Notices

I've been so careful with my diet, yet

Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

That sounds like a sugar addiction mountainbob, it takes one to know one! I have plans to moderate sugar myself: using fasting, low sugar weeks, specific hours for it, etc. at the moment I don't have evidence that it's a destroyer like alcohol in my case, especially since I am fit. But again, the word "careful" is important, I know I am not immune to an obese, sedentary diabetic state. That can happen to me.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The struggle is real. I NEVER would have thought my weight would become an issue with sobriety. I'll be sober for a year in Feb 2018. That is when I'm planning on whole heartedly jumping into this strange world called "dieting". Let us know what ends up working for you. I bought the Atkins diet book, as I was told this was probably the best way to take off weight. Once I get rid of the sugar/ice cream etc that is currently in my freezer, though, I'm going to probably experiment with cutting out sweets, first, and see where that gets me. I haven't even gotten on the scale in a few weeks. Ugh. I'm so proud of myself for staying sober, but my self esteem has taken a dive.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

For me (57 YO M) the weight dropped off when I stopped drinking almost two years ago. I was already avoiding sweets and simple carbs so when I finally stopped polluting my diet with beer and other alcoholic beverages the diet kicked in and actually worked. I used the word "diet" but it's really a permanent lifestyle change.

For me, going on a "diet" is a plan for failure. I can't quit drinking for six months and go back to drinking again right? Same with cake and other sweets.

Doesn't matter if it's food or alcohol. Old behaviors = old results. Permanent change is my only path to success.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Thank you Bimini. It helps to hear from someone who has that same issue with certain foods...right now experimenting with eating eggs in the morning or fasting through the morning and what that means for appetite the rest of the day. I normally do a heavy workout around 5pm too so trying to figure out what that means eating around that. You're right. It's figuring it out. Which is impossible as a binge drinker: not only are alcohol binge days a wash nutritionally but there's no way to track that and the recovery period after drinking means low blood sugar, attempts to rehydrate....I should look at this as a project, as a positive thing instead of another demon to conquer.
I've been an intermittent faster for most of my life. They finally named it. 16:8 is my gig.

I really think alcoholics have some food processing issues in addition to a likely compulsive nature. Alcohol just quadrupled my inability to engage the executive function in my brain. At least that's what it felt like to me. With sober time I am far more controlled and non-compulsive. It takes Time, though. Really truly it does.

I hope you will give yourself a huge pat on the back. Many people never tackle their alcohol issue, let alone their food problems. Women in particular seem to have problems with sweets. (Just anecdotally, from my years on the fitness forums.) Biology, and then the added dysfunction we add with alcohol.

Finding my daily calorie requirement -TDEE- was the piece in the puzzle that made everything click into place. I would say work at figuring that out like it's your job. I keep good records and adjust with results. It's a 500 calorie range for me, BUT results aren't overnight and even adjustments take weeks before I see changes.

You're going to get it! I know I've said that twenty times, but yeah. Let go and let God. Protein, protein, protein, fats and fiber.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For years, maybe decades, I tried to control my eating and my weight. Food, my weight and my stomach ruled my life. It made decisions for me that alcohol once did.

Perhaps starting two programs (AA/OA) at the same time is a recipe for failure; perhaps not. All I know is that when I tried one more time, asked Higher Power for help one more time not knowing if it would do any good, something happened. That was Nov 28, 2005. I haven't had sweets since.

I followed up that prayer to God with going back to OA and getting a sponsor. Sugar is like alcohol for me. Maybe not for you and anyone else--that is none of my business.

I wish you peace and health in your journey to wholeness.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think OA might be a last resort. I'm figuring out right now what I can get away with in my eating window, especially since I'm so newly sober. My weight gain has slowed this week and I am now maintaining, this is good news. It's a higher weight but only 10 pounds above my normal. It seems using some caution and not eating whatever I feel like whenever I feel like, is putting some brakes on my weight.

