Notices

Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test

Old 09-11-2017, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test

Has anyone taken this test? AUDIT Questionnaire - find out if you have an alcohol problem. It's supposedly the new standard for assessing alcohol abuse. I'm curious what other people think.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I scored 4 which means I am a sensible drinker. I don't think I will put it to the test though. Could be fatal.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Answering as I was towards the end of my drinking days, I'd have scored 30 if I had been honest. I'm not sure I could have been honest, though. That's the trouble with questionnaires like this, they're only meaningful if you answer honestly, but denial often leads us to understate quantities and frequencies in the hope of "passing".
Old 09-12-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here's alcoholic honest for you. I remember taking a test similar to this when I was actively drinking. Answer these questions with the mindset I recall having then scored me a 3. Now, when I answer the questions based on the honest memories of my active drinking, I score a 37.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I did not need a test - I had all the evidence I needed and it was overwhelming. I still ignored it for years though.

I think tests like this can be problematic in 2 ways.

1. The allow you to "compare" your drinking to others, which really isn't helpful.

2. Somewhat related to #1, they let your addiction tell you that things might really not be all that bad. And for some, this actually serves as false validation to continue drinking.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A few months into sobriety, I posted about alcohol use tests. Here's what I wrote:
----------------------------------------------------

Someone on SR posted a link to the Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST). It is tests like these that kept me drinking for years. Took it today and scored a 2, which implies:

"Your answers to this alcohol screening test suggest that you are in the normal range and at low risk of problem drinking.”

Friends, read back through my blogs and forum posts. I am not a 2. I guess this test hasn’t figured out how to defeat the deception and cunning of the chronic drinker. The MAST seems to target a specific kind of drinker. Yes, the obnoxious, violent, public drunk will alienate friends and family and eventually find him or herself on the wrong side of the law. Depending on the amount of alcohol consumed over however long, there is likely to be medical issues. Alcoholism is progressive and problems at work, drinking in the morning is almost inevitable for the late-stage alcoholic. And this test, if the drinker is honest when answering, will probably identify that “kind” of problem drinking.

But there is another type of drinker. The kind I was. The kind who may post to SR and ask, “Am I an Alcoholic?”

We drink a lot, but we don’t have the problems identified in the MAST. We work, are successful, never had a DUI or any other problems with the law. In social settings we are affable and can often be seen calming the crazy drunks down. Few suspect we have a drinking problem. And if they do, they haven’t communicated that concern to us. We meet all our obligations, so family members aren't complaining. So far, we have no medical problems to speak of. In fact, we may be in great shape; we’re runners, or bikers; go to the gym regularly; watch what we eat.

So what kind of drinker am I? Why am I on SR?

Alcohol was my secret friend. Only he and I knew what kind of joy I got out of our friendship, what it did to me when he wasn’t there. At lot of my drinking was done alone. I was never without it. And a lot of what I had, I hid from the person closest to me.

Never missed a day of work, but only I knew how many of those days were wasted ones because of hangovers and being tired from late night bingeing. Drinking alone, who was to know of the rages, the depression, the crying jags. Only I knew the increased consumption was due to tolerance. Only I knew of the NEED to drink, the obsession to get drunk. Only I knew I drank to hide my disappointment, my shame, my guilt. Only I knew of the switch that “clicked” on when I chugged that first beer. But I didn’t always know why it didn’t always click off.

And that’s why I’m on SR, blessed to be four and half months of sober. I looked into the crystal ball and saw ahead of me a perfect score on the MAST. And for anyone else who scored a 2 or 3 on the test, let me tell you, it’s hard enough quitting when you are a 2. Don’t wait to score a 21. It might be too late.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I score in the mid 20s, and I'm still prone to thinking that maybe if I try just a little bit harder to drink "responsibly" I could pull it off. Bad idea.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heh I scored a 37 - I answered based on the way I was at the end of my drinking. Yeah, definitely don't wanna go back to that.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I scored a 15 which is considered moderate Alcohol Use Disorder. That's enough for me to want to stay quit. I would probably be over 30 if I continued to drink.

I do imagine that people lie. When I was actively drinking I probably would have scored an 8 or 9. Maybe even lower if I was feeling extra delusional.

I do believe it's about the relationship to alcohol and the amount or frequency. I was highly codependent with booze.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

pretty wild how i took a very similar test years ago, but it was to determine if i might be an alcoholic.
using the last year of my drinking, same results,too.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe it's because I was a Psychology major, but I love taking personality tests. They will tell you if your more prone to this or more prone to that. IMHO, they might give you a general idea of where you are at at a certain time, but those scores changes depending on the changes in one's life. Even an IQ score has little correlation to what a person can achieve. A person with a high IQ could find them pennyless and homeless, while someone with an average IQ could end up being a CEO.
My point is that a person's score on a test for alcoholism means little when it comes to how serious their drinking is and how much it's affecting their lives. Tests are fun to take, but the only thing that matters is how much drinking affects your life. John
Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I scored 33.

