Notices

New issues after sobriety

Old 08-12-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New issues after sobriety

After a long time of sobriety, Iīm facing new issues related to my behavior. I donīt like the things I used to like a few years ago, I donīt have any desire for sex or serious relationships, I became a cold, loner and arrogant man with my family and everybody else, Iīm feeling empty, completely showing no emotions and unaffected by emotions. I never attended AA, Iīm atheist, it wouldnīt never fit to me, I embraced my sobriety through meds and a psychiatrist only. I just wanted to share it. ..
Old 08-12-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Flavinho

It doesn't sound like sober you is someone you want to be so why not change that?

what do you think is keeping you cold and aloof arrogant and devoid of emotion?

D
Old 08-12-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Flavinho, I guess you want to change or you wouldn't be posting here. As long term sober I do find my tastes have changed and I've embraced my introverted self. Alcohol was great for bringing me out of my shell; if only I could have stopped at one or two.

I suggest you might want to explore why you have become cold and distant with your family. It must be hurtful to them. If you love them, work out what's going on.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

I'm finding that I had to "reinvent" myself after I was sober. Things that were once really important just weren't anymore. Other things in my life took their place. Goes to show how the booze hazed our brain and emotions.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor but it sounds like depression. I wish I had advice. I think it's just a matter of getting involved in something. Volunteer perhaps?
Hang in there buddy...
Old 08-12-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Almost all of us find that something else needs to change afrer we quit drinking flavino. The change is not easy either...most of us used alcohol to try and escape or run away from these underlying issues. The good news is that anyone can change if you truly want to. You may want to discuss these issues with a counselor or therapist if you have the ability to do so.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

sorry to hear youre feeling low Flavinho.

if youre taking medication and they aren't offering much relief, it might be worth speaking to your doctor about changing dosage or medication
Old 08-12-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't have to believe in God to be in AA. Even if I was an atheist, I'd still be in AA, because it helps me to be a better person. I wasn't capable of having the needed change of perspective on my own.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

You sound like you have been working with a doctor so I would definitely sit down with them and go through everything. If you are on meds those could be affecting you in who knows what ways.

Medicine issues aside, you sound a lot like an alcoholic who simply stopped drinking. Drinking was your solution to life and now it's gone and you don't know how to deal with life without the drink. Lots of people meet a terrible ending in life because they can stop drinking but don't know how to deal with life so they get out. The program of AA will help you with this and give you hope again. Like stated above, you don't need to believe in God to be successful or to follow the program of AA. Go to some meetings with an open mind and you may be very surprised and what you learn!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flavinho View Post
After a long time of sobriety, Iīm facing new issues related to my behavior. I donīt like the things I used to like a few years ago, I donīt have any desire for sex or serious relationships, I became a cold, loner and arrogant man with my family and everybody else, Iīm feeling empty, completely showing no emotions and unaffected by emotions. I never attended AA, Iīm atheist, it wouldnīt never fit to me, I embraced my sobriety through meds and a psychiatrist only. I just wanted to share it. ..
In the Big Book Appendices #2 it mentions Most emphatically we wish to say that any alcoholic capable of honestly facing his problems in the light of our experience can recover, provided he does not close his mind to all spiritual concepts. He can only be defeated by an attitude of intolerance and belligerent denial.

It sounds like you're also suffering from depression. That's something you and your doctor have to work through. But I would still give AA a try. Many people in AA at one time or still do have similar feelings to yours.

But working through the steps and asking some kind of higher power for help, and it doesn't always have to be God, you can change alot of what you're going through.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, nothing changes if nothing changes. Enjoy it or make a change!

AG
Old 08-12-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Regarding AA and faith, I'm sober 25 years and am an agnostic. Literature says a higher power is whatever we say it is. In my case GOD = "group of drunks". It works fine when I do the steps. I also suffer from depression but thanks to medication I'm fine most of the time. What I get from the program is the 12 Steps, which lead to real change, a fellowship of folks who understand me and the ability to do service. We alcoholics have enormous self will and are self-centered in the extreme. Through the steps and doing service I've changed a great deal. Helping other alcoholics gets me out of my self-centered fear.

I've felt what you describe, the flatness and lack of life spirit is devastating. But I have the tools to get out of it now, like picking up the phone and calling a newcomer.

A big hug!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all answers, I will update my doc with all my current issues, hopefully it will be fixed shortly.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

"problems" are a part of life. That they occur isn't as important to me as how I handle them and whether I created them. Most of the time I have a BIG part in their creation and how I handle them is indicative of how I'm really doing in my recovery.

Not drinking, to me, does not mean I'm in recovery. It's a necessary that I'm dry however, to move onto the next phases that equate to real recovery. Since I stopped drinking, I've slammed into more than a few times in my life where I was truly IN recovery and I've hit a lot of patches where I was just as crazy, separated, alone, crazy and angry as all heck. It was these "black times" where I finally got a clue what it alcoholism was for me. It didn't ONLY affect me when I was drinking. In fact, it hit me harder when I was NOT drinking - the pain usually led to me looking for escape from the pain be it in the form of alcohol...... working too much, watching too much TV, hiding away on the internet, you name it.

The terms "Terror, frustration, bewilderment and despair" I don't ever really hit me when I was loaded...but they did a number on me when I was dry - not drinking but not recovering. When I finally realized that it was my life "sober" (really, my life when I'm abstaining from alcohol only)that was kicking my butt, then it made sense why "just don't drink" never worked all that well for me. It also became apparent being sober wasn't enough - I wanted more - I needed more.

Like the tag line in my signature alludes to - one can't create a new experience using the same thinking that they've always used. Something had to change. Either I had to settle for this new "life" of depression, fear, feeling like I used to all the time only finding a way to cope with it better ....or.... seeking out a new way to live - a new way to be. I certainly didn't WANT to do the latter but I couldn't stand another day with the former. It felt like a horrible dilemma. Like things couldn't go any lower. Thankfully, it was exactly where I needed to be to finally throw in the towel, swallow some pride, and start to take some new actions that I didn't like or feel like doing. Suffice it to say, my entire life and world changed as a result.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
2/2016

I am sorry to hear you feel empty inside. I know when I feel that way, it is a symptom of depression. Do you excercise at all? Also, please consider writing a gratitude list. You will be suprised how lucky you are when you put it down on paper. That helps me. Good luck! keep posting we are here for you
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Are still on meds now? Many such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, and naltrexone can have side effects of changing your personality such as making you apathetic and affecting sex drive.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A while back I listened to a very interesting speaker, a scientist whose name escapes me, but I heard about her on this site.

She made the statement that "you cannot selectively numb emotions."

Just speculating here, but let's suppose you are suffering from untreated alcoholism, which is a state often described resulting from not drinking without undergoing any other changes in ideas and behaviour.

That condition manifests itself through a whole gamut of negative emotions, summarized in AA as restless, irritable and discontent. It can also include fear, anger, resentment, boredom, intolerance etc. anger seems to be common, so if this was treated through medication to tone it down, it will tone down all the other emotions too, including the good ones like happiness, satisfaction, love, enjoyment etc.

So instead of being an unstable super grumpy sober person, one could become completely numb, non reactive, non caring, generally ambivalent sober person.

Neither condition has any appeal to me, and it seems you are not finding much fun in it either. Maybe it is time for a new approach. That might not be easy. I remember a woman coming of medication at six months sober for the sake of her unborn child. She reported that she began to feel all the uncomfortable feelings of early sobriety. It seems she hadnt managed to avoid them, just postpone them.

It seems to make sobriety a satisfactory way of life, there is a bit of pain to be gone through, and there doesn't seem to be any way around that.