Notices

Went to AA for the First Time!!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to AA for the First Time!!

I am 4 days completely sober. 2 days ago, I went to my very first AA meeting. WOW. If anyone reading this has any qualms about attending a meeting, then let me just say that I LOVED IT.

I have social anxiety and I am quite the introvert, so it was a little different to have everyone kind of focusing on me and telling me their story (apparently they do this to every newcomer). At the end, I was given a chance to briefly speak. It was no biggie!

Now...my problem is that I went to the AA meeting that my husband used to go to when he was actively attending. I don't plan on "taking" his meeting place, but I didn't see the harm that day, as I needed something STAT and I knew he wasn't going to be there. So...I will either go to the same location at a different time or find something closer to me all together.

I'm really happy I went, it felt good and validating to hear all these people talk about exactly what I'm going though/feeling.

I just wanted to give a little encouragement to anyone that has held off on attending a meeting - - it was pretty darn great! Go for it!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome! AA saved my life. Those people loved me to wellness. I'm so grateful!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovePeaceSushi View Post
I am 4 days completely sober. 2 days ago, I went to my very first AA meeting. WOW. If anyone reading this has any qualms about attending a meeting, then let me just say that I LOVED IT.

I have social anxiety and I am quite the introvert, so it was a little different to have everyone kind of focusing on me and telling me their story (apparently they do this to every newcomer). At the end, I was given a chance to briefly speak. It was no biggie!

Now...my problem is that I went to the AA meeting that my husband used to go to when he was actively attending. I don't plan on "taking" his meeting place, but I didn't see the harm that day, as I needed something STAT and I knew he wasn't going to be there. So...I will either go to the same location at a different time or find something closer to me all together.

I'm really happy I went, it felt good and validating to hear all these people talk about exactly what I'm going though/feeling.

I just wanted to give a little encouragement to anyone that has held off on attending a meeting - - it was pretty darn great! Go for it!

Awesome.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great news. Finding a meeting that you feel accepted and comfortable is very encouraging. I attend many different types because they are all different. Just remember the one you don't want to attend is the one you need.

Good luck with AA. Get a sponsor and a commitment. It will change your life. Take the good, leave the bad, and be grateful.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you went lovepeacesushi

D
Old 09-21-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We're glad you had a great AA experience and that you're here with us.

AA has certainly been the answer to my alcohol problems, so I just keep sticking with it.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt like you did when I first went to AA - and even more strongly when I went back too AA (in a different place) after my relapse.
Going to AA is probably the best thing I did in my life.
I hope you will get a sponsor too and start working the steps. I'm in the middle of the process and I already feel it helps a lot!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be alive without AA. You're going for yourself, you've taken a big step. Yeaaaaa...
Old 09-21-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's great to hear! I love AA, too. Sober 32 days! Not my first go around. I was surprised and awed at how they welcomed me back again!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad to read this! Keep coming back!
Old 09-22-2017, 04:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
G-Woman

That's absolutely awesome

AA has been instrumental in helping me stay sober. It's not for everyone, but I know that I needed that support and accountability in my life.