Notices

Perspective

Old 08-03-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perspective

Today some of my AA pals and I visited a young guy who went back out and used again (heroin) he is in the intensive care unit of the hospital. He may lose a leg. He's not putting out urine in a lot of pain and on dialysis. He's lucky to be alive, as it looked bleak yesterday. He might need dialysis for the rest of his life. Probably not his intention when he wanted to get high one last time.

It really brought home to me what we do to our families/friends. I just wanted to tell everyone in my life how much I loved them.
To think not too long ago I wanted to die bc of this disease and now I just want to live.
How precious a gift sobriety is to myself and my loved ones (ha, that was just a typo of liver...yep, even my liver gets a happy hug!)
Seeing this stuff is so sad, but keeps it fresh in my mind that life is fleeting and my addiction to booze will kill me.
Take care all.
Jules
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is really sad to see things from the other side, especially knowing it could have easily been us in that situation. It was very nice of you to visit him, he will remember that.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing about attending AA meetings and/or visiting recovery sites such this you realize what can happen if you pick up a drink/drug.

It's rarely pretty.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's so scary that for any of us, that nightmare is just one drink away. It's always in the forefront of my mind that addiction has one of the highest mortality rates of any disease...and it's also the only one we can chose to suffer from or not.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I don't dwell on it but I do appreciate the occasional, powerful reminder by example of what just one drink could do to me.

Best to your friend.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks August.

It's amazing that I live in one of the largest recovery cities in the US. With that said, we lose roughly 1 person a week to this disease. Granted, they are largely lost to the Heroin epidemic. Young kids some not even but 19 years old. It's just awful. Only seen one old timer pass of natural causes at a ripe 84 with decades of sobriety. That was beautiful!
Have a good weekend all.
Jules