This doesn't happen everyday, so.....

Old 08-15-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Wow what an uplifting post well done so happy for you
Old 08-15-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great post, Bulldog.

That's what I've discovered too: with a real commitment to sobriety, things fall into place.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What I did was easy compared to a lot of other sufferers. I had the love and support of my family. Something I thank my creator for every day.

We weren't a household that screamed...there was no yelling or punching holes in walls or broken furniture...i just disappeared a lot and slept a lot. My wife divorced herself from it years ago, emotionally. As long as I was quiet about it and my daughter didn't see it, she would leave me alone.

My daughter is almost 12 now and she now understands the magnitude of what Dad was going through....I think...She asked to watch an episode of intervention last night. I had to ask my wife...I really didn't know what to say. I asked her why?

I think I was more embarrassed than anything else. We picked the episode..it was one on Alcoholism and after she watched it she of course had questions.
I really thought they'd be deeper questions....
it went more like this...
"Dad, why did you do that?" -cause I was sad and didn't know how to deal with it. That's why it's very important that if you ever feel like that you make sure to tell one of us.
"But you're over it now?" -Yeah, I just have to keep telling people when I'm sad so they can help me not to make stupid choices
"So you better not do that again, OK? That's really dumb, Dad."--I agreed, it was dumb.
"Ok then, I'm gonna go play mario kart" -and that was it. That was the grand total of it.

I don't know if that's because of all the work i've done on me the last 17 months or that I wasn't a dramatic drunk. Maybe both..I'll probably never know. I just know now, my daughter seems no worse for wear and my wife can smile at me with love now. That...all by itself from both of them makes it ALL worth it.