Notices

Just checking in

Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just checking in

Hello again everyone.
I'm just checking in to let folks know what's happening with me.
Nothing major to report, now have 5 months sober time - no relapses.

Life is still throwing stuff at me, the same as it throws at everyone, but I'm throwing it back as best I can.

My health is better than it has been for years, not just better than when I was boozing - I'm in pretty good shape really. Got to the point where I am exercising a lot and I reached a personal goal of 25 pullups a few days ago. I don't think I'm going to be an Instagram model any time soon but I can't complain, especially as I'm just the wrong side of 50.

I'm giving up smoking at the moment. I was smoking heavily while in the early stages of recovery and I just accepted that was a crutch I needed in order to beat the drink. The time is right to stop now, I have enough of my ducks in a row to be able to do it ( I hope )
The side effects are wanting to tear peoples throats out, but I'm told that passes

That's it really, just to let you all know I'm still alive and still on the wagon
Old 10-04-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five months sober! I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Keep going, it gets even better.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go machinist guy

D
Old 10-04-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations, MachinistGuy, and thanks for the update.
Glad things are going well, recoverywise.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for checking in MachinistGuy, glad to hear things are going well. Quitting smoking is a good thing too, kudos for making improvements in lots of areas of your life. Don't be a stranger if you need some support or just someone to talk to.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mr

It does good to read posts like that.
The more the merrier it is on the wagon
Old 10-05-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

5 months sounds like something major to report to me! Congratulations, that's brilliant. Good on you for the exercise too.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice job MachinistGuy! Great post too!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

25 pull-ups!! Can only do ten myself, jumping. Once I jump I can put my chin over the bar, hanging, not yet. I'm a woman and our lats just aren't as strong.... but that's an awesome achievement and I know how long it takes to get there, can't wait for that, it's one of my top 5 sobriety goals! That sounds weird I know but I want to be able to just jump up and pound them out. I've made progress this year in my gym but hangovers and drinking related weakness has really gotten in the way.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
25 pull-ups!! Can only do ten myself, jumping. Once I jump I can put my chin over the bar, hanging, not yet. I'm a woman and our lats just aren't as strong....
I have found that staying away from alcohol has had a major impact with regard to regaining and then increasing strength...I honestly can't believe the difference...I wonder if even 'social drinker' levels of alcohol consumption hinder fitness training a little in some way ?

What worked really well for me regarding pullups was to do six sessions of what I guess you might call 'let downs' spread over about two weeks. Instead of pulling your bodyweight up, you start by standing on an object with your chin just higher than the bar and then step off and lower yourself as slowly as you can.
Each session you increase the number of 'let downs' until you reach a goal set by your sex and beginning fitness level.
Only then do you try to do pullups again.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about pounding out pullups, I did give myself a little pat on the back when I hit 25
Actually I patted myself on the back a couple of days later when I could move properly again

Very best of luck to you Sassy

And thanks so much to everyone else, if it wasn't for you guys I wouldn't be where I am today
Old 10-05-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great tip, thank you! I have yet to install a pull-up bar in my home and I haven't yet tried out the playground down the street, haha. I do have a spartan sprint coming up though, so I need to put my nose to the grindstone! I'm inspired by you though especially since you mention sobriety has made such a difference.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

NIce work on 5 months! That's huge, kudos to you!! Keep it up!