Notices

panic attacks

Old 04-24-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

panic attacks

I haven't had a drink for just over a month which I'm very proud of....but since I've stopped i've been getting panic attacks.....I thought that by the month mark I would be done with this......anybody have this happen to them when they quit drinking? It really gets me down.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi Pennywise,

Congratulations on a Month Sober!

I also experienced panic attacks new into recovery. I found that talking it out with others in recovery put my mind at ease a bit, just knowing I wasn't going crazy and that many of us experience them was comforting. Stopping drinking for an Alcoholic is a huge shock to our system, both mental and physical. A lot of stuff we are drowning while we are drinking rises to the surface all at once and it can be overwhelming to say the least. Over time, as I dealt with the issues at hand (one at a time) the panic attacks got fewer until they stopped. Every blue moon one might try to get me, but I have tools to keep my head on straight now.

Hugs, it will get better,

Cathy
Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dealt with panic and serious anxiety when I stopped drinking.
Nerves are jangly and raw and we don't have our familiar tool (booze) to ease the tension.
Through CBT, I learned to deal with the thoughts and feelings that I experienced. I can't recommend it enough.
That said, you may find it gets better by itself, although I would absolutely recommend seeing a CBT therapist.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I also dealt with panic and anxiety after I quit drinking. It could be argued that panic and anxiety might have been one of the reasons I started drinking in the first place, but that is all in the past of course.

Being sober for a month is a fantastic achievement - and congrats are due. But in the mental health timeline, it's still very early on. It can take literally months for our minds to start re-adjusting to not being sedated all the time. Because that's literally what happens- alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so once we stop it basically kicks everything into overdrive. I remember being hyper sensitive to anything - light, sound, and I was unbelievably jumpy and anxious. I used to have panic attacks in the line at the grocery store or waiting for the traffic light to change - for literally no apparent reason at all.

For me the long term solution was to seek therapy and come to find out I had Clinical GAD. I've learned a lot of tools over the past few years that really help a lot - and I rarely have full blown panic attacks anymore as I can catch things before they spiral out of control.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank heavily for about 16 years without any anxiety issues, then one day it just happened. Full blown panic attack - thought I was having a heart attack. After that day, anxiety and panic attacks became more frequent, until they eventually became an everyday occurrence. Mostly in the morning while hungover, but sometimes in the afternoon too. I received some medication from my doctor to help with my 3 week detox, and that medication also put the brakes on anxiety.

I haven't had any anxiety issues since I stopped drinking.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nez

Let go of expectations.

When l learned to ski, I lived in ski resort and went skiing every day. At the 30 day mark, I was better than I was on the first day, but I was nowhere near the skier I would be by 60 days, 90 days, etc.

My sobriety can be viewed in the same light.

Cut yourself some slack. Give yourself credit for progress made. Let go of expectations and enjoy progress as it unfolds. It is all good...and beautiful!

My progress didn't happen on my time frame, but my time frame was merely an expression of my self-will. My self-will is not my friend. It qualified me for my chair in the rooms of recovery. Letting go of my self-will, keeps me here. Thankful and grateful.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to the doctors today about the panic attacks and we both agreed that I needed anti-deppresents medication..... because it was getting out of hand. I've been on them before and they helped. But I think with more sober time and the medication it will make things easier. There's no quick fix.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pennywise View Post
But I think with more sober time and the medication it will make things easier. There's no quick fix.
Meds sure helped me. I'm not a nervous person at all but when anxiety came calling, I felt it from head to toe.
Meds and CBT helped me get on top of it.