Notices

2nd DUI

Old 08-24-2017, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd DUI

I made the mistake of getting my second dui in 2 years a few months ago. I had been doing better but I guess I was not strong enough.

Worse yet I am currently a student and will soon have to apply for jobs, I am scared this will not be easy. Does anyone have experience landing a well paid job after a second offense? I know I messed up, please be supportive and non judgmental.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've no experience to share with DUIs but welcome to SR gradstudent - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-24-2017, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome gradstudent. I have had a single dui but not 2. I would agree that seeing advice from an attorney would probably be your best bet on the job side of things. I'd also recommend taking a hard look at how your drinking is affecting you...do you still drink?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Typically DUIs aren't looked at in the same light as, say, a violent or sex crime. Depending upon the job you're applying for, your judgment might be called into question if the two were a short time apart.

Above all...DO NOT LIE on the application. Be upfront about it and if you are asked by the interviewer, tell them what you're doing to take care of your alcohol issue.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grayghost1965 View Post
Typically DUIs aren't looked at in the same light as, say, a violent or sex crime. Depending upon the job you're applying for, your judgment might be called into question if the two were a short time apart.

Above all...DO NOT LIE on the application. Be upfront about it and if you are asked by the interviewer, tell them what you're doing to take care of your alcohol issue.
You will not be hired if you tell an employer you have two DUIs. In this case, you have virtually no choice but to lie. Anyone who says revealing your two DUIs is going to get you a job isn't being realistic or honest with you.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You will probably get a lot of advice on whether to lie or not on your application and/or interview.
Just keep in mind that your DUI's will most likely be on your background check
Old 08-25-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my state DUIs come up on a standard background check. So if someone lies, they'll be found out before hiring (if the employer does a standard check.) They come up even when applying for apartment rentals, credit cards, etc.

I guess that is a question for an attorney.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did you plead guiltily? Did you hire an attorney? My friend got charged with one but hired a lawyer and got it reduced to a reckless driving. Was then able to get the reckless driving record sealed after a few years.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's on a background check in the US.
LYING is NEVER a good policy. Period.
If an employer finds out you lied, that's not going to pan out well.
GL,
Jules
Old 08-25-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i believe you can apply to get one removed by the state if it's been long enough. However, i have no experience with any of this. It's my recollection from past years listening to other's experiences in AA.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that the most important thing is, are you still drinking or have you decided to stop drinking? I hope you stop because alcoholism is a progressive disease.

I hope you have success in your job search.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gradstudent1986 View Post
I made the mistake of getting my second dui in 2 years a few months ago. I had been doing better but I guess I was not strong enough.

Worse yet I am currently a student and will soon have to apply for jobs, I am scared this will not be easy. Does anyone have experience landing a well paid job after a second offense? I know I messed up, please be supportive and non judgmental.
We are by all means supportive and nonjudgmental.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I suggest that you seek help for your drinking-related issues, whatever they may be.

That would be a good start to help prospective employers know that you are serious about ensuring that this doesn't happen again.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I got a DUI 5 years ago and it is still affecting my job. I didn't get fired but am not allowed to transport clients any more and had to transfer from daytime to overnights since overnight staff does not transport clients. I applied for some per diem work with another agency and was rejected because of the OUI. I spent about $12,000 dollars for lawyer fees and ended up having to plead guilty anyway. My lawyer knew he couldn't help me but strung me along and took my money anyway. It was the most stupid and expensive thing I have ever done but at least I learned my lesson. Hopefully you will find an understanding employer but I agree with the others who told you not to lie. I think that would turn me off worse than an OUI if I was in charge of hiring.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have got 2 DUIs (OVIs) in 4 months 10 years ago. It was terrible at the time! Just be honest and tell them how serious you are about your sobriety and how hard you are working! The farther away you get from your DUIs, the better!

BTW...I got a teaching job AND a job with young children after the DUIs. I was about 18 mo sober. Good luck. You'll be ok as long as you stay sober.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Originally Posted by TooMuchAlcohol View Post
You will not be hired if you tell an employer you have two DUIs. In this case, you have virtually no choice but to lie. Anyone who says revealing your two DUIs is going to get you a job isn't being realistic or honest with you.
This is horrible advice! Of course 2 OWIs in such a relatively short time is bad and will have negative consequences for you but lying about it will make things worse. You just have to suck it up and be honest and sell yourself in any interviews you get. It sucks but it's something you've done and now you have to find a way to live with it and move on best you can.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

By the way, are you in AA or another program to help you change so you don't have to worry about OWIs in the future?
Old 08-27-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are definitely in a tough spot. My advice to be be completely honest with any future employee. I moved to a different state where I got my DUI and lied on the application cause I figured they wouldn't find out about the DUI but they did. Really had to go through a lot to keep my license.
After that, I was totally honest about my DUI with a future employer and I still got the job. It wasn't the greatest job but it paid enough to pay my bills.
You might have to suck it up and pick up some not so great jobs in your field for a while to build up your resume. I'm sure that would help for you to eventually secure a well paying job.
I know this won't help your current situation but I got my DUI a long time ago and have picked up several jobs since then, most working with kids and it was never an issue.
Meanwhile, come up with a plan to stop drinking. Without that, there's a pretty good chance your problems are just beginning. Kinda like going to college. Develop a plan and follow it. Good luck. John
Old 08-27-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As of now there's no way I would tell future employers about your dui's. But this will all depend on your drivers license situation. As long as you have at least a restricted drivers license you should be ok. If you apply for jobs while having a suspended drivers license it will be more difficult.

But the most important thing right now is making an all out commitment on staying sober. Your sobriety has to come first over school or a job or it will only get worse if you are an alcoholic.

I know from experience. I got one dui. Then a second one. That seemed real bad and certainly bad enough. But I too worried about a job, money, education.......over my sobriety. Then I got my third dui!

Luckily for me I had connections where I was still able to get an ok job after my third dui. And luckily for me that was my last drink. I now have 25 years of sobriety!
Old 08-27-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gradstudent1986 View Post

Does anyone have experience landing a well paid job after a second offense? I know I messed up, please be supportive and non judgmental.
Most jobs that don't require drivers licenses (driving on the job) probably won't be effected.

Although some such as teaching, law practice etc probably will be.
DUI's are for sure not one of the worst things one might have on their record.

Careful, many pick up a third DUI in time if continuing with the drink.

I know for I was one.

M-Bob
Old 08-27-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
nez

In order for me to experience recovery, I had to be honest. That meant ditching rationalizations and justifications. I had to be willing to take full ownership of my past and my present actions. To say yes, in front of the world if necessary, yes I did that. No excuses, no ifs, no ands, and no buts. I tried short cuts. I tried easier softer ways. They didn't work for me. Honesty did.

I have no regrets and today I experience peace and serenity. That is my story and I'm sticking to it! :~)