Notices

Year 2 Blues

Old 07-09-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am tempted every once in a while but I know now, that there is nothing left in a drink for me. It stopped working for me...and that's why I had to quit. I could never shut off my head no matter how much I drank. The thought of throwing away 2+ years of sobriety for a panic attack inducing sip of alcohol....no thanks. The suffering I would endure...I would suffer, I would not feel relief. And I know this.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This thread hit home with me. I'm at sixteen months now and I am afraid of letting my guard down while on vacation next month. I need to make sure I stay vigilant, because truthfully, I feel really confident right now and maybe even a little egotistical about how I've been able to stay sober.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
There's a good speaker on this subject, terrible twos. Can't find the link but check on youtube the speaker is Tom Brady Jr from North Carolina. He talks about it in a couple of his talks about emotional sobriety. Good luck
This is where my focus, heart and behavior lie. It precedes my physical sobriety - it is how I live and turn to my program (AA) in all things, and that does include my spiritual/religious component (step 11 in AA).

Are you following any program? IMO and IME, having a peaceful, fun, happy life in sobriety is intimately connected to my worldview, which is sculpted by AA and Christianity. My world makes sense now, and when it doesn't (ie when my emotional sobriety gets uneven) I have things and resources- and people, including my sponsor, fiance, close friends- to turn to for help.

I am at nearly 17 mo and agree with you- never going back to the booze. Hope you find peace and smoothness through this second year!!