Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Drinking--Bigger potential problem than I once thought

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soberado

Hello all!

I just returned from a street festival in a small town by me and alcohol was being served big time both beer and liquor. Back in my drinking days (eight weeks ago) I never paid much attention to the amounts that people actually drink, you see the typical "bush league" rookies to some very heavy hitters at these events. This time I wasn't drinking which gave me time to watch people let loose and drink till their hearts were content. What astonished me was the high number of drinkers versus non-drinkers at roughly 60/40, with the 40% mostly being spouses with disgusted looks on their faces. See, when I was drinking I never noticed or cared how much people drank because I was right in the mix with them while my wife sneered and scowled in the background at my behavior. Being able to see the world more clearly recently, I realized today that problem drinking is a much bigger issue than I thought.

Today was the first day since I quit that I was directly in the line of fire being around beer and liquor drinkers, although I am no way out of the woods, I am glad and thankful to be sober.

Have a good week everybody!
Old 06-17-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is quite an eye opener to be around drunk people once we sober up, isn't it? Glad you made it through the event.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good Job on two months
Old 06-17-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Always interesting to people watch.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice job on your 2 months! it is a real eye opener. It's nice to be able to get in my vehicle and drive home not looking in my rear view mirror and waking up bright and early feeling great!!

I was at a wedding last weekend and I saw the insanity play out right in front of my eyes. I stayed for a few hours ate a bunch of food, listened to a good band and left.. it was a great time.. when I was new in recovery I always thought people would wonder why I wasn't drinking.. it was a huge milestone for me when I realized people really could care less..

Thanks for the post!! Great observation!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

great job on 2 months !! Im no hypocrite just because Ive stopped drinking myself but isnt it amazing that you can smell the beer or booze too, Ive notice that recently