I still think I made a good call seeking help even though I didn't get a perfect score.

Perhaps I was less than honest on a few of them.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I scored 27 based on before I quit drinking, and got a 4 based on my current behavior. I thought my present score might be 0, but I guess there's still some danger in my life from alcohol...
Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm 17 days sober, so I answered base off my last binge and scored 27. The thought of drinking again scares the **** out of me.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My answers would have been when I was drinking- 4
Honestly answering now- 33
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
A few months into sobriety, I posted about alcohol use tests. Here's what I wrote:
----------------------------------------------------

Someone on SR posted a link to the Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST). It is tests like these that kept me drinking for years. Took it today and scored a 2, which implies:

"Your answers to this alcohol screening test suggest that you are in the normal range and at low risk of problem drinking.”

Friends, read back through my blogs and forum posts. I am not a 2. I guess this test hasn’t figured out how to defeat the deception and cunning of the chronic drinker. The MAST seems to target a specific kind of drinker. Yes, the obnoxious, violent, public drunk will alienate friends and family and eventually find him or herself on the wrong side of the law. Depending on the amount of alcohol consumed over however long, there is likely to be medical issues. Alcoholism is progressive and problems at work, drinking in the morning is almost inevitable for the late-stage alcoholic. And this test, if the drinker is honest when answering, will probably identify that “kind” of problem drinking.

But there is another type of drinker. The kind I was. The kind who may post to SR and ask, “Am I an Alcoholic?”

We drink a lot, but we don’t have the problems identified in the MAST. We work, are successful, never had a DUI or any other problems with the law. In social settings we are affable and can often be seen calming the crazy drunks down. Few suspect we have a drinking problem. And if they do, they haven’t communicated that concern to us. We meet all our obligations, so family members aren't complaining. So far, we have no medical problems to speak of. In fact, we may be in great shape; we’re runners, or bikers; go to the gym regularly; watch what we eat.

So what kind of drinker am I? Why am I on SR?

Alcohol was my secret friend. Only he and I knew what kind of joy I got out of our friendship, what it did to me when he wasn’t there. At lot of my drinking was done alone. I was never without it. And a lot of what I had, I hid from the person closest to me.

Never missed a day of work, but only I knew how many of those days were wasted ones because of hangovers and being tired from late night bingeing. Drinking alone, who was to know of the rages, the depression, the crying jags. Only I knew the increased consumption was due to tolerance. Only I knew of the NEED to drink, the obsession to get drunk. Only I knew I drank to hide my disappointment, my shame, my guilt. Only I knew of the switch that “clicked” on when I chugged that first beer. But I didn’t always know why it didn’t always click off.

And that’s why I’m on SR, blessed to be four and half months of sober. I looked into the crystal ball and saw ahead of me a perfect score on the MAST. And for anyone else who scored a 2 or 3 on the test, let me tell you, it’s hard enough quitting when you are a 2. Don’t wait to score a 21. It might be too late.
Really well said. Describes a lot of my experience but I probably couldn't articulate it as well as you have done!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Taking the test today, I scored like a normal drinker.

Had I, and my school buddies taken the same test when I was drinking, we all would have scored highly. We would have all had a severe diagnosis, some of them with drugs as well.

Today, both I and my buddies also score the same.

I was the only alcoholic in the group. The rest of them returned to moderate drinking, dropped the drugs, just grew out of it.

So the test tells me I am like them and they are like me, which is not the least bit true.

I used to like those questionnaire tests. They were the only thing I did where I could get a high score.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Normal drinkers don't seek "alcoholic" tests to know they are normal drinkers.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

If your drinking isn't a problem, then drink. If your drinking is a problem, stop. Don't really need a test to figure that out.

If you decide to stop and can't....well then, you may be an alcoholic. And if you can stop but life still seems the same only you're "not drinking" now, then you're probably an alcoholic. That was me - I could stop but sooner or later what I perceived as the pressure of life beat me up enough to where the idea of stopping sounded stupid and I'd end up drinking again. Life as I knew it didn't start to brighten up when I would screw some dry-time together.

Doesn't matter how much you drank, how often, the consequences or really any of the questions on there as far as I'm concerned. Can ya stay stopped when you try and when you are stopped, is life getting better?

In my past, I loved "tests" like this because they'd prove I wasn't an alcoholic in spite of mountains of evidence to the contrary.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, I took all these questionnaire tests for years. I always scored the highest mark. On this test I scored 40, the maximum, which is pretty sad, because the test asks whether you drank more than 10 UK units a day, the equivalent of a bottle of wine every day: when I drank three, or more a day.

These tests didn't stop me drinking, the high scores frightened me so much that I carried on, drinking to blot out the terrible score.......

So glad that's all behind me, what a nightmarish life I used to lead.