Notices

Ready for a change....Not sure i can

Old 07-27-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready for a change....Not sure i can

Hmm... Where to start? I guess first of all let me apologize for all the lack of proper punctuation and grammar that's sure to follow. Waking up at 4 am sore throat feeling bloated with dry mouth again today I have swore to myself that I'm not drinking anymore for the millionth time but this time maybe I will mean it, After all I am almost 32, constantly sad, out of shape, overweight, unemployed waste of space... Im sort of posting this to hold myself accountable for what I might do this evening, that's when I get started usually around 7pm and ill go till 10ish maybe longer if they are really going down good i'll have 8 – 10 beers on average 7 nights a week 365 days a year and I've been going like that for the last 5 years im guessing maybe a little longer..i sit alone in the dark listening to the radio until I reach that perfect state of drunkenness or run out of beer then I come inside and eat double or more what my sober self would then fall asleep, anyway im sick of it I realize its a waste of time, health, money ect. I used to tell myself it was ok because “thats your only hobby” and everyone needs to unwind...but im going to try and make a change...i stopped smoking a year ago cold turkey and haven't even had a puff since and I know im better off for it I just wish kicking the booze came as easily as that...any tips or advice you guys have to added would be appreciated..
Old 07-27-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hangthang View Post
Hmm... Where to start? I guess first of all let me apologize for all the lack of proper punctuation and grammar that's sure to follow. Waking up at 4 am sore throat feeling bloated with dry mouth again today I have swore to myself that I'm not drinking anymore for the millionth time but this time maybe I will mean it, After all I am almost 32, constantly sad, out of shape, overweight, unemployed waste of space... Im sort of posting this to hold myself accountable for what I might do this evening, that's when I get started usually around 7pm and ill go till 10ish maybe longer if they are really going down good i'll have 8 – 10 beers on average 7 nights a week 365 days a year and I've been going like that for the last 5 years im guessing maybe a little longer..i sit alone in the dark listening to the radio until I reach that perfect state of drunkenness or run out of beer then I come inside and eat double or more what my sober self would then fall asleep, anyway im sick of it I realize its a waste of time, health, money ect. I used to tell myself it was ok because “thats your only hobby” and everyone needs to unwind...but im going to try and make a change...i stopped smoking a year ago cold turkey and haven't even had a puff since and I know im better off for it I just wish kicking the booze came as easily as that...any tips or advice you guys have to added would be appreciated..

Well, when I hit 30 is about the time my drinking caught up with me.

It's one thing to wake up hungover at age 21 and another age 30.

By the time I hit 35 I felt continuously burned out.

All I can suggest is perhaps think about AA which is where I got sober.

Can't beat the price and meetings are readily available.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

With that quantity of alcohol over that length of time, I'd seriously consider a visit to your physician for a full physical first and foremost if you haven't had one lately. Be totally honest about how much you drink, even if you find it embarrassing. Start there and let him know exactly how you're feeling and that you want to stop. Best wishes to you.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just an update, been out and about today with the family, this is the time of evening I would usually start drinking, certainty feeling the urge I don't have any beer on hand but did just remember I have 3/4 of a half pint of vodka in the fridge...not my drink of choice but it should pair nicely with some OJ to take the edge off the anxiety of not having beer... and then I wont have any other temptations in the house...not sure what I may do yet
Old 07-27-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's good you posted first. Seems like a cry for help.
I get that struggle. I knew what I *should do. I used to just drink it and open Pandora's box. Start or continue a binge.

This time I didn't do that. I am much better for it. Creeping in on 37 days and very thankful.
Hopefully you'll join...or as I learned, come back here a couple times when you have really had enough. Thankfully all these people are always around wanting to help and support.
GL,
Jules
Old 07-27-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
It's good you posted first. Seems like a cry for help.
I get that struggle. I knew what I *should do. I used to just drink it and open Pandora's box. Start or continue a binge.

This time I didn't do that. I am much better for it. Creeping in on 37 days and very thankful.
Hopefully you'll join...or as I learned, come back here a couple times when you have really had enough. Thankfully all these people are always around wanting to help and support.
GL,
Jules
Congratulations on the 37 days... that seems like an eternity from where I am right now.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hangthang - it's so good to meet you. This is a great place for encouragement. I came here almost 10 yrs. ago, not really expecting to stop completely - but the things I read gave me the courage to reclaim my life.

