but maybe 4 nights of the week I have more then 6. If I haven’t had any symptoms by now is it likely that I will have any?
Wow! Sounds EXACTLY like me! When I finally quit I didn't have the "DTs" or any other exceptionally nasty symptoms. If I had trouble sleeping I used Benedryl at 1/4 dose - 12.5 milligrams - at first because 50 milligrams made me sleep too long. The way I got sober was one hour at a time, sometimes one second at a time. Just keep going. As time goes by it gets easier. That is all I can tell you, it will get easier. You just have to stick to it, and that is where support like us, AA, and all the other legitimate help groups come in. Support is there for YOU, SO USE IT!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Joe

Like Scott says withdrawals differ for everyone - I hope you'll be ok from here on in tho.

I'm glad you're making the decision to stop drinking.

D
Old 10-17-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joebags View Post
You are having symptoms already. They are thought symptoms since you know 4 nights you are coming home to that drink and your mind is getting used to that, then your body gets used to that, then you see the other physical symptoms later. You might be in a great spot to make a different choice 4 nights a week. What do you think?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

good job on 58 hours, joebags. This is very doable, this sobriety thing. No reason at all to let alcohol drag you down.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How's it going joebags?