Notices

What IS the bright side?

Old 07-21-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't automatically 'get happy' when I got sober. It took a while for me to find what happiness was. I started to feel happy when I started to practice gratitude. Gratitude is very nourishing to happiness.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

"However there ARE times where continuing (in the short-term) is a more suitable option, perhaps even the only option".

cue,
i get it. was stuck there or a while.
but it's simply not true.

always other options!

finding them, using them, is one of the very bright sides of sobriety.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I really needed to read this thread. Thank you to everyone who posted as it is giving me hope that my life doesn't have to be this miserable.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Sobriety isn't a light switch turning on a perfect life. As I posted earlier, the real blessing is that by being sober, I can recognize and confront underlying problems that I avoided by being drunk. Drinking allowed me to defer maintenance on my physical and emotional self. That's why people hit rock bottom...they defer their problems until it just can't be avoided any more...just like deferring maintenance on your house until the roof falls in.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
That's why people hit rock bottom...they defer their problems until it just can't be avoided any more...just like deferring maintenance on your house until the roof falls in.
I had the roof fall in before I started drinking too much.
Then of course the whole house collapsed

I might be angry and bitter and sitting in a ruin - but I'm sober, angry, bitter and sitting in a ruin
Old 07-22-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

cue, you still around?
i want to elaborate a bit on my last post, re there alwys being another option.

it's true.
but there were times, many, when i couldn't access them, and even though i knew they had to exist, they didn't exist for me as far as using them.

horrid place. crazymaking.

but you said you drink with choice, so, you see, you have the contradiction of saying sometimes it's the only option, but you drink by choice.

choice implies options.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:04 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I personally think that getting sober gave me the ABILITY to make improvements in other parts of my life. While I was drinking there was no possible chance at all because I literally devoted my entire life to drinking alcohol. It damaged my physical health, my work, my family, pretty much everything in my life was made worse simply because I was drinking alcohol every day, pretty much all day.
Yes! This, exactly. Thanks, Scott, on point as usual!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cue View Post
Hi. Please don't interpret this post to be discouraging or anything like that, it's not meant like that.

I have been, still am, genuinely thinking about this in depth. What is really the good, bright side of being sober? I do of course know that when you drink, it's bad for your health, you might act inappropriately, you might be a danger to others and yourself etc. However, I keep hearing and reading stuff like if you quit drinking your life will turn around, you will be happy. Will you?

My situation at the moment is that I can not drink because of health reasons. It has been about 5 weeks now. I don't feel even a tiny bit "happier". I've temporarily stopped drinking for long periods of time (several months) before this as well, for varying reasons. I'm 100% sure that if quitting truly would have made me happy, I would have stayed sober. But that never happened. To be honest, I personally don't think happiness is even connected to your drinking habits, I know plenty of happy drunks.

A couple of years ago a doctor was trying to push me into some kind of detox thing. I refused. I really, genuinely felt like it would not really solve any of my problems, I would be sober but I would still be my same old miserable self. I feel exactly that way now, I just don't have a choice. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the 'Quit and you will be happy!' thing is a horrible way to market sobriety to people, because it is not true. It doesn't work like that. I do wish I felt something like "yeah, it's all going to work out now" but I don't. At all.

What do you think?
I think it's more about changing the way you think that makes quitting for good so special. It gives you self esteem perhaps of seeking another method to relax into this extremely special event called life. It promotes one to not abuse the body and also encourages others to do the same. The change is gradual but profound
Old 07-23-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Another View Post
It gives you self esteem perhaps of seeking another method to relax into this extremely special event called life.
Agreed. Folks who try to solve every problem (Low self esteem, stress, anxiety, low tolerance for frustration, quickness to anger, need for instant gratification etc) with the same answer (alcohol) often benefit from developing other methods of problem solving that might be lacking from years of underuse. The difficulty is developing these other coping mechanisms. The joy is developing these other coping mechanisms.

The bottom line is avoiding booze at all costs because it no longer works...even if it ever really did.

That's been my experience

P
Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi. Please don't interpret this post to be discouraging or anything like that, it's not meant like that.

I have been, still am, genuinely thinking about this in depth. What is really the good, bright side of being sober? I do of course know that when you drink, it's bad for your health, you might act inappropriately, you might be a danger to others and yourself etc. However, I keep hearing and reading stuff like if you quit drinking your life will turn around, you will be happy. Will you?

My situation at the moment is that I can not drink because of health reasons. It has been about 5 weeks now. I don't feel even a tiny bit "happier". I've temporarily stopped drinking for long periods of time (several months) before this as well, for varying reasons. I'm 100% sure that if quitting truly would have made me happy, I would have stayed sober. But that never happened. To be honest, I personally don't think happiness is even connected to your drinking habits, I know plenty of happy drunks.

A couple of years ago a doctor was trying to push me into some kind of detox thing. I refused. I really, genuinely felt like it would not really solve any of my problems, I would be sober but I would still be my same old miserable self. I feel exactly that way now, I just don't have a choice. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that the 'Quit and you will be happy!' thing is a horrible way to market sobriety to people, because it is not true. It doesn't work like that. I do wish I felt something like "yeah, it's all going to work out now" but I don't. At all.

