Notices

Recommendations for help (day 1)

Old 07-07-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recommendations for help (day 1)

Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any helpful resources or places to turn to for help in not drinking? I'm on my first day of not drinking and I'm already panicking about what I'm gonna do later tonight. The AA is not an option for me as I'm really not religious and don't find it very helpful.

Thank you.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Get out for a walk (and not to the shop). Sometimes that's all you need. Or contact a friend for a chat on the phone - that craving will pass X
Old 07-07-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you have any non-drinking friends you could invite to a movie? Or just a friend who could go an evening without drinking.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Woo24 View Post
The AA is not an option for me as I'm really not religious and don't find it very helpful.
You've been to how many AA meetings? Read the Big Book of AA how many times?

That said, here's a link to a helpful post:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 07-07-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Woo24. You'll find a lot of options for support here - the forums, the chatroom and the sticky's that have a lot of useful information. A couple of threads in particular you might want to read:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Regarding local recovery meetings, don't rule them out either. I am not a religious person either but found AA to be very helpful early on. You don't need to be of any specific religion to benefit from the fellowship and support of those at the meetings. The big book is a good read as well and is freely available online.

You could also check to see if there are other recovery meetings like Smart, Life Ring, Celebrate Recovery, etc in your area. There is also the Samaritans hotline that has info on lots of other recovery resources. Your doctor/a doctor is also a resource you can get help from to check on your physical health.

Bottom line, there's a ton of help out there...and we hope you can stick around SR too!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don't have to be religious to be in AA. You need in person support for ALCOHOLISM right now, and AA offers that. Religious beliefs are really besides the point. For now. Work on getting sober and then there are secular versions of the steps.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My suggestion would be to get rid of the except, as in I will do anything except that. Why, because that might be the only thing that will get you sober. Try to keep an open mind.

Having said that, I couldn't take my own advice. I tried every other option I could find that would allow me to have recovery on my terms. I failed miserably, and wound up in a place where I would do anything, no exceptions, to get rid of the misery that is end stage alcoholism. And the thing that I thought would never work for me has been working very well indeed. It has been many years since I needed or wanted a drink.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Soberado

I stayed in bed for a couple of days early on, drank a lot of water and munched on snacks.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't write off AA before even trying it. Hit up a meeting tonight and see how it goes. You might be surprised.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang out here. There's also a chat room here, and many other chat rooms around if you look.

You say you're worried about tonight, so that's the time to plan for - can you do something completely different? If you come home from work, change up your schedule, stay late or leave early, take a different route home, go straight to a movie or a mall, basically just completely change up your pattern so you don't feel triggered doing the same thing you did last Friday night, but just without alcohol.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Re: Recommendations for Help

There’s a multitude of options to choose from, whether it’s secular organizations like SMART, Rational Recovery, Life Ring, Save our Selves. Etc, to the plethora of online forums (like this one) or even self-help groups that specialize in behavior control, not to mention the non-religious alternatives like Pagans in Recovery; you should have no trouble finding an alternative that can suit your needs.

Yes, some people still consider AA as the go-to source for alcoholics in recovery, but that is not entirely true. AA has worked for the majority of alcoholics worldwide, including yours truly, but to frame as an ‘end all for everything’ would be counter-intuitive if you ask me.

Just ask the multitude of recovering alkies in the world today and chances are they will give you a whole list of options that worked well for them, including the ones mentioned earlier. Our only wish is that you give recovery an honest try. Where the journey takes you is still a mystery, but the journey must start somewhere. I hope it starts today. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

get a couple sets of handcuffs. cuff yourself to your bed. Sleep as much as possible, read a book (AA big book is a good one). Stay on here as much as possible and turn off your phone unless its to call a sober person for support. First 72 hours is rough because your body is still physically dependent on booze and withdrawals start. If you have a hint that you should go to a doctor call 911. Withdraws from booze can be fatal. You have a purpose and we need you sober to realize that purpose. Good luck and congrats on committing to day 1.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. Trying my best to stay distracted. Struggling at the moment but focusing on trying some of these things you've mentioned. Bit shaky and anxious but giving it everything I've got
Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I really liked the 30 Day Sobriety Solution by Dave Andrews and Jack Canfield. It walks you through the first 30 days, give you lots of tips for dealing with emotions/thoughts that arise, offers a forum, videos, daily practices and helps you confront some of the areas of your life that may be the root of your alcoholism in the first place.

It's non-religious, and explores lots of different "lenses"/metaphors/theories so that you can sort of pick and choose what resonates the best with you. I've read dozens of books on quitting, but this is one that I found to be really unbiased in its approach.

It's also available as an audiobook, which means you can listen to it doing mundane stuff as well. It's definitely worth a shot!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stay close to this site.
That'll help.

If you're feeling physically bad, you might consider medical attention- withdrawals from alcohol can be dangerous.

Wishing you well.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Woo24 View Post
The AA is not an option for me as I'm really not religious and don't find it very helpful.

Thank you.
it would be nice to know what all you have done with AA to say it isnt helpful.
im not religious either, yet AA helped me recover from the hopeless state of mind and body and i havent had a drink in a few years.
given me a pretty nice life to boot.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Woo - hows it going?

D
Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not far enough into being sober to have any useful advice.

I can wish you good luck though and tell you that you WILL feel better, and it IS worth all the unpleasant stuff you are going through right now.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AA is an option. The religious bit? Some do that, but that is not what is about. I do not like AA sometimes, but it works. It works because people show to themselves they make a commitment to their sobriety by attending. It works because people share- by saying stuff our closest family would not. Because it gets me out of my head space. Because it gives me as much freedom from the dark vaults of my mind for free- as any therapist does (which I do as well).
Yes 'god' is mentioned.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

STUPID COMPUTER...

god is mentioned. I used this as an excuse not to go to AA. After all I was not a port drinking (from a paperbag) alcoholic that lives in a shelter...yet.
I did everything to prove is was not an alcoholic. That somehow I was different. I am and I am not. At least give it a go...what have you got to lose? Try 2 meetings. Do not leave, just sit, eyes closed and listen beyond the words. To the pain, the successes- the commonality all who go to AA have- alcoholism.
Support to you.