Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The tough part for me is admitting that I have a problem

Notices

The tough part for me is admitting that I have a problem

Old 08-10-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobLobLaw View Post
So, after two weeks sober, I came to the rationalization that an alcoholic couldn't actually go two weeks without drinking. Maybe I'd be OK to just drink on the weekends. Right?
an alcoholic who stopped drinking but still has untreated alcoholism?
cant go two weeks without drinking.

an alcoholic that started treating the underlying issues that alcohol was a symptom of?
can stay sober many,many one day at a times.
ive heard upwards of 60 years worth of one day at a times even.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey BobLaw
I'm still going strong at d8 right now. It helped that on Friday I worked a 28 hour shift and then spent the whole weekend with my girlfriend so I didn't have any temptation to drink. Although watching GoT last night I usually have a beer or two so that was hard to resist but I managed. My head is clear and I can think so much better which in medicine is essential, even as a med student.

I hope you're still doing okay and managing yourself. It's been one day at a time for me and onto d8 right now
Old 06-29-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Resurrecting an old thread. Same me - same story. Much much later.

Really sad to think that I'd be going on a year of sobriety had I stuck with my commitment from last July when I started. I've spent the last several months trying my best to moderate my drinking. Trying to just drink on weekends like normal people.

That worked fine for awhile - but then Fri and Sat wasnt' enough. My weekends began starting on Thursday. Then, I'd have a bit of alcohol left over on Sunday. Not enough for a good binge - so I'd buy more. I'd usually end up with enough for Monday night too.

So my weekend of drinking usually ended up Thursday through Monday - usually taking Tues and Wednesday off. And those two nights? I was miserable every week. And honestly - the only nights I wasn't miserable were probably the first and second nights of the week that I drank. So Thursday and Friday nights were pretty OK. Sat, Sun, Mon nights, I'd pass out and come to after 4 or 5 hours. Tues and Wed nights were miserable, cold sweats and no sleeping.

Why did it take so long to finally admit that my attempts at moderation simply were not working?

So here I am. I'm at a solid day 5. Last night I slept so so so nice! I read my book for an hour before bed and had a great, and restful 7 hours of sleep. I woke up this morning feeling really good.

I'm not going back. I know that even if I'm good about moderation for a few weeks - it'll end up in misery.

Looking forward to day 6.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Grateful

Glad you made it back reasonably unscathed Bob. So what's your plan to stay sober this time?
Old 06-29-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I made a big change to my plan this time.

My first step was admitting my problem to myself and admitting it anonymously to the fine folks here at SR. But, that obviously wasn't enough.

I finally summoned the courage to talk to my wife about my concerns and told her I was quitting drinking all together as well. We've made a pact to get healthier together. She rarely drinks - probably 2 or 3 times a year and in moderation. But she wants to start eating better and exercising more.

So, we're both working toward better health - just in different ways.

I tried for years to quit smoking, but it wasn't until my wife and I decided to quit together that I actually succeeded. That was in 2008 and we've both been smoke free ever since.

I was really close to quitting last time. Now that I have real live support, it should be the extra nudge that I need.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
nez

So my weekend of drinking usually ended up Thursday through Monday - usually taking Tues and Wednesday off. And those two nights? I was miserable every week. And honestly - the only nights I wasn't miserable were probably the first and second nights of the week that I drank. So Thursday and Friday nights were pretty OK. Sat, Sun, Mon nights, I'd pass out and come to after 4 or 5 hours. Tues and Wed nights were miserable, cold sweats and no sleeping.
Been there. Done that. Bought the tee shirt. I tried many attempts and methods at moderating, every single time the results were the same. Misery. The time period between my moderation method of the moment keep getting shorter and shorter. :~)

Best thing that could have ever happen to me. Brought me face to face with the fact that I could not control my drinking, which led me to discover that a life without drinking was not a death sentence of no fun, boredom, and being a social pariah.

Actually the complete opposite is proving to be true as sobriety has exceeded anything my wildest imagination could conjure up! I have 15 years and can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings!
Old 06-30-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Bob

I joined SR in November 2014. I quit for 8 days. I was really unprepared for what I needed to do to achieve sobriety.

I came back in December 2015. In that year or so, my drinking got heavier, my health deteriorated to a hair's breadth from physical dependency, I was anxious and depressed and paranoid. I was still functioning but barely.

When I came back, I used every resource at my disposal. That included: seeing my doctor, getting regular counselling, telling my family I was quitting (for accountability & support), writing down a detailed recovery plan, changing my routine to avoid triggers and coming onto SR every day. I dedicated every ounce of my willpower and discipline to it.

I've passed the 30 month mark of sobriety with that approach.

I'm a runner too. My running times came down markedly after I quit drinking. If you are a runner, it's a great way to support sobriety. I absolutely understand what you say about the meditative part of running. I go to a place in my mind when I run, it's so peaceful and familiar, and it's mental and physical and spiritual all the same time - drinking never comes close to that feeling.

I enjoyed reading your story and look forward to reading more of your journey.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:24 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Resurrecting an old thread. Same me - same story. Much much later.

Really sad to think that I'd be going on a year of sobriety had I stuck with my commitment from last July when I started. I've spent the last several months trying my best to moderate my drinking. Trying to just drink on weekends like normal people.

That worked fine for awhile - but then Fri and Sat wasnt' enough. My weekends began starting on Thursday. Then, I'd have a bit of alcohol left over on Sunday. Not enough for a good binge - so I'd buy more. I'd usually end up with enough for Monday night too.

Why did it take so long to finally admit that my attempts at moderation simply were not working?