I have started a new "gymhopping" adventure and I can tell it's going to be fun, there are all kinds of apps out there for drop in gym classes on the cheap. Last night was a fast moving barre class! New to me but fun and challenging.

I'm having some issues finding a sponsor and now I'm going to be totally honest: in the two weeks of AA classes I have attended, I can literally count on one hand the number of women who are close to, or at normal weight. Not only that, but they repeatedly talk in the rooms of their food addictions. They may have 20 years of sobriety, but it is not the sobriety I am working toward. They are still struggling with addiction, maybe not alcohol but it's clear most of them have cross addicted to food early on and never got a handle on it. Most of the weight problems are actually quite serious, especially the ones in my age group. They come to me and give me numbers, but when their shares are filled with food struggle and their inability to deal with it, I'm really just not inspired by that. My sobriety journey does not mirror theirs.

Still keep on keeping on here, with no booze, regular workouts, and figuring out my eating. One day at a time!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Stayingsassy, You are wise to look for someone to has what you want. But please don't be so picky that you go without a sponsor for an indefinite amount of time. Maybe get a temporary sponsor just to have contact with a sober woman. In the meantime, be on the look out for a sober woman who doesn't seem to have picked up another addiction or if she has, she's working on it.

To be honest, I don't have an AA sponsor now. I use my OA sponsor for everything but I've let the universe know that I'm open to meeting an AA woman to work with. I'm 31 years sober and there aren't many gals around with more time than me so I have had sponsors with less time. That works for long timers but not so well with new folks.

I didn't find lasting food recovery until I had 19 yrs of sobriety. I don't like admitting this but it's my truth.

I used "gym hopping" to replace bar hopping and it was so much fun.

Take care.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Bimini, thanks for your input. We are a similar path, I think. My food is mostly protein, fats and fiber. I did IF, also 16:8, for awhile but some boring health issue resulted in me returning to "Three-Oh-One". Except for Mondays, I fast upon awakening until dinner on Mondays or whatever is the first work day of the week. It feels great!

Sassy, one day at a time is where it's at!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I've been an intermittent faster for most of my life. They finally named it. 16:8 is my gig.

I really think alcoholics have some food processing issues in addition to a likely compulsive nature. Alcohol just quadrupled my inability to engage the executive function in my brain. At least that's what it felt like to me. With sober time I am far more controlled and non-compulsive. It takes Time, though. Really truly it does.

I hope you will give yourself a huge pat on the back. Many people never tackle their alcohol issue, let alone their food problems. Women in particular seem to have problems with sweets. (Just anecdotally, from my years on the fitness forums.) Biology, and then the added dysfunction we add with alcohol.

Finding my daily calorie requirement -TDEE- was the piece in the puzzle that made everything click into place. I would say work at figuring that out like it's your job. I keep good records and adjust with results. It's a 500 calorie range for me, BUT results aren't overnight and even adjustments take weeks before I see changes.

You're going to get it! I know I've said that twenty times, but yeah. Let go and let God. Protein, protein, protein, fats and fiber.
Bimini,
I’m curious, how has 16:8 worked out for you so far?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

80/20 rule
Diet/Exerise
Eat Clean/Workout (believe it our not ,weightlifting will cut weight fastest)
Drink 100 ounces of water a day and keep to 6 small meals to help burn and keep your metabolism going.
Its all hard work , but you can do it, everyone is different .
Just remember anything you put in has to go someplace , might as well be healthier stuff than junk!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NulaMeansZero View Post
80/20 rule
Diet/Exerise
Eat Clean/Workout (believe it our not ,weightlifting will cut weight fastest)
Drink 100 ounces of water a day and keep to 6 small meals to help burn and keep your metabolism going.
Its all hard work , but you can do it, everyone is different .
Just remember anything you put in has to go someplace , might as well be healthier stuff than junk!
So I guess the first thing that needs to go is my nightly freezer raid, which is 500+ calories worth of ice cream? Oh no!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've done 19:5 for a week and a half. All it's done is halted my weight at the higher point. I'm going to need to go keto to lose.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Keto and lots of gym time is really working for me. I’ve dropped 3” in my waist since July and my BF% has dropped 2% in the past five weeks, with muscle mass gains. After the first week of “keto flu,” I’ve felt great. 25 pounds less than when I was drinking.

