Notices

The healing process

Old 08-02-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The healing process

Long story short I'm not a stranger to drug and alcohol use. But right now the focus for me is healing from a recent stint of alcohol consumption.

This isn't my first time getting sober either. I started drinking again this past December after about 2 - 2.5 years away from it. It started out as a 2-3 shots and before I knew it I was drinking before work, during work, after work, sometimes anywheres between 8 and 12 shots of vodka. After being confronted about my problem at work I began to taper down and got myself down to 1-2 shots so that I could then stop. I was worried about physical withdrawals here.

After tapering down I went on an off drinking a couple times per week, and then taking a few days off etc. The most I've gone is over a week. Today is day 4. No real physical withdrawals as I haven't been drinking heavy every day, but I still don't feel a hundred percent. I've noticed more depression and anxiety since quitting. To manage that I've been utilizing EFT tapping. I also workout and try to do things for myself that make me happy and let me relax. I'm only 22 years old by the way.

So in addition to some depression and anxiety I just don't feel right. Sometimes I feel out of it so to speak. Not drunk out of it but just not thinking clearly, my body doesn't feel right, etc. etc.

I also have this underlying fear of having a problem mentally which I developed the last time I quite drinking. I've been trying to work on that and I've been able to rationalize that there isn't anything wrong with me, I just tend to put all these thoughts in my head which makes me have anxiety about not being normal in the head. I guess what happened is 2.5 years ago when I quite drinking and I read about some people experiencing hallucinations and other psychological withdrawal symptoms I developed a fear of going crazy and sort of latched on to that fear. It didn't help that I was grieving at the time I sort of felt detached from reality as I was sorting through everything. This was 2.5 years ago, but I don't think I ever let go of the fear.

And now that I'm quitting again I have that anxiety back and just don't feel calm and relaxed like I know I should. Sometimes I do when I do certain things, but when I get anxious like this it gets me going and then I worry about having a mental problem , etc. I know it's a fear I need to face and get over otherwise it will continue to haunt me.

On the other hand I'm also grateful because I work, I do things for myself, and I know that this won't destroy me. I just need some input and advice from others who have been down this road.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol takes its toll on the mind and body, but the longer you stay sober the better the mind and body will recover, good luck stick with it and post on here
Old 08-02-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome treeguy

The more years I drank the longer it took me to feel right after a binge. That was regardless whether I'd been taking 'breaks' or not.

Day 4 is great - but it's only day 4. Give your mind & body a chance to heal

as for going crazy - not to be flippant, but you don't sound anymore crazy than the rest of us

Anxiety is a hallmark of most peoples early recovery as well.

If it's been a persistent problem for you, it might be worth considering going back to your Dr about it?

D
Old 08-02-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, Treeguy. I agree that anxiety was definitely a problem in early recovery. I went through many phases as I began to heal - everything got easier & better. Be patient with yourself. You've made a great decision to get free of it.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hi Treeguy. I had some depersonalization issues when I got further along in my recovery and felt like I was going crazy. The first six weeks of recovery I was a zombie. It got better for me but it's scary when it's going on. Hang in there.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Hi Treeguy. I had some depersonalization issues when I got further along in my recovery and felt like I was going crazy. The first six weeks of recovery I was a zombie. It got better for me but it's scary when it's going on. Hang in there.
It's somewhat of a relief to know I am not the only one who has experience that particular symptom. Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Hope things are better.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Appreciate all the replies.