Notices

Unhappy Birthday

Old 09-28-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Birthday

Hey everyone, its been several years since I've posted and mostly its because I thought that anything I would have shared probably wouldn't help anyone else because I was still on the wagon. Ive continued to read these forums constantly over the years and I appreciate all of your love and support for one another. This forum is very much gold.

Yesterday was my birthday and I turned 35. That, to me at least, was a milestone year and of course I decided to drink and wallow in my pity because I was unhappy with my life at the time.

When I drink, I usually drink beer, because if I drink liquor then its good night Irene. 35 was a 'momentous occasion' and I decided to treat myself to some martinis, most specifically, ketel one martini up no vermouth with olives. Basically vodka in a glass with a little salty olives to make me consume more. I proceeded to go from bar to bar, and after the fourth one, complete blackout. Blackouts are terrifying. I think I was getting kicked out of a bar, I remember bits and pieces.

My body is bruised and banged up, sitting in a chair hurts. My knuckles are bruised, I have cuts that are unexplained. My parents bought me a $300 watch and I have absolutely no clue what happened to it. I can even use a herculean effort and try to figure out where it went, or why, and play detective but I have zero clue. No clue.

The hits just keep on coming because heres the grand finale, I remember coming to, to my dad waking me up and pulling me to my feet as I was OUTSIDE of an apartment building on the lawn, completely passed out. My pants wouldn't even stay on my body. I mean, that is so terrible. I could have been killed, I could have been robbed, I could have had a whole host of horrors happen to me.

You know.... My dad was very nice and thankfully I live close to them... how he knew to come to look for me is a mystery in itself. He said he heard me moaning and found me in the bushes half on the lawn half entangled in the shrubs. Thats shameful.

My dad said, the next morning that I reminded him of a storybook drunk from an olden time, he said I reminded him of a drunk of the likes of which you don't even see anymore. That was intense of what he said.

I have to ask myself, why am I posting this? Well it helps me to speak. Maybe on the off chance such a story can help someone else on to not have that happen to them. Maybe when someone else turns 35, or 40, or 45 or 50 etc they will listen to this and not decide its party time.

I think in general, I should just be more active on this forum. The more that an individual cloisters and is quiet, the more self damage that they do with booze, at least to me anyway.

Ive been 14 hours without a drink, and whether its one day, one hour, even one minute at a time, thats all I got. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Time for a change, W2782. Please try to stay sober. Drinks lots of water. It will help you feel better.
Get some fresh air, even if it's just standing on the balcony if you have one.
Eat when you are hungry, and expect to feel crummy for a while.
Keep checking in here, especially if you want to drink.
I remember that my 30th birthday, now way in the rear view mirror,, was a tough one for me.
There isn't anything that drinking can't make worse.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi W2782 and happy belated birthday!
Thanks for sharing your story, certain parts sound all too familiar.
When it comes to messed up birthdays, I once completely missed my entire birthday party because a friend and I started drinking champagne at lunch and just never stopped until I just fell into bed at like 5 pm.
So my friends, some of which had driven hours to celebrate with me, went out without me... *hangs head in shame*

Sounds like you have a great family to support you!
Old 09-28-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. Saturday was my birthday. I turned 48. I've done a lot with my life but getting sober was not one of them. What happened on my birthday will shame me for a lifetime and I hurt the people I loved too.

I came here Monday.

Welcome to SR.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think it's ever too late to turn things around W3782

It takes effort and commitment - but I'm pretty sure you don't want another day like that one, right?

D
Old 10-02-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by W2782 View Post
Hey everyone, its been several years since I've posted and mostly its because I thought that anything I would have shared probably wouldn't help anyone else because I was still on the wagon. Ive continued to read these forums constantly over the years and I appreciate all of your love and support for one another. This forum is very much gold.

Yesterday was my birthday and I turned 35. That, to me at least, was a milestone year and of course I decided to drink and wallow in my pity because I was unhappy with my life at the time.

When I drink, I usually drink beer, because if I drink liquor then its good night Irene. 35 was a 'momentous occasion' and I decided to treat myself to some martinis, most specifically, ketel one martini up no vermouth with olives. Basically vodka in a glass with a little salty olives to make me consume more. I proceeded to go from bar to bar, and after the fourth one, complete blackout. Blackouts are terrifying. I think I was getting kicked out of a bar, I remember bits and pieces.

My body is bruised and banged up, sitting in a chair hurts. My knuckles are bruised, I have cuts that are unexplained. My parents bought me a $300 watch and I have absolutely no clue what happened to it. I can even use a herculean effort and try to figure out where it went, or why, and play detective but I have zero clue. No clue.

The hits just keep on coming because heres the grand finale, I remember coming to, to my dad waking me up and pulling me to my feet as I was OUTSIDE of an apartment building on the lawn, completely passed out. My pants wouldn't even stay on my body. I mean, that is so terrible. I could have been killed, I could have been robbed, I could have had a whole host of horrors happen to me.

You know.... My dad was very nice and thankfully I live close to them... how he knew to come to look for me is a mystery in itself. He said he heard me moaning and found me in the bushes half on the lawn half entangled in the shrubs. Thats shameful.

My dad said, the next morning that I reminded him of a storybook drunk from an olden time, he said I reminded him of a drunk of the likes of which you don't even see anymore. That was intense of what he said.

I have to ask myself, why am I posting this? Well it helps me to speak. Maybe on the off chance such a story can help someone else on to not have that happen to them. Maybe when someone else turns 35, or 40, or 45 or 50 etc they will listen to this and not decide its party time.

I think in general, I should just be more active on this forum. The more that an individual cloisters and is quiet, the more self damage that they do with booze, at least to me anyway.

Ive been 14 hours without a drink, and whether its one day, one hour, even one minute at a time, thats all I got. Thanks for listening.
Sounds like we have a lot in common. Many a birthday I've "time traveled" and found myself in place that I had zero clue how I got there. At least you didnt also lose your pants. Ive been there... Stay on the sober bus my friend. Alcohol nearly cost me everything I had that was worth having anyway. It will get better if you stay committed. You got this! 😎
Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Stay with us. The next few days are going to be hell. Do you have anyone there with you? If you need medical treatment for your injuries why not get some help with withdrawls?
Old 10-02-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy birthday to all of you birthday folks.

We hope you stop drinking and stay with us.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going W2782?

D