Notices

I have 26 days today

Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have 26 days today

So here is a roundup of what I am doing/my feelings/questions:

-I have 26 days today (drank wine for 10 years, binging once a week towards the end on 1 or 1.5 bottles maybe twice a week)
-I have a sponsor and go to meetings 6 out of 7 days a week.
-I still take klonopin as prescribed (0.5 mg at night) by my psychiatrist (i have been on kpin for 10 years)
-I am eating healthy, but I actually ate WAY healthier when I was drinking (drinking tons of coffee, candy, ice cream, i had a cheeseburger - i never ate unhealthy foods or candy while drinking)

My feelings:
-I felt really great the first two weeks (like I was exiting hell or something), but that has worn off
-I really don't like getting out of bed for work and today I literally had to use all my efforts to do it
-My sleep is low quality
-My joints hurt
-I don't want to do anything and want to just nap, but my naps suck

Questions:
-When will I feel better
-Did anyone else feel similar in the beginning?
-Did you feel "in your head" a lot when everyone at work seemed happy and social, having a hard time with people?

PS - I tried multiple times to do this in the past hence being a member here for so many years...but was unable. I can't believe it's almost 10 years later and I'm back. It took TEN YEARS! This disease is no joke.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
-When will I feel better
Not right away. You didn't get to where you are now in 26 days of drinking. It's going to take more than 26 days of not drinking to get to normal.

While the particular symptoms vary from person to person, I'd say you are right where you are supposed to be at 26 days sober. Stay sober and you'll see improvement.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

everyone is different , you need to re-evaluate the situation and your thought process. In the beginning I believe its difficult for everyone and yes I believe the body does go thru changes , lack of alcohol, poison going thru your system, I mean the body has to rely on that garbage since we abused it for so long, BUT eventually once you fluch yourself and the body gets the nutrients it needs, I believe you'll start feeling better.

Mentally you need to position yourself to succeed, do not relive the old days or beat yourself up about the past, forget about that person your were, and mentally focus on the person you want to be!!!!

26 days is a long time , but if you were anything like myself, with 20 years of abuse's, its gonna take a bit of time!!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome back, chiquen81!

I gave myself a full year for my body, brain and soul to recover. I asked very little of myself, except 100% commitment to sobriety for good.

In retrospect, I am very glad that I did give myself that time, as it was a pretty bumpy first year. I was all over the place emotionally, my brain was in a fog and my memory was but a distant memory (hahaha )

I hope you will add "patience" to your list

Recovery takes time, but the payoff is priceless.

Oh yeah, and stick around and soak up some of the gold floating around on this site! I don't do face to face meetings but what I have learned on SR has helped me in countless ways
Old 08-02-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi chiquen. Fabulous that you've reached 26 days.

I drank for decades, so I definitely felt shredded in the early weeks - still exhausted & not sleeping well, filled with anxiety. Happy to be free of it, and looking forward to feeling better - but not there yet. Yes, I was definitely in my head & obsessing about drinking/not drinking. I think at around 2-3 mos. I started being more excited about my new life. You are doing great.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Chiquen

The more years I drank the longer it took me to feel ok again. By the end I don;t really think I was ok until 90+ days.

Of course your mileage may vary considerably and
I hope it's a shorter time for you.

Regardless of that, sounds like you're definitely on the right road now - congratulations

D
Old 08-02-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow! I literally could have written this.. I know exactly what you are going through. I even have to take the .5 klonopin/ day. As far as the feeling better goes, I really don't know, but it seems like some people have given great advice. We have messed with our brain chemicals and suppressed emotions for so long, I believe it takes time for things to get better. When I first quit it lasted about 3.5 months, and I felt good for the most part, but I was definitely having to deal with depression and anxiety that I treated with wine (my drug of choice too) for so long. Right now I'm on my third attempt to quit, at 16 days. I find some days are better than others. This morning I didn't want to wake up either and was very tired at work. Do you have any healthy things that you like to treat yourself to? Like a massage or yoga classes or essential oils? Maybe that would give you the pep you need. Or perhaps a new hobby?

The junk food thing... I wouldn't worry about it right now. I try to get some green veggies and a little exercise everyday, but my main priority is staying sober. If I have a craving and I have to eat a little candy, so be it.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
I asked very little of myself, except 100% commitment to sobriety for good.
Yes! Love this