Notices

Temptation to drink overwhelming

Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
Great job Treeguy! Stay close to SR and keep fighting. Congratulations on 3 weeks!

One correction to your post: You meant to say "Today IS day 21," not "today will be day 21."
What I meant is it will be 21 days as long as I get through the entire day and night sober.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just don't drink TODAY. I've been doing that for 25 years and it works.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're still moving forward treeguy

D
Old 08-19-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

way to go, treeguy!

just looking at your title...it felt/seemed overwhelming, but didn't ultimately overwhelm.
interesting what words we use to decribe things....
Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Today will be 22 days sober. Amazing to think how close I am to one month. Still seeing things in a different light now that I have a clear head. Thinking back to some time ago when I was growing up how my surroundings looked and felt, and it's almost like I'm going back to that old feeling because I'm sober. I'm not seeing things in an alcohol / drug induced haze.

Still struggling though. Sort of in limbo right now waiting to hear whether I'm going to have a job I applied for. I don't do well with down time and I'm the type of person that needs structure otherwise I don't know what to do with myself. Trying to make the best of the situation for the time being but it depresses me at times and makes me think about drinking. And trying to come to terms with living sober and not under the influence and being able to enjoy things and relax without having to use.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I just celebrated 49 months, and believe me I was a complete drunkard. I drank almost daily at the end. I was 46 years old before I decided I had enough. Sure, I quit numerous times over the years and went as far as one year sober back in 96. I always back in my mind knew that I was going to drink again one day. Please don't be that guy who waste 30 plus years on booze. You have to ask yourself if you really want to stop. Until you have a real honest mental inventory of yourself and make a decision that you want to do this for you. Until then nothing will work. You have to make a decision that drinking is for everyone else not you. You also need to realize what a gift it is to be able to live this life without thinking about the next drink. All these so called normal drinkers arent' that normal to me. Drinking to me is nothing but a waste of time and detrimental to your health, finances, relationships etc. Think of all the money and things you can do instead of gulping alcohol. Yes, it took me over thirty years to realize this. Please don't be me.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Today was day 25. Been having a few good days lately. Weather is nice and I'm getting things done. Have a good night everyone.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How ya doing treeguy?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Stay strong. Keep resisting the temptation. You may never be able to have a drink without falling back into a problem. But you don't need it. So don't take the risk. If drinking was making you happy you wouldn't be trying to get sober. Keep reminding yourself why you quit.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have had so many relapses. I was 5 months sober at one time, then blew it all because I thought I could drink on vacation and stopped taking my antabuse. Now I know I cannot handle any alcohol or I will be right back where I started. Someone mentioned "kindling" which means the withdrawal and detox gets worse every time you go through it. It is definitely true, I can attest to that. I think I may finally be at the point where I realize I can't put my body through that again. You are young and if you can get a handle on it at a young age imagine how great that would be. I'm 60 years old and still struggling.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 29 is coming to a close. Feeling pretty good to be almost at a whole month.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Awesome, treeguy! Will you be serving cake?

Make sure you read tnman1967's post carefully - there's a lot of important information packed into that relatively small space.