Notices

Baclofen

Old 10-02-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baclofen

Has anyone used this to help their sobriety.
I've been sober for a few years but suffer from anxiety and it was getting worse. Done aa and try work the steps but the anxiety was still there. Just looking to find out if anyone has had success with baclofen ?
Thanks
Old 10-02-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share but good to hear from you Miko

D
Old 10-02-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks dee. Hope you are well
Old 10-02-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was offered it in rehab but unlike most others I read the side effects and didn't like what I read so rejected it. Maybe it's just me, idk.

I'm suffer anxiety too and for the first time am going to travel the path of good diet and exercise. Gotta build up to meditation and stuff.

I hope you find something that helps with your anxiety, it really can be awful, I know.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good thanks Miko

D
Old 10-02-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I've bn exercising slot , have a physical job. Meditate also once a day but life was getting harder for me and was having panic attacks in meetings also.
Thought it would get better after years of not drinking but, it was still as strong.
I'm now going to anxiety meeting and trying this baclofen as a when needed medication as the doc prescribed anti depressants but I don't like them as I've seen people change dramatically on them. Also not want to take medication every day. Just want to take something when in a difficult social situation that I've been avoiding. The doc also has me on propranolol which help with the intense sweats and that I was getting in public which are terrible man.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey Miko,

I'm on meds for anxiety and depression and they indeed have changed me - for the better. The trick is I have to take them. Yep, on a scheduled basis.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you see a psychiatrist who specializes in substance abuse, as I believe they understand the chemical imbalances we deal with. I went to my GP initially and knew immediately she didn't know how to prescribe for an addict because she suggested scheduled benzos.

Just an idea...
O
Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, you would think there would be improvement after years of not drinking and hey, think about it this way, how anxious would you be if drinking? . It must be very disappointing though. Sorry.

Some people get a lot of benefit from anti- depressants some don't. They didn't do much for me and it took me a long time to wean off, and it wasn't pleasant. Still, I know many people do benefit, and some people definitely do need them.

We've all got to make our own choices, as well as talk with skilled professionals and it sounds like you're doing that, and now you're deciding.

If you are having panic attacks in meeting your anxiety sounds pretty high and you talk about feeling anxious in other or new social situations, so going to the anxiety meetings sounds a good idea. Everyone is there for the same purpose, so that'd really help I reckon. Sometimes people in AA don't understand that level of anxiety/panic.

If you take the Baclofen under your doctor's supervision can't see the harm in trying as social anxiety can be very debilitating and life restricting.

I really hope the anxiety meetings do you well.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for replies