Notices

One year sober Today!

Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One year sober Today!

Well its been one year since I had a drink. It's hard to believe to be honest. I was thinking about when the last time I went a year without a drink, and I'm pretty sure I was 13. That's 33 years ago.

I pretty much drank my entire adult life. It never caused me any real problems in my 20's and 30's, but looking back on it now it did. I just overlooked it. The hard drinking started when I started a new career about 11 years ago. Prior to that I drank a couple of drinks a day during the week and hard on the weekends. The new job was a lot of pressure (100% commission based) and I used alcohol to easy the stress. Started off drinking a few drinks after work (as usual) but that gradually escalated to a 12 pack a day at minimum. Then something changed. Not sure why but I started to center my life around it. It didn't happen all at once but slowly I needed it more and more. The real issues started about 4/5 years ago. I started to have anxieties that I never had before. Going certain places without alcohol became difficult. The beer stopped easing my nerves and started making things harder and harder. The only time I felt any relief was when I was drinking. My physical and mental health began to go down hill. I really began to hate who I was and what I had become. When I was young I despised drunks ( In my mind they were weak) and now that's who I was.

Then one year ago today I was laying in bed with a hangover, of course, and I said to myself I can't go on like this anymore. I'd said this before and by the time I got out of bed I would come up with a reason to drink that day, but for some reason that day was different. I said if not today then when? I couldn't think of an answer. I got up but I didn't make an excuse to drink. I struggled a lot in the beginning because I originally thought that if I quit drinking everything would get better. Well it didn't. I mean it did but it didn't. Not sure if that makes sense.

Well I searched on the net for answers when I found this place. When I came here I had been sober a few months and I was not getting much better. I was sober but that is about it. This place made me realize that I was not the only one that felt the way I felt or was struggling so bad to figure out who I was. I had drank my entire life and that was my identity. As sad as that is it was true. I learned that I had to establish a new me. I had to forgive myself.

Well I can't tell any of you that it was easy cause it wasn't. It took a lot of work and I struggled a lot. Not so much to not drink (that was hard too) but to establish a new me. Believe me I still haven't fully figured it out yet but I'm getting there.

I want to say thank you to all of those here that helped me early on, whether you know it or not you are a big reason why I am sober today.

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congratulations, ljc!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats beautiful stuff. And yes it makes perfect sense. I cant wait to get there.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great. my story kind of mirrors yours, so I can relate. Congratulations, one year is a big accomplishment.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober years!
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your post. I feel I am struggling with the same issues.....who am I now, without alcohol. Life is so much better without alcohol but this sober journey is much more complicated than I thought.

Congratulations on one year. A wonderful achievement.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats! One year is HUGE
Old 10-12-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. You have truly have helped me more then you know!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What an amazing accomplishment!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Brilliant. This post helps me a lot. Congratulations!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats ljc

D
Old 10-13-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats ljk. Your post speaks to me... this has been word for word my experience too. Everything was great, until it wasn't!
I'm so happy to be able to congratulate on one year! Well done!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
Well its been one year since I had a drink. It's hard to believe to be honest. I was thinking about when the last time I went a year without a drink, and I'm pretty sure I was 13. That's 33 years ago.

I pretty much drank my entire adult life. It never caused me any real problems in my 20's and 30's, but looking back on it now it did. I just overlooked it. The hard drinking started when I started a new career about 11 years ago. Prior to that I drank a couple of drinks a day during the week and hard on the weekends. The new job was a lot of pressure (100% commission based) and I used alcohol to easy the stress. Started off drinking a few drinks after work (as usual) but that gradually escalated to a 12 pack a day at minimum. Then something changed. Not sure why but I started to center my life around it. It didn't happen all at once but slowly I needed it more and more. The real issues started about 4/5 years ago. I started to have anxieties that I never had before. Going certain places without alcohol became difficult. The beer stopped easing my nerves and started making things harder and harder. The only time I felt any relief was when I was drinking. My physical and mental health began to go down hill. I really began to hate who I was and what I had become. When I was young I despised drunks ( In my mind they were weak) and now that's who I was.

Then one year ago today I was laying in bed with a hangover, of course, and I said to myself I can't go on like this anymore. I'd said this before and by the time I got out of bed I would come up with a reason to drink that day, but for some reason that day was different. I said if not today then when? I couldn't think of an answer. I got up but I didn't make an excuse to drink. I struggled a lot in the beginning because I originally thought that if I quit drinking everything would get better. Well it didn't. I mean it did but it didn't. Not sure if that makes sense.

Well I searched on the net for answers when I found this place. When I came here I had been sober a few months and I was not getting much better. I was sober but that is about it. This place made me realize that I was not the only one that felt the way I felt or was struggling so bad to figure out who I was. I had drank my entire life and that was my identity. As sad as that is it was true. I learned that I had to establish a new me. I had to forgive myself.

Well I can't tell any of you that it was easy cause it wasn't. It took a lot of work and I struggled a lot. Not so much to not drink (that was hard too) but to establish a new me. Believe me I still haven't fully figured it out yet but I'm getting there.

I want to say thank you to all of those here that helped me early on, whether you know it or not you are a big reason why I am sober today.

Thank you!
Your story gives me much needed hope.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

1 year. A gift. Congrats.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

HAPPY SOBER-VERSARY!!!!!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

Congrats on 1 year. My healing really began to accelerate at that point, with the benefits of recovery being so much more tangible than during year 1. I wish you continued success and happiness!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! It makes me fell good that others can relate to what I went through. I hope that my experience will help someone the way your stories motivated me to stay sober.

I know one thing for certain. If I can do it you can.

One thing that really helped me this year and it seems like a no brainer but it is the one thing that always caused my to fail in the past.

I finally realized that I could never drink again. Not one weekend, not one day, not one drink. Ever. That used to scare the sh*t out of me, but once I was certain that I could never drink again, and took that option of the table I was able to move forward, and not stay in the past.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LJC - my husband works in sales and his situation sounds similar. How did you refrain from drinking or prepare yourself for work situations where everyone is drinking?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats!!! Great Job!!!