Notices

For the ladies - worse PMS?

Old 09-07-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For the ladies - worse PMS?

I'm having what feels like the worst PMS of my life. Is this withdrawal related or just an unfortunate coincidence?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

We do have a women's section if you scroll down on the front page of the forums.

My experience was that it seemed worse, especially when I was younger and in early sobriety. (chronic relapser here).

The first one or two were really bad this past time getting sober, then they seemed to ease up. I use the 12 steps of AA to stay stopped and those steps saved my life and seemed to change everything about my life!
Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks sugarbear. So nice to hear there is a woman's section. This site is great.

I'm sure exercising would help but I can't seem to get myself to do that. I'm also eating like crap.

I'm supposed to go to a work lunch tomorrow but that's one of my usual meeting times. I think I may just have to say I have an appointment. I can't sit around with work people and pretend to be happy right now when I'm a ball of raging withdrawal and PMS.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YES
Me too.
My PMS was out of CONTROL early on.
I still struggle with it though it is getting better.

I think I probably always had PMS but I was so drunk all the time that I just didn't know it.

I really really struggle with mine. It made me want to die in early sobriety. I would get horrible anxiety attacks and suicidal thoughts and intense rage.

I definitely suggest discussing it with a doctor, if it is very bad you may have PMDD as I do. Some birth control pills can help, as can supplements or an antidepressant.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I think I probably always had PMS but I was so drunk all the time that I just didn't know it.
So true. I have bipolar disorder so I always attributed my mood swings to that. They would just get worse 5 days before my period. But this has been the worst ever, physically and mentally. The only thing that I can compare it to was when I was on the pill and I was a force to be reckoned with.

I'm sure I was really affecting my hormones with heavy drinking and now my body is like "whaaaat?" I know that if your liver is overloaded your hormones get out of whack because the liver processes and eliminates excess hormones. It seems a little counterintuitive that my liver would be worse off now, but I guess that's why they call it detox.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes.....me too. It has been much worse. As far as I know alcohol raises circulating oestrogen levels (not an expert -worth talking to a doctor). I imagine the body has to readjust as hormone levels stabilise after quitting.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After I got sober, I sure seemed to notice my ex-wife's PMS (and the associated verbal abuse) a lot more.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I described getting sober as 24/7 PMS in a full moon! It passes, I promise.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Doglvr. Luckily the PMS is over now. Still feel emotionally raw but not nearly as bad.