Notices

"Alcoholism" on my medical chart

Old 08-31-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What Gottalife and Doug said, in particular.

I remember not liking "alcoholic hepatitis" on my record. Among many things I "didn't like," medical or other related, while still drinking.

Now, I'd like it a whole lot less if a toe tag had any kind of alcohol-related cause of death on it for my loved ones to read.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I have "alcohol abuse disorder - severe" on my chart at the moment. Never heard of "alcoholism - in remission" until just the other day. I loved the sound of it, but didn't know it was a true diagnoses. Thought it was just one of those recovery community phrases.

The world of recovery/discovery wasn't fully open to me until I started telling the honest truth to medical professionals over the course of the past several months. Now that I've been straightforward with all of them, including my Employee Assistance Program, a load has been lightened. They are medical professionals because they want to help and (I just now had this thought) we do a service to them and to ourselves when we tell it like it is.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'd ask them to remove it if it bothers you, alcoholism isn't the name of a medical condition in any diagnostic manual. Alcohol use disorder is but you could claim you don't have it.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Berrybean's post is spot on!

I have "alcohol abuse" on my chart. It's true! You're not fooling anyone lying to a healthcare professional. Be honest and take their advice the same way you would if you had any other illness.

I am so excited to finally revisit my doc and say, "Haven't had a drink in over a month, sought treatment, and I am going to AA." I am sure a lot of his patients for this and many other things (like being overweight or high cholesterol) don't listen the way they should. I feel like he will be happy.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
I just saw my GP yesterday for my regular checkup, labs and prescription renewals. "Alcoholism - in remission" and the date I quit is in my chart too. He is the man that was there for me at the start of my sober journey as he set up my "at home" detox and referred me to an outpatient treatment program (i was resistant to inpatient detox/treatment).

When we discussed getting sober my BP was 165/95 and I weighed 180lbs (at 5'9"). Yesterday my BP was 110/74 and i weighed 160lbs.

Now that notation in my chart is just a reminder of how far I've come since April 17, 2013.
Great job, brother.

It's been a pleasure to be a part of your input and wisdom on this forum.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I assume that my medical chart reflects that I am an alcoholic.

That's what I told my doctor.

I have never seen my medical record or chart that my GP maintains.

It sounds like the mythical "permanent record" that they used to threaten me with in school.

I'll bet my record, for whatever little it may be worth, also contains the word "recovering".

I try hard to maintain excellent health.

It's a big deal to me - God gives us one body, mind and soul, and I try to take good care of all of them.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I can learn to live with it. I've got much bigger problems than a word on my medical records.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My doctor removed alcohol abuse from my chart and I didn't even have to ask. She must have done it after I told her I quit drinking. It felt good to see that and made me more resolved to stay sober.