Notices

You're not a special snowflake

Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

You're not a special snowflake

And I'm not either. Outside of our own circle of addicts in recovery (whatever stage that may be) we are just like everyone else. Unless you've been an addict or have been close to an addict, most folks do not understand this illness, disease, sin or whatever your believe system would have you label it. We are warriors and veterans only in our own minds. We fought battles no one else knew existed, fought enemies no one else can see.

But we persevered. We overcame. Take this as an encouragement next time someone tries to downplay what you've been through. You've been there, they were not.

May God add his blessing!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I am! lol
Old 08-16-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

PFFFF I'm unique just like everyone else....
Old 08-16-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
PFFFF I'm unique just like everyone else....
Hahaha!!
Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SIV- 'yes....we are all individuals'. Yes there are many commonalities in addiction- we are all just garden variety alcie's.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a survivor Steve. This disease almost killed me. I'm choosing not to die of alcoholism. I'm surviving on a daily basis. Nothing more, nothing less. If anyone were to downplay my alcoholism I would choose not to listen to them. If it was someone I cared about I would educate them on alcoholism.
Do I feel like a warrior? Not at all. I feel lucky. I'm not dying of the disease known as alcoholism.
Thanks for your post buddy. Made me stop and think about it.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you sober?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Are you sober?
I am today and today is all I have right now.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Redmayne

I get the point...

I get the point but forgive me, I've always understood that only about & of those generally referred to as alcoholics actually suffer from the two fold disease/illness of alcoholism which consists of a physical allergy and a mental obsession (see 'Joe Charlie's:Big Book Study)

Whereas the remainder suffer from addiction to alcoholism, which like all addictions is caused by a mental obsession, the alcohol being but a symptom in either case.

That said I must admit the worst case scenario in either case are those who, in denial defend their drinking by suggesting their case is different....

If you walk like a duck, and talk like a duck, you're a duck, right! No use going around pretending you're a Siberian wild goose just flown in from the Arctic wilderness!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
And I'm not either. Outside of our own circle of addicts in recovery (whatever stage that may be) we are just like everyone else. Unless you've been an addict or have been close to an addict, most folks do not understand this illness, disease, sin or whatever your believe system would have you label it. We are warriors and veterans only in our own minds. We fought battles no one else knew existed, fought enemies no one else can see.

But we persevered. We overcame. Take this as an encouragement next time someone tries to downplay what you've been through. You've been there, they were not.

May God add his blessing!
I couldn't agree more. I feel like I've come back from a long war that no one knows about.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Are you sober?
No, I've been smoking dogfood all day and I'm high as a kite

(I'm being sarcastic. Everyone knows dogfood doesn't burn very well...)
Old 08-18-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I couldn't agree more. I feel like I've come back from a long war that no one knows about.

That about describes it for me, at least my mentality as of late.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's true. When I hear someone say "I have been sober for years" , I go from " yeah just a random dude" to "woooww, he's a goddamn phoenix!"
Old 08-18-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've always interpreted/understood the special snowflake comment to mean that "different rules do NOT apply to me [ because I'm an alcoholic just like you]"....it keeps that dreaded "terminal uniqueness" kind of thinking at bay!

And like OOTT said, we are the warriors, the strong ones. Everyone doesn't get to make it this side- IMO it's a reality that so many people don't decide soon enough to take a chance on sobriety, and we don't get unlimited chances til a terrible end catches up with us.

Bottom line, very grateful I was taught well and early to seek out the people who have what I want and try to be like them, and not to think I could do this recovery thing "my way." It's keeping me sober, and I am grateful to be a couple days short of 18 mo.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A friend said to me recently " we are really proud of you " - meaning him and his partner...
I said 'thanks' of course but inside I am thinking " I don't have anything to be proud of, I shouldn't have let myself get into that state in the first place "
I don't take compliments well
Old 08-18-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
That said I must admit the worst case scenario in either case are those who, in denial defend their drinking by suggesting their case is different....
I'm not sure I would characterize it as 'denial', but I thought that my case was indeed different for a long time. At first, I thought I wasn't like that guy who drank alone at home (until I was). Then, I wasn't like those people who had to quit because they couldn't drink alone at home where it was 'safe' and stay out of trouble (until I was).

Finally, I reasoned that I wasn't like those people who could actually quit drinking, because I was a 'really tough case', a tough nut to crack.

Other people could recover, but not me...
Old 08-18-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Other people could recover, but not me...

This was one of the lies my AV told me too and I believed it. Other people had something in them that I lacked and I was incapable of getting and staying sober. It was something other people could do but never me. That belief held me back for too long. It was deeply ingrained in me that that was just the way I was built, it was in my DNA, and I would never escape it. Turns out it was just another lie. I had the power inside me the whole time, I just had to believe and trust myself and stop trying and just do it.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

I figured everyone had there fix some gamble some excercise some knit some drink some eat ice cream some play the lotto etc.. I just figured drinking was the fix that I used almost as if nothing else but that would work for me. Not I got a lot of other fixes but there healthy choices is all.

I suppose I was right everyone has there fix but it does not have to be a bad one.

I never invisioned myself sober and without a cigarette in my mouth they where so much a part of me and who I was even others have said the same they never imagined me without those things.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

when i thought i was unique and special, it was brought into perspective with one quick fact.
7 BILLION people on earth at this time alone.