Notices

My brother has same drinking pattern as I did

Old 08-05-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soberado

My brother has same drinking pattern as I did

Spent the last week with my brother and his kids for a vacation visit to my home base stomping grounds in NE Ohio. Had a great time but his drinking pattern has developed into the same as mine when I finally called it quits--hopefully forever by the Grace of God.

It reads something like this:
Sneaks out earily to buy beer 7:00AM, hides it and then in and out to the garage to pound them down. By noon I pick up on his agitation and anxiety and offer to take him to store for smokes or something (knowing full well what the problem is) and guess what more beer. This goes on and on until the next day and all week.

Now my dilemma:
I am an enabler, I bought him beer when he needed it and I hate myself for doing so. I reached out and told him that I was there for him and told him to slow it down and got attitude. I'm no Rhodes Scholar on recovery but I feel I have a good start, good outlook and know what this disease looks like from various angles. How can I show my younger brother the light when he is drifting into darkness? I want to help him because I care about him and don't want him to wreck his life but I feel the beast sunk his teeth into him and won't let go. Also, he lives five states away which limits my options to help.

Any advice?
Old 08-05-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Continue to set an example for your brother that life is so much better without booze. BE THE CHANGE!!!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2/2016

All you can do is tell your story, and leave it at that. I know you care, but you got attitude from him when you talked. He isn't ready. It has to be his idea and you can tell him never any judgment from you if he wants to talk,but you have to let go. If you are spirtual, turn it over to God and pray for him.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Soberado

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
All you can do is tell your story, and leave it at that. I know you care, but you got attitude from him when you talked. He isn't ready. It has to be his idea and you can tell him never any judgment from you if he wants to talk,but you have to let go. If you are spiritual, turn it over to God and pray for him.
HTown--You are 100% right he does not want to quit, I'm going to leave up to him. Thanks