Notices

First cravings

Old 06-12-2017, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First cravings

I was doing pretty well, I'm into 2 weeks sober and didn't have any cravings until my wife had a glass of wine tonight and I sort of went into mourning. Having a glass of wine while cooking was always my thing, and tonight, I missed it. Sparkling water just didn't make me feel the same. I know I just need to get used to it, but I think I'm going to miss the ritual more than I thought I was.

Like most of you, I really wish I didn't have this disease. It's so frustrating to watch all of the other people around me be able to enjoy a glass of wine with the knowledge that I just can't. I guess that's what people with nut allergies feel like out in the wild...
Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kudos to you for making it through! Old habits are hard to break, but as you said, those with nut allergies can't eat nuts. But that does not mean that they can't have great lives. There are a lot of things that we all can't do...for us drinking is just another one of them. Again, congrats!
Old 06-13-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 weeks! I can so 100% relate to the cooking ritual. I absolutely loved having a little drink while making something fabulous. But then over time I began to let myself feel a little too fabulous, and next thing I know I'm waking up to half finished whatever and a whole lot of wasted inspiration (and food). My ex finally wouldn't even let me cook until I got it under control because I was a total liability​ in the kitchen. Letting go of that habit has brought creative cooking back into my life!

I'm not sure if cravings like that will ever go away completely. I still sometimes want an ice cold margarita or gin and tonic, as those were such integral parts of my past summers. But as you said, it is an allergy... If you were allergic to strawberries and they made you pass out and feel sick, you'd avoid them even though you love them!! I often remind myself of this with alcohol :-) congratulations​ again, and keep it up!
Old 06-13-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome gawainissober

It's rough at the beginning, but with time, I came to prefer being sober.

What other people did no longer bothered me because I know, I was better without alcohol.

Until you reach a similar mindset, lean on the support here - this is a great place to be

D
Old 06-13-2017, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

congrats on two weeks sober gawainissober. I like to cook still. But when I was drinking I loved to cook and drink. Then again, I loved to drink and ..... (fill in the blank with anything). I now cook and actually remember what I put into the dish to repeat at a future date or not ever repeat it if it was bad.

I too used to wish I didn't have this disease/allergy/illness whatever label you put to it. Now I have embraced it and am grateful that there is a solution as long as I put a little work in everyday. I never enjoyed having a couple drinks. So I would never want to be a social drinker. I am grateful that I learned about my disease and the solution has made me a better person. My life has been enriched by me going out of my way to help others. In the past I would have thought helping others was a burden, now I am grateful to be given an opportunity to spend time with others.

You'll create new rituals that are more enjoyable and precious without booze. Good luck
Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by gawainissober View Post
I guess that's what people with nut allergies feel like out in the wild...
People with nut allergies aren't addicted to nuts. They probably don't long for the "ritual" of eating nuts, or miss the feeling a bowl of nuts gave them.

You're addicted and your thoughts about alcohol reflect that. Recovery is about learning how addiction messes with our brain as well as showing us how to live and love a sober life.