Notices

Ready for a change....Not sure i can

Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In college, all my friends (myself included) would drink 5 nights or more per week. Many binge drinking nights. Copious amounts of alcohol. After we graduated, a few of us continued the cycle. The trips to the bars and parties decreased, we all had day jobs, but for me I continued to put back beers in the evening. Now, I never missed a day of work as a result of this lifestyle (nor encountered any legal/family problems), but my physical health was clearly deteriorating. I packed on 50 pounds in just about 2 years time.

As an avid weight lifter in high school and college, I decided to get back into shape. I didn't make my lifestyle change about alcohol, per se, but about overall health and well-being. I instituted a strict exercise regimen for after work. I spent an hour lifting weights and then ran 10 miles. Every single night. By the time my workout was done, it was midnight, and I was exhausted. The end result was I drank far less, ate way better, and lost a ton of weight and looked better than I ever had. And that very likely reduced any depression or anxiety that would have otherwise been present had I just sat on the couch counting the beers I did or didn't consume that day.

So for me (and this is only one perspective), it wasn't about just immediately stopping drinking or eliminating something from my life. I allowed myself the freedom to do anything I wanted, but it would have to be after I completed a full day's work, adhered to my diet, and finished my workout routine. There was, by default, a lot less time available to me to engage in unhealthy or risky behaviors. I have an addictive personality, so I've used this approach many times and with many things (smoking, drinking, gambling, farmville, etc. etc)