I’m also a lifelong faster, never eat breakfast. I’m now doing a 100 cal or so smoothie in the morning. 1 cup Unsweetened coconut beverage, 1/4 cup whole milk plain Greek yoghurt, 2 tbs coconut oil, and about 1/4 cup whole berries. It’s about 5g carbs, which helps in the gym. Other than that I’m eating two actual meals, high fat, moderate protein, extremely low carb. I’m not even all that hungry.

Give keto a try. It’s not a lifestyle diet, but it’s a really good kick start.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Is soda an issue ? I quit drinking it due to blood pressure issues (along with cig smoking - 2.5 yrs now) and that was instant weight loss. Mind you I hadn't quit drinking then, but after I did, I got the monster sugar cravings - your body is saying "WTH - what happened to all that wonderful sugar I was used to ?" One doctor I work with has a theory that the sugar withdrawal is a big part of the intensity of alcohol withdrawal.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I’m a diet soda addict...don’t think I can give it up. I dont like regular soda.

Yes mindful, I actually lost 50 on low carb: starting in 2015, I’m back up ten since getting sober. This week I stuck to 19:5 eating whatever I want in the window, heavy weightlifting sessions at gym and my weight has maintained this week, but today my plan is to do keto with a Halloween cheat day, up until my Sprint on 11/18so I can cut fat for my rope climbs and endless burpees! I have quite a bit of body strength right now but hoping sobriety helps give me that edge with fat loss and fitness over the next month.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

In for Halloween cheat day!

Only I don't call it "cheat" - it will be a carb refeed.

Have you seen the Lyle McDonald refeed video? It's an hour long, but a good thread about it here:

Of Refeeds and Diet Breaks
Old 10-20-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes, carb refeed! Something to look forward to.

I was thinking carb cycling would be a good way to go when I get to my goal weight. I don’t know what that weight that is, I’ll know when I get to it, I’m not interested in losing too much fat that I’ve got in the right places at the moment, especially at my age, so I’ll know where the sweet spot is at that time. I’ve got a good shape right now, I just want physics in my favor for my fitness pursuits!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Do some research on diet soda, yes? I know for me nothing messes with my blood sugar more, especially diet soda with caffeine. For some of us it might as well be the sugared variety in terms of how we process it.

Here’s one link...

Why You Should Stop Drinking Diet Soda - Health
Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Do some research on diet soda, yes? I know for me nothing messes with my blood sugar more, especially diet soda with caffeine. For some of us it might as well be the sugared variety in terms of how we process it.

Here’s one link...

Aries,
Thanks for that link, it’s an eye opener! I used to be a diet Coke afficionado, gave it up 6 months ago, but now it has slowly started to creep back in. I’m going to kick it to the curb once and for all after reading this article!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post

Here’s one link...

I’ve often wondered if diet soda is an issue, but since I’ve been drinking it since about age 13, I’ve noticed no difference when I drink it or switch it out for tea.

I’ve been on diets since my mom put me on weight watchers at age 9, it’s been a long road of testing what works and what doesn’t, ah the energy and time this has taken up in my brain, alcohol was initially a diet crutch. That said I am a normal weight person in a genetically obese body, so controls have been necessary considering my preferences. Everyone has the choice to make, I could easily be 350pounds and I don’t begrudge anyone for just being their normal body weight which I believe in some folks is just a high weight. I just choose not to have that.

Diet soda is an important sobriety tool for me also...it helps