Notices

Just a question

Old 10-24-2004, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a question

Is it possible to stop the drinking without rehab? the continuous cyclepart? I may be in denial about needing rehab but I don't think I do. i feel that I should be able to stop without having to go to a rehab center. In fact I don't even know if the drinking is an issue maybe its just the oterhs who feel like I sholdn't drink. I really am a bit confused I guess
Old 10-24-2004, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((((Paragon))))

I quit drinking without rehab.......and have been 19 years clean. Now here is the BUT,about 6 years into my my soberiety I became the co-dependent from hell!!! When I finally got into treatment for it I realized if I had gone to AA for my drinking I most likely would not have needed to go to alanon or naranon....hindsight is always 20/20
Old 10-24-2004, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 19 years sober. that stinks about the codependent thing. Its good that you finally overcame it. I guess my big issue is I don't even know if I want to stop, I don't see it as hurting anything right now
Old 10-24-2004, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Hi paragon !

Stick around,read some posts,you dont haveto figure it all out today.A good method to try is to go 90 days without drinking and see how you feel than,I wish you the best! Trish
Old 10-24-2004, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you take it or leave it? Does it really matter that much if you go without drinking for a while? I aggree with Trish, try the 90 days without drinking.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Honestly I have a hard time going more than a week. I tell myself I can and I try but I end up drinking. I guess that means I probably do need to try the rehab thing
Old 10-24-2004, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((((PL)))))

Why don't you try some AA meetings and see if you can get some help. Most cities have lots of meetings so you can probably find several that would fit in with your schedual...
Old 10-24-2004, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried AA meetings before, wasn't very successful. It just didn't feel right to me. And I gave it an honest try. I don't know, maybe htis is just something I will never be able to beat
Old 10-24-2004, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Dont get discouraged !

If you really want to stop drinking and have a meaningful recovery there is a way.Please dont give up on AA,believe me they will never give up on you.keep the faith. Trish
Old 10-24-2004, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

if i can't stop drinking when i start, and when i do stop i of course will pass out, but the next day i will not remember anything at all. its like that day never happened. so would you say that i have a problem?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Would you ?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Paragonlost--No, unfortunately AA will not be "for you" until you are really ready to surrender to this thing. Of course, neither will rehab. And just so you know, MANY rehab centers base their programs on the 12 steps.

The very sad thing about us alcoholics is that we have to hit some kind of bottom before we can do anything about our addiction. It sounds to me like you haven't hit it yet. However, the "bottom" does NOT have to mean you lose everything and are living homeless on the street. For me, my bottom was more of an emotional and spiritual one. For the most part, the rest of my life was going okay.

Hang around for a while. Read some posts and see if you can identify and keep thinking about what drinking is doing for you.

Best of luck to you--

P.S. Tequilagirlee--no one can decide if you have a problem but you. However, normal people do not drink like that. Welcome to SR. Hope you post a "hello" on the newcomers board so more can welcome you.