Notices

Back Again

Old 07-18-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again

Hi guys,

I've failed again. Been drinking every day for the past 3 weeks. I need to quit again. This will be the fourth time I think that I've tried.

The thing that always gets me is this:

"I've quit for X weeks. I've proven I'm not an alcoholic, so I can start having a couple of drinks here and there".

But then that leads back to my "normal" level of drinking after only a couple of days.

I need to get better and I need to suppress that voice that says that moderation is ok. It doesn't work for me.

Anyone else been through the same cycle? I'm sure there's a lot... How did you break the cycle?

Cooper
Old 07-18-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Coopertemple View Post
I need to get better and I need to suppress that voice that says that moderation is ok. It doesn't work for me.
You can't always suppress the voice, but you don't have to do what it says.

Research AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Techniques)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

BTDT, it's a slippery slope that always led me back into a full blown relapse.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Coopertemple View Post
Hi guys,

I've failed again. Been drinking every day for the past 3 weeks. I need to quit again. This will be the fourth time I think that I've tried.

The thing that always gets me is this:

"I've quit for X weeks. I've proven I'm not an alcoholic, so I can start having a couple of drinks here and there".

But then that leads back to my "normal" level of drinking after only a couple of days.

Anyone else been through the same cycle? I'm sure there's a lot... How did you break the cycle?

Cooper
Yea, my rememberer was broken too. I think of this from the book Alcoholics Anonymous; The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.

Listening to others who share theirs ESH here and in the rooms reminds me daily of my illness. Today if I drink it is with full knowledge of it can kill me. We see it every day...........

The struggle for me continued until I accepted I could not drink like a normal person, ever.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI CooperTemple

posting here regularly (daily or more) helped break that cycle for me - whether I was posting about myself, or posting to help others, it reinforced to me that I did have a problem and that I needed to make changes and do something about it.

Have you checked out the Class of July support thread? great support there, & all you need to do to join is post in it

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-2.html

D
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Soberado

Been in your shoes more than I can count, quit for X and then start back up 10X. The thing/concept/realization/theory that helped me break the cycle was that people like us cannot moderate our drinking-----period.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you back, Cooper. Been there many times over my 30 year drinking career. Once I admitted there would never be any control I was able to let go of it. It took me quite a few tries to acknowledge that willpower would never help me be a social drinker. One drop and I was off to parts unknown. Danger was always lurking in the wings. In the end, it was such a relief to get free of it. You can do it.