What do you think?
That's exactly what your AV wants you to think, and it seems like it has you pretty convinced at the moment. That's all an illusion though, because you know deep down there is no happiness in the bottle for you, if there was you almost certainly would not be on this website.

I look at sobriety as a chance for endless possibilities, I can do or be whatever I want. With alcohol, all that is off the table, the spectrum of my life shrinks to nothing.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
I am happier with myself. Not necessarily happier in everyday life because I am sober. I am prouder inside, my great weakness was alcohol. I was ashamed of my weakness. My inability to limit myself. The promises I broke to myself and people who loved me. The shame. The guilt. Those are gone, in their place is a little light, a quiet pride only I know about, and I only mention here. That alone makes me happy. Happier than I was drinking. I did it today, stayed sober. I thank God for that, and I bask a little in that self-glow.
Yessssssssss!!! This is it, precisely, for me. I am new, without the credibility of many of you, but being able to bear my reflection in the mirror (literally and figuratively) brings me pride and a self-glow I have longed for.

It's my belief that life is too long and hard to make "happiness" a goal; the natural ebbs and flows of our lives disqualify happiness as a resting state. Pride in self, though? Doable. And worth the effort. So I will make THAT my goal.

Thank you, all, for such fantastic insight.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I know one thing for sure, I have a lot less problems when sober, which makes me very happy indeed
Old 07-28-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I think Cue has stopped posting, which is a shame.

I don't buy much of the marketing either.
But I don't think happiness has to come into it.
A significant development for children is when they achieve awareness of the grey areas in life. Or the in-betweens. Because, that is real life.
It's not good or bad, happy or sad, bright or dark.
It's just life.
It's a mix of both.
I think addicts have to re-learn this.
So these days, I just aim to be good enough. Ok is fine.
A lot of the time, nice things happen that make me really happy.
Other times, bad things happen.
But mostly, life just happens and I'll enjoy some part of the day and another part will be a chore.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post

A significant development for children is when they achieve awareness of the grey areas in life. Or the in-betweens. Because, that is real life.
It's just life.
It's a mix of both.
But mostly, life just happens and I'll enjoy some part of the day and another part will be a chore.
The part about relearning may be spot on with my own situation, I set such high standards for myself (occupation wise) and when it didn't work out I let it make me feel ashamed and grind me into the ground and instead of trying again I just gave up somewhat... I have often wondered the same thing as the original poster about gaining happiness from sobriety... because the couple hours a night I was soaking down beers I was pretty carefree... but then when I woke up reality was still waiting which was a bummer.. but at least I had the evening to look forward to where I could numb it all again..
Old 07-28-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

It's just life.
It's a mix of both.

Emotional sobriety is the ability to balance the ups and downs in life.
Sometimes when I go to AA meetings I get the feeling members are pretending. That putting on a happy face is required. Yes, meetings aren't group therapy and shouldn't be a dumping ground for whatever is bothering you. On the other hand it isn't healthy to mask your feelings either.

Like life AA meetings usually fall somewhere in the middle. A "gray area" if you will. The same with emotional sobriety.

For me no matter how hard I twist things or bitch I simply can't hide from the fact my life is much better today than when I walked into the rooms of AA for the first time.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

that is real life.
It's just life.
Indeed. As an alcoholic I lived most of my life either in a fantasy world, or in a fantasy of how the world could be...or should be.

Living in reality is a strange kind of blessing...it's exactly where I want to be today, but you never could of sold it to me when I first tried to get sober

For some reason I want to crowbar a Reckless Eric quote in there...the fantasy life...I'd go the whole wide world...go the whole wide world just to find it And I pretty much did

P
Old 07-29-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulokes View Post
I'd go the whole wide world...go the whole wide world just to find it

P
I love that song

This has been an interesting thread. I've also been wary of the 'hey, sobriety is completely awesome, everything is great' thing. Thankfully I haven't seen any of that here.

Sobriety isn't awesome because life isn't awesome. But it's way better dealing with it sober, that way you have a fighting chance. Drunk you have no hope.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

It's probably also safe to assume that a month or two (or even my longest, 6 months) is not long enough to notice or realize the more profound benefits. What's most interesting to me are the experiences of people who have been sober for much longer than I ever have, which would be on the order of years, not months. They are the ones who know what the REAL, long-term benefits are and some of that information has already been shared here. Thank you guys for that.
I think you owe it to yourself to give it more time. YEARS. We have only one life that I'm aware of and Im not going to spend it all on getting high (20 yrs was roughly enough). So, in order for me to see the full benefit I need to be all in. Why not give it a try? You have nothing to loose.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
I really needed to read this thread. Thank you to everyone who posted as it is giving me hope that my life doesn't have to be this miserable.
You and me both, my friend. I was feeling pretty desperate when I logged in but already two threads have given me hope that I'm not failing as much as I thought I was, and that things WILL get better.
Hope you're doing OK newhope? Sending love and strength your way.