Notices

Day 31 - PAWS

Old 07-26-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 31 - PAWS

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 34 year old guy from Southern California.

I'm on day 31 of my quit and it appears that PAWS has reared its face. I feel completely out of it. Foggy, confused, uncoordinated, irritable, anxious, etc. It sucks. Been like this for a couple of days.

I'm holding hope that it will disappear just as quickly as it appeared. Days 10-27 or so were MUCH better than how I am, here on day 31.

I'm just happy to be back after 12+ years of heavy daily drinking. This sucks, but being drunk would suck much more.

Thanks,

T
Old 07-26-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never reached Day 31 so can't offer you any advice there but just wanted to say Well done on this achievement and hope you feel better soon X
Old 07-26-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susiegirl View Post
I've never reached Day 31 so can't offer you any advice there but just wanted to say Well done on this achievement and hope you feel better soon X
You've got this Susie!

What I've essentially done is try to create a negative image/relationship of and with alcohol.

When you look at a bottle of bleach, you know that if you drink it, you'll become ill ... very sick. And you WON'T like how you feel.

When I look at beer now, I think to myself -- if I drink that, it will make me sick. I won't like how I feel. And because of that, I don't want to drink that beer.

It's working -- I look at alcohol in a completely different way now. If I'm certain that it will cause me harm, why would I drink the 'bleach'?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CansOfOld View Post
You've got this Susie!

What I've essentially done is try to create a negative image/relationship of and with alcohol.

When you look at a bottle of bleach, you know that if you drink it, you'll become ill ... very sick. And you WON'T like how you feel.

When I look at beer now, I think to myself -- if I drink that, it will make me sick. I won't like how I feel. And because of that, I don't want to drink that beer.

It's working -- I look at alcohol in a completely different way now. I'm certain that it will do me no good -- so why would I drink the bleach?
Thanks Cans - I will certainly give this a go. Its poisoning my life so I will definitely look at it as a bottle of poison - thanks for the advice X
Old 07-26-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 31 Cans, you can start counting in months now! Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well though.

"PAWS" is a bit of a can of worms. It really isn't a diagnnosable condition either from a medical or psychiactric standpoint. It's basically kind of a "catch-all" for a host of unexplained symptoms addicts get after withdrawals are done. There also seems to be no rhyme or reason for why some people experience it while others don't, nor why it just kind of randomly appears.

My best suggestion would be to try and work on/improve the specific issues you might be having. Anxiety can have lots of causes and sometimes simply taking a walk or having a cup of tea or something like that can really help. You also might be tired and need more sleep, i get a lot of those symptoms when I am not getting enough.

If you haven't seen a doctor since you quit it might not be a bad idea to get a standard physical/bloodwork too - you never know if there is a diet or lifestyle change that you might be able to make to help improve things.

Regardless, hope things get better soon - and they usually do!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job Cans.
My suggestion would be to say, "I'm having a bad morning/evening/whatever but it doesn't mean my whole day has to be this way".
Basically, don't write off a whole day based on how you feel right now.
Try not to jump ahead as this really creates anxiety.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on day 31 Cans, you can ...
...If you haven't seen a doctor since you quit it might not be a bad idea to get a standard physical/bloodwork too - you never know if there is a diet or lifestyle change that you might be able to make to help improve things.

Regardless, hope things get better soon - and they usually do!
Thanks Scott -- maybe I'll go for a run.

I have been working with my doctor and just recently had more blood work done (to see how things have changed since I stopped drinking).

It was great news -- my liver numbers dropped dramatically (they were high-normal before and are now normal) and my cholesterol absolutely plummeted (even he was shocked by what he saw).
Old 07-26-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 but I remember PAWS from my last quit (or do I). Now that I think about it, I only remember the name.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I'm with you tonight with paws Susie on eve of 4 months. I'm just playing it forward as to what it would be like & how hard it is to stop each time. Thanks for reminding me I'm not alone in this, we've got this. Congratulations on 31 days.....huge accomplishment!
Old 07-26-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redcardid View Post
I'm on day 2 but I remember PAWS from my last quit (or do I). Now that I think about it, I only remember the name.
I guess getting to the PAWS stage is a positive thing because it means you've made it a ways.

Just keep truckin'!
Old 07-26-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Feelings aren't facts: they change.

Get busy doing something (I bet you have at least a small list of Things I've Avoided While Drinking ) and try not to think.

You're healing from years of numbing abuse. Know you are getting more sober every day!!!

Congrats on your first month!!!