Notices

Need to try again

Old 06-29-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to try again

I am back here after a couple of months. I managed to stay sober for about 2 weeks then started drinking again. Now I am even worse and feeling trapped in a cycle of depression and booze. I am back here at least, I know I need to stop now. I will give this another go. x
Old 06-29-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RavenWings View Post
I am back here after a couple of months. I managed to stay sober for about 2 weeks then started drinking again. Now I am even worse and feeling trapped in a cycle of depression and booze. I am back here at least, I know I need to stop now. I will give this another go. x
Hi there. Sending best wishes your way
Old 06-29-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

glad ya made it back, raven.
boy, iffen i would have gotten sober when i needed to get sober, i would have gotten sober about 20 years before i did.
i had to want to get and stay sober and be willing to do whatever was necessary.
so, in a post of yours the last time you were here, ya said ya had the tools.
what happened to the tools?
Old 06-29-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Raven. I found myself in your situation several times too - thinking that I would be able to just "cut back" or "just have a couple". But like you I ended up usually even worse off than the time before.

There is a way out though...the cycle can be broken. Hope you can stick around with us and make this be the time that it works for you.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back RavenWings

any ideas on what you might do differently this time?
D
Old 06-29-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello raven. Don't give in, keep busy Try again.
Myself I realized after decades of repeating my start stop drinking cycles, is basically summed up like in the old quote:
'Insanity is repeating the same mistakes over and over and expecting different results'..
Stay strong.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad your back raven. I relapsed a bunch of times. Learn from your mistake and try again. Just don't give up.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you made the decision to come back, RavenWings. You learned something - now you'll be even more determined. You can do it!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The thing I learnt from my failed attempts to stop drinking was that I did not know how to stay stopped. I could stop, no problem, for hours, days, sometimes a week, even once a couple of months. But such spells were usually miserable, and I would find myself drinking again, often without any conscious thought.

On my own I could not break that cycle. I tried a number of things over time, like rehab, counselling, relocating, changing girlfriends (until no self respecting girl would have anything to do with me) new jobs (until I became unemployable). I did not try inspirational or self help books because I had the concentration span of a gnat and could not take anything in. I had a long list of failures. Of course what didn't work for me does sometimes work for others.

The point is I tried different things, each failure being a stepping stone to ultimate success. If you really want to move toward recovery, maybe you should do something different.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support and replies. Did not want to drink today but had almost a whole bottle of wine left in the house. Feeling lousy. Running out usually puts me in a state of panic and I would have gone to the shop by now to make sure I had enough. Instead I boiled the kettle and am drinking peppermint tea now. Also I have nothing left in the house so I cannot have a cheeky glass at lunchtime tomorrow. Mind you, the glasses have been getting earlier and earlier. I do it to feel better because my head is a bit of a mess but I know it is making me worse. All I have to do now is not go to the shop and get through tomorrow. One hour at a time ay? Wish me luck.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yay!!
GOOD LUCK!
J
Old 06-30-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by RavenWings View Post
All I have to do now is not go to the shop and get through tomorrow. One hour at a time ay? Wish me luck.
On my fist day without a drink, I did the same, PLUS I rang AA and spent an afternoon with a recovered alcoholic. That seems to have worked out pretty good. Of course, I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you raven. You can do it.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just don't drink. ACCEPTANCE is the key. Surrender is another key. Just resolve to the fact that you can't drink again. It's time to move forward without being drunk. You can do this. Hang in there raven. We're here for ya.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back, RavenWings. Good to hear that you are going to give sobriety another go.

Have you ever formulated a plan for sobriety?

A plan could make all the difference in your success.

I'll post a couple of links to some very good SR threads that you may find helpful.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As promised:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=Psst
Old 06-30-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The other:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...=recovery+plan
Old 07-05-2017, 07:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Raven.
The early days are tough but it is SO worth it.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello Ravenwings

I am starting again myself this week having been trapped in the same cycle you describe for years.

I know I can do it this time and so can you. Trying to keep busy and visiting this forum as often as I can. I usually find that too much time to think will lead me back into drinking regularly. I would recommend finding anything that you enjoy that will occupy your mind as well as coming here daily.

We begin the climb again.