So here I am. I'm at a solid day 5. Last night I slept so so so nice! I read my book for an hour before bed and had a great, and restful 7 hours of sleep. I woke up this morning feeling really good.

I'm not going back. I know that even if I'm good about moderation for a few weeks - it'll end up in misery.

Looking forward to day 6.

I could ask the same thing of myself: Why did it take so long to realize I can't drink like most people?

For me the answer is fairly simply: Because I could get away with it.

It wasn't until my life had become so screwed up a that I began to consider attending an AA meeting.

If I thought I could have continued to drink like I wanted without the on-going problems associated with boozing I would have.

I was a functioning alcoholic for a solid ten years but when I reached the age of 35 this was no longer the case. I had crossed a line by then and my life was coming in for a crash landing.

Fortunately, I found AA and was ready to consider life without the bottle. Which was a hard concept to fathom. Total abstinence?
Let's just stick to one day at a time.

Ultimately what I have learned in sobriety is life is much less difficult without the ongoing problems/drama associated with alcoholic drinking.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Been there. Done that. Bought the tee shirt. I tried many attempts and methods at moderating, every single time the results were the same. Misery. The time period between my moderation method of the moment keep getting shorter and shorter. :~)

Best thing that could have ever happen to me. Brought me face to face with the fact that I could not control my drinking, which led me to discover that a life without drinking was not a death sentence of no fun, boredom, and being a social pariah.

Actually the complete opposite is proving to be true as sobriety has exceeded anything my wildest imagination could conjure up! I have 15 years and can hardly wait to see what tomorrow brings!
Yup - that's where I'm at now. 8 days sober and feeling like a normal human being again. And normal people can drink in moderation, right? Well, I know I'm not "normal". Alcohol is never going to be an option for me. I've learned that lesson.

I had a great weekend with my family. Waking up on Sat's and Sun's used to mean several hours in a fog, trying to muster the energy to do anything with the kids. This weekend was great. We spent Saturday at the lake and Sunday we played at parks and got to see a circus. And although it was kinda uncomfortable with the outside heat - at least I wasn't dehyrated and hungover on top of that!

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Hi Bob

I joined SR in November 2014. I quit for 8 days. I was really unprepared for what I needed to do to achieve sobriety.

I came back in December 2015. In that year or so, my drinking got heavier, my health deteriorated to a hair's breadth from physical dependency, I was anxious and depressed and paranoid. I was still functioning but barely.

When I came back, I used every resource at my disposal. That included: seeing my doctor, getting regular counselling, telling my family I was quitting (for accountability & support), writing down a detailed recovery plan, changing my routine to avoid triggers and coming onto SR every day. I dedicated every ounce of my willpower and discipline to it.

I've passed the 30 month mark of sobriety with that approach.

I'm a runner too. My running times came down markedly after I quit drinking. If you are a runner, it's a great way to support sobriety. I absolutely understand what you say about the meditative part of running. I go to a place in my mind when I run, it's so peaceful and familiar, and it's mental and physical and spiritual all the same time - drinking never comes close to that feeling.

I enjoyed reading your story and look forward to reading more of your journey.
Great work on 30 months!

Running is a great way to just get away have time just inside your own head. It's a challenge for me to get up an hour earlier to get my run in before work, but it's always worth it.

I've been running regularly for the last few years, but it was so counterproductive to drink and run. The "runner's high" is so much better when you get done with a run while completely sober and not hungover.

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post

Ultimately what I have learned in sobriety is life is much less difficult without the ongoing problems/drama associated with alcoholic drinking.
This is so true! The hoops I'd jump through to sneak out and get alcohol. The stupid things I'd do to hide booze and hide my drinking? And for what? Poisoning myself and wasting money? Ruining my quality of life and relationships with my family?

It is so much easier to just not do any of that. It's amazing the mental gymnastics I'd do to justify my actions. There is no justification - and life is easier when you accept that.

Day 8 for this guy. Looking forward to a sober week 2.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 8 for this guy. Looking forward to a sober week 2.
You're doing great Bob!

Yep, runner's high is clean and pure when you're not drinking. The body processes alcohol first before it gets to any other energy source (since alcohol is a poison and must be eliminated asap). Running after a big night on the booze means your liver is working extra hard, you are utilising the worst stuff to fuel your run and you are not burning the fat cells you could be, which BTW is accumulating nicely in your liver.

Enjoy sober week 2.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back! It took several attempts and some drunken chaos for me to completely take drinking off the table no matter what. Life is life and will always happen,but when it does it's way easier to manage without alcohol and the madness that comes with it.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
You're doing great Bob!

Yep, runner's high is clean and pure when you're not drinking. The body processes alcohol first before it gets to any other energy source (since alcohol is a poison and must be eliminated asap). Running after a big night on the booze means your liver is working extra hard, you are utilising the worst stuff to fuel your run and you are not burning the fat cells you could be, which BTW is accumulating nicely in your liver.

Enjoy sober week 2.
It is so much nicer running in the morning when you wake up clear headed and well rested. I had a nice 3 miles this morning.

I've been wearing a fitbit for the last year or so. It's really amazing to see how my resting heart rate is directly affected by alcohol. If I drink, it goes up - if I don't, it goes down. I have a pretty accurate log of every night I've drank for the last year just by looking at my heart rate.

The really cool thing? Since I quite drinking it went on a steady decline. Starting at 60 BPM, and it looks like it's leveled off at 46.

Resting heart rate without alcohol https://imgur.com/gallery/j7NC2eN

And my blood pressure is also directly related. I need to check that and see where I'm at - but I know it gets dangerously high when I'm habitually drinking.