Notices

withdrawal symptoms?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

withdrawal symptoms?

Just to start im not looking for medical advice, just advice. I am seeing my doctor this week.

So for the last two years or so I have been drinking rather heavily. It started off as just 3 nights a week having maybe 2 bottles of wine a night. Now i am at the point where im drinking up to a bottle of vodka straight 2 or 3 nights a week and about 1-2 bottles of wine on my "hungover days".

Lately when im hungover i have been experiencing muscle spasms in my sleep where my head will jerk a couple times on the pillow and my arms and legs jerk or tense up. Im quite concerned that this may be withdrawal seizures, but i dont know because i've never actually experienced a seizure before. They only last about 5 to 10 seconds.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to get a referral from my doctor for detox, just looking for other peoples experience.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Car93, glad you have made the choice to quit and I think seeing your doc is a great first step. Regarding the symptoms, you really need to speak with a doc about them. There really is no "normal" when it comes to withdrawal - and while the spasms you are having could be related to quitting, they also might not be. It would be irresponsible for us to tell you one way or the other for your safety.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I experienced all kinds of weird symptoms while detoxing. At the end, I couldn't handle it and I would end up in the hospital or at a detox facility after every binge.

I can't go back to that state. The solution for me is 100% abstinence from alcohol.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you are seeing your doc. The only way to get better for real is to stop putting alcohol into your body, and for me I can say that the recovery/detox/symptoms process took a good bit of time. I was very sick. It is different for everyone but spasms, night sweats, all kinds of things can be common.

Be honest with your doc- you can make this your last quit.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptoms, while caused by the same thing, vary wildly.
That's a serious amount of booze you are putting away- I really hope you tell the doc the true extent of your drinking. I only say that because strangely, some people tend to dilute (excuse the pun) the facts.

Best of luck, and if things get out of hand, you might consider going to the hospital if you feel you can't wait for your appointment.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

Not trying to scare you, just relating my experience. I would highly suggest getting a medical opinion and not going solo on cold turkey.

Seizures from acute alcohol withdrawal are nothing to play around with. I had one and almost impaled myself through my eye socket on a wrought iron fence. Got an ambulance ride to ER, IV's in the arms, the whole bit.

Luckily my wife (an ER nurse) was with me at the time. I was trying to walk off the jitters when all of a sudden, out of the blue, no warning, no nothing, down I went. I have since learned that the seizure could have killed me if I hadn't received immediate help.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
Not trying to scare you, just relating my experience. I would highly suggest getting a medical opinion and not going solo on cold turkey.

Seizures from acute alcohol withdrawal are nothing to play around with. I had one and almost impaled myself through my eye socket on a wrought iron fence. Got an ambulance ride to ER, IV's in the arms, the whole bit.

Luckily my wife (an ER nurse) was with me at the time. I was trying to walk off the jitters when all of a sudden, out of the blue, no warning, no nothing, down I went. I have since learned that the seizure could have killed me if I hadn't received immediate help.
I used to do that too. Try to walk off the jitters.
But I could never do it. I always ended up at the hospital. Luckily I never had a seizure, but I am certain I was close.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Car93 View Post
Lately when im hungover i have been experiencing muscle spasms in my sleep where my head will jerk a couple times on the pillow and my arms and legs jerk or tense up. Im quite concerned that this may be withdrawal seizures, but i dont know because i've never actually experienced a seizure before. They only last about 5 to 10 seconds.
Hi Car93. I don't have a medical background, and couldn't give advice here even if I did. But I DID have withdrawal seizures on two separate occasions, and it doesn't sound like your experience really reflects mine. Both times I had seizures, I bit my tongue HARD, which caused me pain & difficulty eating & speaking for several days afterward. I also went totally unconscious both times. These are both typical modalities for withdrawal seizures. Sorry...after typing this all out, I realized it probably wasn't very helpful.

But at the end of the day, I don't think it really matters though...you've obviously concluded that you have a problem and it's great that your taking control of the situation and getting medical help! Best of luck to you!
Old 07-09-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Car
I'm glad you joined us.

I hope you'll see your doctor - it's the only way to get real peace of mind.

I suffer intermittently from restless legs and hypnic jerks - not sure if thats the same as what you're writing about or not.

D