Notices

Stupid stunts or happenings while drunk

Old 07-06-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Soberado

Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
A lot off ppl seem to have negative feelings about "drunkalogs" or the dangerous and silly things we did while drunk, as if it's somehow counter productive to sobriety. I'm not one of them. In fact, personally I think it helps. In the first place it reminds us of where we came from, and it also serves as healthy warning to those of us who hadn't quite hit the point. Some will complain that it's glamorizing alcoholism of course, but those of us who have been there and done that are fully aware that there's nothing glamorous about it. We are not a glum lot. If we can't laugh at the insanity, we'd cry. Personally, I've done enough crying. Just my two cents.
This is exactly why I shared this about me as you stated perfectly above. Granted everybody's perspective and interpretation of what I wrote will be different, by no means was it to "glorify" alcoholism. Rather it was for me to entertain some and laugh at myself, something I have not done all that much when I was drinking.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Right before I got sober, when my life was circling the drain and there was seemingly nothing I could do about it, my life reminded me of the title to a book written by a fallen football player titled "When All the Laughter Dies in Sorrow."

At this point, thoughts of pretty much any aspect (or specific incident) of my drinking life makes me cringe all over.

The longer I stay sober, the more these crises slip into the inner recesses of my mind and memory.

Please stick around.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Craziest thing I ever did sober was pick up the first drink.

Toward the end of my drinking I was teaching a couple buddies to scuba dive. They were doing their advance navigation course while I waited for them I had fallen asleep. My buddies didn't navigate back to me correctly so they had to surface off course. They didn't see my bubbles so they decided to just kick back in and would meet me at the shore. After about another 30 minutes they hadn't seen me surface yet. So one of them swam back out and dropped in on my bubbles. I was fast asleep. Luckily I was about 15' of water. Probably some of the best sleep I ever got during my boozing but I wouldn't recommend it. This one situation reminds me of how grateful I am to have sobriety. My HP was looking out for me. If I had been at 18' or deeper I would have certainly ran out of air and aspirated water and who knows the outcome.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Scary stuff Done 4.

I kind of agree that some our drinking stories can be humorous...and humour is important. But has always been important to me to remember the extreme seriousness of situations I landed in rather than glorify them.

Gallows humour is probably more useful than 'Fishing Stories' or boasts where I might be tempted to glorify my scrapes or go one better than the last guy.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Seems to me that if you didn't like to relive those sorts of things, you'd just avoid clicking on a thread called "Stupid stunts or happenings while drunk".
Old 07-06-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Craziest thing I ever did sober was pick up the first drink.

Toward the end of my drinking I was teaching a couple buddies to scuba dive. They were doing their advance navigation course while I waited for them I had fallen asleep. My buddies didn't navigate back to me correctly so they had to surface off course. They didn't see my bubbles so they decided to just kick back in and would meet me at the shore. After about another 30 minutes they hadn't seen me surface yet. So one of them swam back out and dropped in on my bubbles. I was fast asleep. Luckily I was about 15' of water. Probably some of the best sleep I ever got during my boozing but I wouldn't recommend it. This one situation reminds me of how grateful I am to have sobriety. My HP was looking out for me. If I had been at 18' or deeper I would have certainly ran out of air and aspirated water and who knows the outcome.
Holy [expletive deleted]. That's unique for sure, brother!
Old 07-06-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by applewakesup View Post
Seems to me that if you didn't like to relive those sorts of things, you'd just avoid clicking on a thread called "Stupid stunts or happenings while drunk".
Well, one glance at the thread title and people are going to have feelings and opinions. I don't see any of the responses as being UNsupportive.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I don't take myself too seriously. I can look back and laugh (and cringe) on the things I did while drunk.

