Notices

Recommendations for help (day 1)

Old 07-08-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I spent a lot of time here on SR early on. Staying connected and communicating with people on here kept me feeling supported and focused. Isolation was the kiss of death for me.

Wishing you the best!
Old 07-09-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

While I am a dedicated AA-er, I am going to back our conversation down to a simple question: have you accepted that you are done drinking for good?

After that, you GET to decide what to do beyond not drinking. And you don't have to get sober "hoping for the best", "giving it your all" or any other phrase us alcoholics have and like to use as excuses to say "well, I tried!" when we drink again. Because 99% of the time, or more, we would do just that if we rely just on ourselves.

And that is not touting AA - it is me saying that a program of action of some kind, one that teaches me a new way to handle problems, to find peace and hope in life, to really learn to "do" life the very best I can....that's what I needed in order to stay sober, once I made the decision to quit drinking permanently.

Best to you. Hope to see you around. And, don't drink- today.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So ashamed to admit that I relapsed. Day 1 begins again today. Got films and water ready, got some books to read, gonna try staying on here as much as I can. Thanks so much guys for your suggestions, I'm going to try my damn best.

Also just wanted to say that I've attended a couple of AA meetings in prior attempts at stopping drinking but did not find much comfort there. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's just not a method I find helpful for myself.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

no ofeense here, Woo. i didnt get ANY comfort from attending meetings. i knew for a fact getting sober wasnt going to be something a fairy would be able to sprinkle pixie dust over me and BAM!! im sober and happy!
what i did to was go to meetings regularly for the support of people who had been in my shoes.
and worked the program to recover and find comfort- to find inner peace and serenity. even that took months of work.putting it simply, going to meetings and not drinking didnt treat the alcoholism i had.

best of luck on your journey and i just hope ya find a program/plan that fits and ya work it.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Woo - are you against AA specifically or meetings in general?

Both SMART Recovery and LifeRing have a good presence in the UK, particularly in the towns and cities.

http://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/

LifeRing UK - LifeRing

D