Notices

New and Checking In

Old 10-02-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Checking In

So.. I've been a lurker here for a few years now. I usually only come here ( looking for inspiration I suppose ) when I'm on a non drinking kick. However I'd like to begin using this forum on a regular basis to help keep me on track.

Cliff notes to my story...

I'm 37 years old and have been a regular drinker since the age of 15. I've drank alcoholicly since my early 20s. My story is not much different than anyone else. However, the effects of my drinking have become more apparent in the past 18 months, from a physical, mental as well as social standpoint.

The hangovers are worsening, the inability to control the amount I drank, so on and so forth...

So, I'm trying to be serious about abstaining from alcohol going forward. I live in a small town and hold a job that I cannot be open in public about these issues, so for now group settings are out of the question. Therefore I'm trying this forum as an outlet, I hope I can stick around and perhaps co tribute to some degree.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome AM100. SR is a great place to get support and posting has made all the difference to me. My situation is similar - I cannot go to meetings for the same reason. I have used SR as my main support and so far that has been enough to keep me sober. That said, I would really benefit from meetings I think but I just cannot risk the fallout.
Beyond posting, the things that have helped me is trying to be aware of addictive patterns (the AV) and trying to manage my emotions rather than drowning them in alcohol.
Support to you, and keep posting!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I do intend to hang around. I believe coming here multiple times a day will help keep my mind where it needs to be.

I've got a long way to go. Last Tuesday was my first day totaly without alcohol in at least 10 years. I drank again on Friday night but have abstained since then, so I'm on day 3 now. It's ridiculous how 3 days without a substance can be of any importance but it seems like a long time every now and then
Old 10-02-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, AM100 - I'm so glad you joined us. We all understand how you're feeling.

I drank 30 yrs. When I was your age, I knew I didn't drink normally - or socially. I 'needed' it to have a good time & to relax. But I refused to stop all together - spent many years trying to control the amounts I drank. Very bad things happened. I'm glad you see what needs to be done - getting free of it will save you so much misery. 3 days is a very big deal - congratulations.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome (back) AM100

D
Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome AM100 - glad to see you here and I hope you can stick around. I was on SR seemingly 24/7 the first few weeks - so don't be afraid to ask for help whenever you need it!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,

I've been down this road a few times before but this time seems different. I haven't felt this good in a long time or as sure about doing this as I do now.

Thanks for the support.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard AM100!