I was much older than you when I finally became upset about my drinking. At your age I already knew I was in trouble - all the warning signs were there - but I refused to acknowledge them. I was so afraid to let go. I look back now and realize I went through much of my life in a fog. I'd give anything to have a re-do so I could really experience things the way I was meant to. I kept myself from growing & maturing normally. I had originally started drinking to help with anxiety - I'd never intended to become a 24/7 drinker with a ruined life. Being here and speaking freely about my experience has helped me get free. I hope you'll stay with us. You're doing a great thing for yourself.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hangthang - it's so good to meet you. This is a great place for encouragement. I came here almost 10 yrs. ago, not really expecting to stop completely - but the things I read gave me the courage to reclaim my life.

I was much older than you when I finally became upset about my drinking. At your age I already knew I was in trouble - all the warning signs were there - but I refused to acknowledge them. I was so afraid to let go. I look back now and realize I went through much of my life in a fog. I'd give anything to have a re-do so I could really experience things the way I was meant to. I kept myself from growing & maturing normally. I had originally started drinking to help with anxiety - I'd never intended to become a 24/7 drinker with a ruined life. Being here and speaking freely about my experience has helped me get free. I hope you'll stay with us. You're doing a great thing for yourself.
Thanks for the kind words, I do indeed know what you mean about the fog even though I only drink in the evenings I can certainty tell im not as sharp as I once was and my memory is shot, im hoping once I get on the road to sobriety for a while I will regain these things
Old 07-27-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your physical condition is only going to get better. You can do it.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It seemed like an eternity to me as well. Probably everyone who has ever quit. But each day just felt better. I was working a full time job of thinking of drinking, getting alcohol, drinking, drinking, withdrawling...it was exhausting and painful, literally and emotionally. Anguish. It just makes me cringe.
You can do this.
Jules
Old 07-28-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Quick update, I did finish off the vodka that was in the fridge (wasn't much 4oz maybe) didn't get drunk but did have a little buzz, don't feel horribly guilty or anything and now all the alcohol in the house is gone,....going on a day trip today if we end up staying over night I may be tempted to drink rather than sit in the room but I will cross that bridge when I get there, sorry to be using this as a diary but it seems to help if I write it out.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If your goal is to stop drinking, you could make a plan for your trip ahead of time. Alternate activities that don't involve alcohol, attractions and restaurants that don't focus on alcohol, etc. "Crossing that bridge when you get there" is generally not very successful when it comes to addiction.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

.. im going to try and make a change..
You seem to be dragging out the "quitting drinking" part of making a change. Putting down the alcohol is the easiest change to implement, so if you are serious about changing, start there. Then work on the changes that will support a sober life.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, Hangthang

Your profile picture is funny (funny 'cause it's true...), but it reminds me what an addictions counsellor once told me - alcoholism is not like the flu, you won't just wake up one day, fever gone, all better.

I needed to make a commitment to stopping drinking. I needed to take actions to seek recovery.

Waiting to see how it goes is not much different than just waiting for things to get better.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You seem to be dragging out the "quitting drinking" part of making a change. Putting down the alcohol is the easiest change to implement, so if you are serious about changing, start there. Then work on the changes that will support a sober life.
I suppose you are right about the dragging it out, maybe not so much about the putting down the alcohol being easiest, but with that being said I have made a pledge to myself to get threw this day 7/28/17 without buying or drinking any beer. about 6 and 1/2 hours of this day left.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
Welcome, Hangthang

Your profile picture is funny (funny 'cause it's true...), but it reminds me what an addictions counsellor once told me - alcoholism is not like the flu, you won't just wake up one day, fever gone, all better.

I needed to make a commitment to stopping drinking. I needed to take actions to seek recovery.

Waiting to see how it goes is not much different than just waiting for things to get better.

I agree... seems it going to take a lot of effort on my part for sure, just hope I can keep myself motivated
Old 07-28-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree... seems it going to take a lot of effort on my part for sure, just hope I can keep myself motivated
If you need motivation, re-read your first post.
Do you want to be that person forever?
Btw, don't apologise for using the thread as a journal.
Use it whatever way you find helpful.
Good luck.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
If you need motivation, re-read your first post.
Do you want to be that person forever?
Btw, don't apologise for using the thread as a journal.
Use it whatever way you find helpful.
Good luck.
Thanks for that man, your right... I definitely don't want to be this person anymore.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How's it going today ?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It sounds like there are more than one thing you'd like to change, not just quitting drinking and I'd like to say: "You Can Do It"! Because, You CAN do it. If you can quit smoking cold turkey and stay stopped, you can definitely quit drinking. From what I've heard quitting smoking is one of the hardest things for people to do. Also, take a serious look at getting some other hobbies going. You're young with lots of possibilities for your life. Explore your options now.