Notices

So easy to fall off that wagon...

Old 10-08-2017, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So easy to fall off that wagon...

It really is, isn't it? And then so hard to get up and get back on that addiction recovery wagon. I've had two binges in the last three weeks. First was after I came of the meds (antibiotics); when I stayed sober for 11 days. Then I hit it hard: a bottle of Scotch a day. Three days into the "Great Thirst", the old liver started aching and said, better stop now, Corrie. Four days later I started feeling human again, and then remembered the almost full bottle under the sink.
Back to a bottle a day, and four days later - yesterday - the liver started screaming at me. Also my spleen, I think, and probably the pancreas and kidneys and every other organ getting damaged by alcohol. Bad sweats during the night, and a nightmare that will make a good horror movie. Today I'm back on day 1. Liver aches, woozy feeling, nausea, you name it.
I can't help but wonder, though, if other people on this forum get the same physical aches and pains and cr.... feeling and symptoms. Is it normal or not?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on day 2, it's frightening how quick it spirals out of control when you pick up the first drink, good luck to you
Old 10-08-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah...it's normal to have those symptoms when you're poisoning your body. If you could see the insanity in your question you'd run to a rehab place or an ER and go get clean. this will not end well if you keep going on this path.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful

I took a hammer and smashed my thumb with it every day for 3 straight days. My thumb was aching something awful and said, please put the hammer away. I hid the hammer under the sink and several days later the swelling in the thumb had gone down and the aching had subsided. I remembered the hammer I had put under the sink. I pulled it back out and have been smashing my thumb with it for the past 4 days. It's really screaming at me now as it's very swollen, it's bent at a funny angle now and the thumbnail has turned black & blue. I think I might lose the nail. I'm just wondering if other people who smash their thumb with a hammer have the same symptoms I'm having.

My story is make believe of course to show how insane it would be to continue smashing my thumb despite the obvious consequences my body would be enduring. Kind of like how insane it is to continue drinking despite the obvious consequences your body is enduring.

It sounds to me like your body is letting you know that it can't take much more and will more than likely shut down if you continue. There is a phenomenon in late stage alcoholism where it causes multi organ dysfunction, usually triggered by the liver and then spreading to other organs.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My withdrawals got worse and worse the more years I drank.
By the end I was sure I had another bender in me.

You got another chance corriec - please us it - you can do this

D.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

We all went thru it, to some degree or another. The only sure-fire cure that I'm aware of is to stop for good!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Corr,

I was very physically addicted to booze, mentally I knew it was killing me.

I am positive there has been irreversible damage.

Now my doc is coffee. I need it everyday.

I nearly crashed my car dealing w low blood sugar and panic attacks.

That scared ms str8.

Hopefully something, not a too horrible, breaks your cycle before irreversible damage occurs w you.

Right now you are heavily physically addicted.

That 3 day relapse thing is not you feeling good, it is your brain running out of what it currently needs to feel normal.

Unfortunately, getting the brain used to not being bathed in booze takes months of clean time.

During those initial several months, we suffer w heavy anxiety etc. That is the brain damage booze causes.

It is a mean drug.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear what you are doing to yourself- I word it that way because we are the ones who choose/chose to drink so much that our bodies started failing us, we hurt badly, and suffered greatly. I had a very angry liver (and other things) by the time I finally quit my major vodka habit.

With time, my body healed- the serious PAWS and such that I went through was no picnic, but it was better than the pain of alcoholism and necessary for a life sober.

This can be your last suffering of these pains. I hope you make it that.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back corriec. I wouldn't say it's "normal" to feel what you are feeling as it's all self-inflicted, but we all know exactly how it feels - so I suppose it's commonplace if not normal.

It doesn't have to be that way though - have you ever considered making a concerted effort to quit for good? It's entirely possible and there are many here who can attest to that as well.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Corrie,

Drinking a fifth/day for days on end might kill a normal person. We're not normal. The body pains are a natural outcome of pouring a toxic substance into our systems. You know this.

I absolutely could not get and STAY sober on my own, though I tried mightily for years and years. Have you thought about your options for ongoing support?

I'm feeling for you. God knows I can relate.

O
Old 10-09-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corriec View Post
It really is, isn't it? And then so hard to get up and get back on that addiction recovery wagon. I've had two binges in the last three weeks. First was after I came of the meds (antibiotics); when I stayed sober for 11 days. Then I hit it hard: a bottle of Scotch a day. Three days into the "Great Thirst", the old liver started aching and said, better stop now, Corrie. Four days later I started feeling human again, and then remembered the almost full bottle under the sink.
Back to a bottle a day, and four days later - yesterday - the liver started screaming at me. Also my spleen, I think, and probably the pancreas and kidneys and every other organ getting damaged by alcohol. Bad sweats during the night, and a nightmare that will make a good horror movie. Today I'm back on day 1. Liver aches, woozy feeling, nausea, you name it.
I can't help but wonder, though, if other people on this forum get the same physical aches and pains and cr.... feeling and symptoms. Is it normal or not?
Is it normal, not for a healthy person. But it is normal for folks that drink like every day is the last day.

That was me, I had those liver aches but kept ignoring them for years until they got so bad it would wake me up at night.

I convinced myself it was health anxiety knowing full well it was my body being tortured.

I haven't had a drink in a little over a week now and the liver pains have almost gone away completely but I still have very bad concentration issues.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, day one is almost over with here in South Africa. And ahead of course, is another sleepless, sweaty, crazy dream night.
Thank you, everybody, for the sharing, support, and kind/wise words...
Old 10-09-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great on day 1 down!

And am100 - 1 week!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

The sleep thing gets better every day. Keep with it, Corrie - you're worth it.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All totally familiar. A living hell. Hope you're ready to be done with it!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

corr,

Hang in there. I didn't even find SR until i was 80 days clean.

I was freaking out and asked google how long does it take to recover from drinking.

I found SR and it said that it can take 2 years or more. Minus my little slips I am well over 2 years sober. Obviously, my slips didn't really impact my brain and body, just my clean time.

My dreams these days are very cool. Sometimes they are bad. I typically sleep between 6 to 8 hours out of 8 to 10 in bed.

Sleep is probably the best thing about recovery for me. The real rest is so deep. The natural melatonin is so intense. It is almost like coming out of hyper sleep sometimes. I feel almost hung over, but it goes away in minutes.

Hang in there. Embrace sobriety. Fight your addiction like your life depends on it...when you have to.

Thanks.