Notices

Ridiculous Reasons to Drink

Old 07-08-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Ridiculous Reasons to Drink

Anyone care to share the most ridiculous BS reasons your addiction (aka AV) has come up with to justify drinking?

Mine would have to be "You should drink to make that person feel guilty because they upset you."

Oh yeah, great plan.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my response to your other thread about fear of abandonment, I failed to pick up on the obvious, which is that you're undergoing a personal situation here. Feel free to share more about it.

Drinking to make someone feel guilty about upsetting you -- that is pure 200-proof AV stuff right there!

I'm not in AA, but I like their trick for dealing with someone you perceive has harmed you -- something like wishing for them all the happiness you feel their behavior has denied you? Can't quite recall how it goes, but it's in that forgiveness vein, and I've found it helps defuse my hurt feelings and keeps the AV down to a dull roar.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Andante, yeah I'm going through a bit of a challenge right now, but it's really not a bad thing. It's just change. My AV loves change.

I've heard the phrase "drinking AT someone." That's exactly it. Not sure if I heard that in AA or somewhere else.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Anything and everything I have ever contemplated as a reason is the most ridiculous "reason". Any reason in the world is absolutely ridiculous, cause alcohol and I have a bad reaction, that cannot be fixed.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The only reason I needed to drink was being awake. I also just answered this question in your other thread.....your AV is hard at work today, glad you recognize that.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Before I quit I pretty much found any reason to drink. I was an episodic binge drinker, so I didn't drink every night, but a few times I believed a night of heavy drinking would make me more productive at work the next day. I have no idea how that made any sense at all. I threw away a lot of productive time at work either missing it completely to being really sick, or just mildly hungover unable to focus most of the day.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to drink to forget the stuff I did or said during my last drinking binge ^_^
Old 07-10-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's morning, it's night, it's cold out, it's hot out, i'm in a good mood, i'm in a bad mood, it's raining, it's sunny, it's monday, it's friday, ... to us drunks, literally everything in the world is an "excuse" to drink.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love how fun I am when I drink. It's a really good time to all involved with the party me. But then when the party is over I'm left with the God awful hangovers and regrets regrets regrets...
Old 07-10-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
I've heard the phrase "drinking AT someone." That's exactly it. Not sure if I heard that in AA or somewhere else.
IDK if that's AA or not, but it sure was ME!
If I was upset with someone I'd Self-righteously Drink At them, that'd show 'em!

Never seemed to work the way I thought it should - maybe cuz the person I was drinking at never knew . . . ?
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by darkling View Post
IDK if that's AA or not, but it sure was ME!
If I was upset with someone I'd Self-righteously Drink At them, that'd show 'em!

Never seemed to work the way I thought it should - maybe cuz the person I was drinking at never knew . . . ?
Yes, so true. And yet we were so sure it was going to work. It made perfect sense in our minds. It just made no sense whatsoever in reality.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I once had seven months sober and was doing my laundry. There was a beer store behind the Laundromat. That was all the reason I needed. Another five years of misery.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I once had seven months sober and was doing my laundry. There was a beer store behind the Laundromat. That was all the reason I needed. Another five years of misery.
I once went into a pub and drank because it had an open fire.
"Weeeeeelll, who'd hold it against you on a winter's night like this?".
Thing was, I got out of my warm car to go into the warm pub because it was cold outside.
Sound logic, eh?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Once I entered recovery via a 28 day
rehab thru family intervention and
was taught about my addiction and
how it affected my mind, body and soul
as well as those around me, admitting,
and accepting that I was powerless
over it, then replacing my addiction
with a healthier, effective solution,
a program of recovery, then I had and
still have no reason, no excuses to
pick up a controlling, dangerous
substance that could and would destroy
me again.

26 yrs of listening, learning, absorbing,
applying a program of recovery taught
to me by those knowledgeable about
addiction many one days sober ago has
kept me alive and has given me a purpose
and meaning to continue on my recovery
journey still to this day.

There is NO ridiculous reason to
pick up my addiction and have
my misery refunded today.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

A friend once posted a picture on Facebook of him with a beer. I immediately thought "what if I visit this guy and he wants to go for a beer? I'll need to be able to drink with him." So I drank again. The ridiculous thing is that I had not seen this guy in 14 years and had only been to the city he lives in once in 48 years of life.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Generally speaking I drank to reward myself for a hard days work or for achieving something. The fact that then made me miserable and I continually did it, even knowing it wasn't a good thing is what puzzles me with my behaviour.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

i got some dumb ones i'm entertaining these days. relapse why? why not everyone else does i might as well go on a 2 week bender or something.

and on your fear of abandonment sorta anyhow.
I'm also tossing around the idea as a cry for help? IE i feel like otheres in my life dont quite understand the burden i'm trying to shoulder and I feel like if i just fell apart and they had to pick up the slack they'd suddenly understand and maybe i'd get some real help?

I also realize that in both these cases its just this sick thing inside of me that just constantly wants to cause nothing but self destruction. I"m pretty sure i've beaten that thought pattern but i've had these 2 stupid ideas floating around for a little while now.

in my active drinkign days tho it was just this cycle of perpetual self destruction in just about any way that i could do so. i was liek hard wired to do that. somehow i fixed all that tho.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

People on tv are doing it 😂😂😂
Old 07-11-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A really dumb one that occurs to me sometimes: It's such a nice evening, a glass of wine would be perfect! As if a beautiful evening needs wine to perfect it!!!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by applewakesup View Post
A really dumb one that occurs to me sometimes: It's such a nice evening, a glass of wine would be perfect! As if a beautiful evening needs wine to perfect it!!!
Yeah, in reality it's more like "it's such a nice evening, I think I'll get so wasted I won't even remember it."