Notices

Living a new life

Old 08-30-2017, 01:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Living a new life

It has been a minute since I've been here. I talked to a newcomer earlier today and they mentioned posting here, so I figured I'd come on back and say hello.

Looking at my post history, I last posted about getting my ninety day chip. Today marks one thousand and forty-eight days of continuous sobriety for me.

There were two years where I could not get an honest 60 days. I kept trying to stay sober, relapsing, justifying "just one drink", going back to AA with my tail between my legs, posting here and on other forums about my troubles, drinking, again and again. Sixty days seemed like it was impossible.

Then I started to take some more action. I got a sponsor in AA. I posted here and on other forums related to alcoholism, and I read about sobriety and talked to other alcoholics every day.

The first few months were hard, full of anxiety, loneliness, and fear. As time wore on those feelings faded, along with the cravings.

My life has completely changed for the better. I have made friends both online and in AA, and I finally have actual hobbies (auto racing and music) to keep me busy. I am financially stable, my relationship with my wife has improved, and perhaps happiest of all, I am free of the self-hatred and guilt my drinking brought with it,

I am grateful to be sober today. If you'd told me how much better my life would become, I wouldn't have believed you.

Thank you all for your help here in my early sobriety. And to those starting out, keep going - it gets way better.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwestdork View Post
It has been a minute since I've been here. I talked to a newcomer earlier today and they mentioned posting here, so I figured I'd come on back and say hello.

Looking at my post history, I last posted about getting my ninety day chip. Today marks one thousand and forty-eight days of continuous sobriety for me.

There were two years where I could not get an honest 60 days. I kept trying to stay sober, relapsing, justifying "just one drink", going back to AA with my tail between my legs, posting here and on other forums about my troubles, drinking, again and again. Sixty days seemed like it was impossible.

Then I started to take some more action. I got a sponsor in AA. I posted here and on other forums related to alcoholism, and I read about sobriety and talked to other alcoholics every day.

The first few months were hard, full of anxiety, loneliness, and fear. As time wore on those feelings faded, along with the cravings.

My life has completely changed for the better. I have made friends both online and in AA, and I finally have actual hobbies (auto racing and music) to keep me busy. I am financially stable, my relationship with my wife has improved, and perhaps happiest of all, I am free of the self-hatred and guilt my drinking brought with it,

I am grateful to be sober today. If you'd told me how much better my life would become, I wouldn't have believed you.

Thank you all for your help here in my early sobriety. And to those starting out, keep going - it gets way better.
What a great post, congrats ... A great help to me many thanks.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back newwest and thanks for sharing a very positive message with us. And congrats on your lenghty sober time as well.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sober time

D
Old 08-30-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing -- my feelings are very similar.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So great to hear, congratulations!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Great news ND. Strange thing is I did the same thing and got the same result. I think a few others have too. Really glad you came back to tell us about it.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you
Old 08-31-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Thanks for sharing that newwest. It's very affirming to me at the beginning of this journey.

O
Old 08-31-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Thanks for sharing. Life really is much better, isn't it.