I had the cops called on me once because I was drunk in a McDonald's at 2am screaming at them for not making me a chicken mcnugget mcflurry. I was slamming my fists on the counter and sobbing. Not a pretty sight.
😂🤣🤣..brilliant ! Made my day this one :-)
Old 07-09-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Too many to count, and most of them I don't remember.....instead I heard about it from other people ~ a giant inexplicable bruise on my leg and bump on my head .....someone told me I took a huge spill while dancing on the bar......one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" moments ~ ~

#8 (The lawn mower one) made me LOL
Old 07-10-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I guess I have mixed feelings about these "war stories" threads, so I'll post a depressing one: I hurt a lot, and I mean, a lot of people. I burned through several relationships. I destroyed people's lives with my insanity. I did things that I can never forgive myself for.

And not to get too oppressive, here's a fun one: I passed out halfway on and halfway off a heavily used bike trail and used my expensive road bike as a pillow.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I would add getting married to my list of stunts, poor decisions, etc.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Too many dumb things to count. Roughly $12,000 in legal fees. Solid amount of relationships ruined.

Happenings: me thinking I was hilarious and running my mouth. Or being black out drunk and being an a$$hole to my wife, sneaking out of the house to drink more or go to a strip club and make out with strippers.

Yea I was a quite the awesome dude while drinking
Old 07-10-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Drove myself to the hospital still drunkish and going through withdrawal.
Sent flirty text messages to my married and much older than me boss.

So much shame and embarrassment. I haven't made an ass out of myself in 28 days though :p
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i think its important to be careful and not glorify it. its good to look back and laugh, but it can be simple for alcoholism to be thinkin,"keep thinkin like that. remember how fun it was?"

im greatful to know NOTHING causes me relapse except me.
and relapse ends with a drink.
i spent many years blaming people, places, and things for my drinking. it was time for me to take responsibility and accountability for my actions.
I am new in sobriety and I cringe outwardly at thoughts of my drunken behavior.

I am so happy to be sober.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Soberado

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
I am new in sobriety and I cringe outwardly at thoughts of my drunken behavior.

I am so happy to be sober.
We have all made a fool out of ourselves while drinking, people do mostly forget these things. Don't be so hard on yourself, its all upside now for fixing the problem.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I don't take myself too seriously. I can look back and laugh (and cringe) on the things I did while drunk.

I had the cops called on me once because I was drunk in a McDonald's at 2am screaming at them for not making me a chicken mcnugget mcflurry. I was slamming my fists on the counter and sobbing. Not a pretty sight.
That is good stuff! I have not laughed that much in a week or two! Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-12-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

All the regular stuff, but the worst was a below-the-belt moment where, in a blackout, I sent the nastiest texts imaginable to two people (a husband and wife). I've cleared up a lot of the blowback this past year, but this one still haunts me. I've written about it on the other forum links, so here it is here (this was on "why I drink today":

I miss being in eighth grade again-- oh, wait, that effect was achieved some twenty years later while being blackout loaded on the event in which I texted a very mature, and caring couple (who had supported me through the nonsense) and relayed to them things my husband had said about their looks and aging. That was a shining moment, one that I fondly recall. I don't cringe or want to bury my head in the sand because that's how all ethical people act.

I also loved the sweet surprise of seeing those texts days after the blackout was finished (but, not knowing if I was sober/drunk, etc., it all felt the same). Those little golden surprise nuggets were everywhere--on my phone, FB, etc. It was like an easter egg hunt and trying to find the golden egg! Then, wondering what was inside.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I did an awful lot of stupid sutff, luckily never really anything that caused serious trouble except dents in my pride. I missed countless flight, buses and trains as i got too drunk...
One of the most stupid things i did was, at a time i was working for a music magazine, and was invited as a VIP to a huge festival where a lot of my fave bands were playing... i got the trip and everything for free to write a review of the concerts... once i got there i got so wasted for the whole week i didn't manage to see any bands at all, never even found my own tent, just slept on the ground... when I got home i looked up reviews of the festival online and wrote my articles based on what i read in other people's articles, as I hadn't seen one single band
Old 07-16-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just the one- the final one. Booze, blackout with a ciggie in mouth. Fibreglass shoulder splint caught alight, turned molten. 4th degree burns to 20% of body, family disowned me, died 3 times, then homeless.
Nearly 18 months sober, safe and doing very well- with a defiant rage that I became the thing I hated most.