Notices

I want to ask all of you...........

Old 10-21-2004, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to ask all of you...........

I have been to the al-anon boards but I just wanted to ask you all a question about marijuanna. My husband has been dry, for about 1-1/2 years. He recently took up smoking pot. He does it about 3-4 times a week, only at home, and he only hits it about twice. He says it just relaxes him - and it does calm him down as he is somewhat a hyper person. I just wanted to know what you all thought of this. I know it is not good. Can he become addicted to this as well? Otherwise, things have been going pretty good. Alot better without the drinking. I was just not sure what to think.......Thanks!!! Lolobug
Old 10-21-2004, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

In my circles it's called marijuana maintenance, essentially switching one addiction for another. I nearly went there as well, but sponce conviced me otherwise. Yes, it can be addicting. He has to decide for himself as you know, however, addiction is addiction, and when forgoing one for the other, a lot go back to the other.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello--Laura, here, recovering alkie/pothead. I tried the marijuana maintenence thing the first time I tried to get sober. Eventually, it led me back to drinking, and I won't make the same mistake again. Some people can do it, but for me, it is much simpler knowing I am just not going to do anything! I am living life on life's terms, not mine.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, you can become mentally addicted to marijuana. I've smoked for years and know that I'm addicted but it makes me feel like .As long as he takes a couple hits at night and still gets up for work, etc. I don't see a problem. However, marijuana gets you less stoned the more you use, and he might really want a beer or two to get a better buzz in the future.

I'm on the marijuana maintenance program right now and it's been very helpful.
I used to average 15 light beers a day.
I'm down to 4.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My own experience was that marijuana increased my desire for alcohol. So smoking pot may undermine his commitment to abstinence from alcohol. He also may find that he wants to smoke more at a time, or more often. Those would be signs that the behavior may be becoming a problem.

Don S
Old 10-21-2004, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lolobug
I quit alcohol in 1996. Picked up marijuana use in 2000. Had to go to detox and rehab treatment for marijuana use in 2003. It is a dependancy for us addicts. The ol' switcheroony didn't work for me, but at least I eventually sought the help I needed.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. He says he would never want the taste of alcohol and it's effects again. He did go for about a year without anything and then to the pot thing. Who knows but him of course. It doesn't interfere with anything and he does go for days without it. Oh well. On to the day ahead........thanks again. Lolobug
Old 10-23-2004, 12:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Extremity

Some other things about mary:

Pot comes in many different strengths and in fact was first legislated as illegal because the lawmakers couldn't predict content per volume for taxation purposes.

So the rate of how many times and how much he does can't be counted on.

Next, since pot is no longer a cash crop for most dealers as its value is mostly outweighed by the risk, it is more and more often laced with other drugs unknown to the buyer.
The idea is to use it as the gateway drug to the ones the black market really wants you buy.
Chemicals are cheap and the profit margin is greater than the risk factor for them.

He would have to grow it himself to be sure of anything being completely natural.
Which is a risk for him and you and not really worth it.
Remember that it is still illegal by federal standards and everything you own can be seized at their (DEA) discretion.

If he is having some other stress or anxiety problems he may want to talk to the doctor for something safe and legal to help him through.

Be Careful ~ Be Well.