Notices

Cliche alcoholic recovery moment

Old 07-28-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cliche alcoholic recovery moment

You know that plot device which is used in movies, TV series and novels ?
Where a recovering alcoholic finds a bottle of booze he'd stashed and forgotten about and is faced with a choice ?

Happened to me yesterday when I was tidying up...I almost laughed out loud at how corny the situation was. But now I know it really does happen in real life.
The bottle is now in the bin ( trash ) and I wasn't tempted to take a drink. I'm perfectly comfortable in pubs and being around drinkers, but this was the first time I have encountered booze in my home since I have been sober...it's definitely the last too.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you were able to just dump it out...shows that you are making progress for sure.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yah, it's happened to me, too. Mine was a thermos that I had totally forgotten.
Glad you tossed it.
Peace.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found a Gatorade bottle I'd stashed in the trunk of the car-- full of my backup vodka, the one I kept "just in case." Finding it was a symbol of not only my alcoholism, but all the secrets and lies I told--and the lengths I was willing to go to make sure I was never without a drink. Seeing it there, I felt a flash of terrible shame... which I will use to remind myself why I can't go back.

I dumped it out on the lawn and felt super-free afterwards.

Thanks for sharing your "just like the movies" moment... definitely rang true for me!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FindingMyNext View Post
I found a Gatorade bottle I'd stashed in the trunk of the car-- full of my backup vodka, the one I kept "just in case." Finding it was a symbol of not only my alcoholism, but all the secrets and lies I told--and the lengths I was willing to go to make sure I was never without a drink. Seeing it there, I felt a flash of terrible shame... which I will use to remind myself why I can't go back.

I dumped it out on the lawn and felt super-free afterwards.

Thanks for sharing your "just like the movies" moment... definitely rang true for me!
Honest post. Thx. That shame is so powerful...while it lasts. The test for me is yet to come again, when the shame is asleep and I a feeling good and..." Oh...what have we here ...?"

Anyway..thank you for the thread. I find what I need for today.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

I found an almost-full bottle of vodka in my wardrobe while I was cleaning it out one day.
It made me laugh out loud, because I had no memory of putting it there.
I tried to imagine my thought process, "I'll put it up here, on the top shelf where I keep my winter hats and scarves because if someone innocently looks in my wardrobe, I'm the only one who can reach the top shelf. Goodness, I am SO INCREDIBLY CLEVER. Maybe I'll have another little sip before I hide it. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

Although I was so drunk I don't remember hiding the bottle, I'm pretty sure that's EXACTLY how it went down.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Soberado

Never stashed anything still with booze in it, that would never happen with me lol. I did find a stash of empty pint vodka bottles in an empty acoustic guitar case, not really sure what my thoughts were on that one.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me, this moment came shortly after I got home from treatment.

I reached in a drawer and stumbled across some Xanax I had stashed away.

It was like reaching in your sock drawer and pulling out a rattlesnake.

I flushed it down the toilet.

But it was certainly frightening.